Headlight wiring help (H4 plug for relay to h13 bulb) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mud,

Hoping someone can help me answer this question... I received my new projector installed headlights, and the relay harness they supplied has a H4(?) plug on the trigger end (where it should plug into the existing bulb plug). I don't mind depinning and changing plugs, but I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for this morimoto motocontol relay (besides the supplied one that says "connect to existing headlight socket). As you can see in the picture, there are 3 wires...brown, white and blue. Obviously the stock headlights only have 2 wires at the bulb plug...red and black. Does anyone have any experience with which way the relay wires should be run to the existing bulb wiring?

Thanks in advance, and I will be sure to post pictures and a review after everything is together.

20200814_150931.jpg

20200814_150938.jpg

20200814_150944.jpg

20200814_150950.jpg

Quick update, I did find a diagram that details this harness a little better. It seems bi-xenon have a high and low beam in the same projector? It would seem to me that I would need to run a trigger wire from the high beams to the "blue" wire on this harness if I wanted the high beams in the projector to come on with the regular high beams. I am keeping the normal 9005 high beams. Can anyone confirm/expand on this?

Thanks again everyone.

Screenshot_20200814-153211_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20200814-153321_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

That's what makes them bi-xenon is the shutter function. Its looking for the trigger as you identified in the second schematic. Looks like you're just adding the trigger for high beam on the shutter and running everything off of the battery for power. I'd be curious as to your new setup. Why not just use stock ballasts and wiring? You can still wire the trigger off of the high beam and save some time, money, and simplicity. I am assuming you're trying to put in 13+ headlights or did you get an original 2008-2011 set that you had modified for projectors?

Edited for clarity:

Seems like it would be the trigger side harness for ground, (low beam) bulb power, and (high beam) solenoid power.

If you map those to the ground, low beam and high beam on your 200 vehicle side light harness, it should work for you.

As I recall the shutter is a piece of metal that cuts off part of the beam (low beam) and flips up for the bright light (high beam).

Last edited:
That's what makes them bi-xenon is the shutter function. Its looking for the trigger as you identified in the second schematic. Looks like you're just adding the trigger for high beam on the shutter and running everything off of the battery for power. I'd be curious as to your new setup. Why not just use stock ballasts and wiring? You can still wire the trigger off of the high beam and save some time, money, and simplicity. I am assuming you're trying to put in 13+ headlights or did you get an original 2008-2011 set that you had modified for projectors?

Hey, the company modified a new set of 2008 headlights. Honestly, I didn't buy these. The guy I bought the truck from had already ordered them when I bought the truck, but they hadn't been delivered yet. I originally planned on selling them, but when they finally made it to me I thought they looked really good.

15974394422926982477916833724718.jpg

20200812_130352.jpg

15974394977254375879355153728305.jpg

15974395126886696740394892241413.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like it would be ground, bulb power, and shutter solenoid power. As I recall the shutter is a piece of metal that cuts off part of the beam (low beam) and flips up for the bright light (high beam).

That's what I am thinking also. Since I am keeping the stock high beams, I would send that signal by tapping the positive side of the high beams bulb wire, essentially using that as the source that flips up the shield. Is that sort of what you are implying? Thanks.

Last edited:
I happen to have some in the shop from an old project that I ended up using a newer version of the Morimotos. I think what you might have is kind of the trigger side, where you have a ground, a + for the low beam and a + for the high beam. The stock harness acts as the trigger wire for the Morimoto relay box. There are output leads from the relay box to the high and low circuits on the bi-xenon units. One for low, and one for high beams. The low beam powers the bulb, and the high beam triggers the shutter to open.

Mine look like this - you can see a blade like piece of metal in the middle attached to the solenoid, that is the shutter:
image.jpg

B9FEEF7D-31B9-48EF-85C1-78FEFB1FB1BE.jpeg

Update.. so headlights are in. Wired off existing low beam plug, and tapped the high beam positive as the trigger for the bi-xenon cutoff shields (as mentioned above). I figured the shields would be up anytime the headlights were off because the daytime running lights are through the high beams. That wasn't a big deal because I didn't think the daytime running lights had power when the low beams turned on. It seems my assumption was incorrect. The high beam positive signal seems constant so the bi-xenon shields are always up. Maybe the high beams are triggered by the negative wire? Any who, lights look great, I will just have more to play with before they are functioning properly.

May try to plastidip the chrome on the outside of the grille to a body color match. We will see.

20200815_132856.jpg

20200815_154849.jpg

20200815_154858.jpg

20200815_154903.jpg

At least on my test morimotos, the rest position of the bi-xenon is shield down. The shield is only lifted (solenoid activated, aka high beam) only when 12v+ is applied.

I wonder, if as you say, it is ground switched, if you need a relay in the middle to trigger off the ground wire in the highbeam harness. This was definitely not the case in the 100 series that I installed bi-xenons in...

Last edited:
Totally forgot about that. Go into the vehicle settings on the nav menu and turn off the daytime running lights. Should solve that problem.

Edit: I have a 2008 so I can't do it though the nev screen, but I do have a techstream cable on order. Thanks for that suggestion, it will save me a few headaches.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Then I'd just disconnect the trigger until you get it sorted. It'll solve the cutoff issue. Shutter remains engaged when unpowered.

Yeah, that is how I have it now. I'm just trying to come up with a future game plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom