Headlight wire harness FJ60 and FJ62 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I understand that, I have built a few engine swap harnesses for people. And if I could have paid someone else to do it (and trust them) it'd would have been a no brainer.
Wiring is definitely an under appreciated skill. I'd have no problem paying 350+ for a top shelf, tested product.
Especially nowadays with all the frustrating supply shortages and price hikes.
I have been asked numerous times to build harnesses for people. I find that they’re usually willing to pay about 25-30% of the price I’d need to make it worth my time unfortunately. Not trying to speak for OP, just echo that my experience is similar. I’d need WAY more than $350 to build a full harness. The parts would probably cost more than that in the first place. I’d have hours and hours in chasing down all the connectors, some from Toyota, some reproductions, and finding suitable alternatives when neither of those exist. My time spent on parts sourcing would probably cost $350. With the abundance and stupid low price of Toyota’s Koito headlight upgrade kit, there’s no sense in making a headlight harness either. I’ve seen some vintage VW and Porsche specialty suppliers selling what is obviously that exact harness (stripped out of the OEM Toyota box) for close to $100. The VW & Porsche communities must not be aware of the Toyota kit.

I have been asked numerous times to build harnesses for people. I find that they’re usually willing to pay about 25-30% of the price I’d need to make it worth my time unfortunately. Not trying to speak for OP, just echo that my experience is similar. I’d need WAY more than $350 to build a full harness. The parts would probably cost more than that in the first place. I’d have hours and hours in chasing down all the connectors, some from Toyota, some reproductions, and finding suitable alternatives when neither of those exist. My time spent on parts sourcing would probably cost $350. With the abundance and stupid low price of Toyota’s Koito headlight upgrade kit, there’s no sense in making a headlight harness either. I’ve seen some vintage VW and Porsche specialty suppliers selling what is obviously that exact harness (stripped out of the OEM Toyota box) for close to $100. The VW & Porsche communities must not be aware of the Toyota kit.
Yeah in my experience people often don't consider the implicit cost of high dollar specialty tools, buying in bulk to get a decent price on materials, spools of high quality wire, pins, terminals, connectors. Then shipping to you on all that stuff. I always lost track of everything and just ate it. But now I have boxes and boxes of dtm connector components lmao. A silver lining I guess.

Yeah in my experience people often don't consider the implicit cost of high dollar specialty tools, buying in bulk to get a decent price on materials, spools of high quality wire, pins, terminals, connectors. Then shipping to you on all that stuff. I always lost track of everything and just ate it. But now I have boxes and boxes of dtm connector components lmao. A silver lining I guess.
I already buy some 6awg Ancor cable and some smaller gauges/various colors of Yazaki wire in bulk for products that I make, but I would need to gear up with a WHOLE lot of other stuff. I’m mainly a 60 guy and have gotten requests for those trucks, but also for 40s too which is gonna be a whole other set of connectors. It’s a lot. You’re right on the equipment too: various sizes of expensive crimpers, a good solder station. Quality components are expensive, heck hood ring terminals are a couple bucks apiece. And if I ever said yes to a project like that I would refuse to save a few bucks on Amazon-grade junk. Not even low grade harness wrap. Think about the time you’d spend creating a pegboard layout for harness making too! The list goes on.

I already buy some 6awg Ancor cable and some smaller gauges/various colors of Yazaki wire in bulk for products that I make, but I would need to gear up with a WHOLE lot of other stuff. I’m mainly a 60 guy and have gotten requests for those trucks, but also for 40s too which is gonna be a whole other set of connectors. It’s a lot. You’re right on the equipment too: various sizes of expensive crimpers, a good solder station. Quality components are expensive, heck hood ring terminals are a couple bucks apiece. And if I ever said yes to a project like that I would refuse to save a few bucks on Amazon-grade junk. Not even low grade harness wrap. Think about the time you’d spend creating a pegboard layout for harness making too! The list goes on.
Man I know, I can never let something be either. It will eat at me knowing i can do it correctly if* i try to just "make it work" like people ask.
Last one was an ae86 dash harness repair. Completely butchered had to de loom the whole thing just to realize how bad it was. Took way too long. Missing a lot of unobtainable plugs etc.
So normal

I'm troubleshooting a headlight issue in my 60 that runs a SLCFJ62 harnesses, and using the Toyota Koito H4 setup.

The passenger side headlamp operates very dimly. Highbeams work and H4 Bulbs are new. If I go back to stock harness, low and high beams works fine. (Can I assume that eliminates the stock switches?)

I swapped fuses and relays from a second harness in another 60, but the problem remains. I did some continuity/resistance testing on the wiring and Bussman box after I pulled the harness out, but realistically I'm a slow learner on electrical stuff. Do I need to keep that powered to test correctly?

Could the dim passenger headlight bulb be a ground issue in the harness? I'm not seeing any physical problems in the wiring or connections so far...

Check the connector. Sometimes those ceramic connectors get corrosion inside. Try the wiggle test or just cut it off and replace.

If you use high watt bulbs, get a ceramic plug from h4 straight female ceramic pigtail 12 Gauge H4 9003 P43t | Autolumination - http://www.autolumination.com/wiring-electrical-connectors/light-bulb-bases-sockets-connectors-harnesses-plugs/hdl/h4-straight-female-ceramic-headlight-pigtail-connector-12-gauge.htm

I appreciate that link!

I was seeing minimal resistance between the battery and the stock headlight plugs/connectors, so I wired up the harness that came with the Kioto set from Toyota. Both headlights are working correctly,

I'll put SLC's harness on the workbench to investigate further after knocking out some other items. :steer:

Last edited:
Given that the koito harness works you can be sure the OEM wiring is good.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the plug is bad.

I really like those ceramic plugs for heat resistance but I have seen two of them go bad. Definitely the weak link in the ultimate harness.

Given that the koito harness works you can be sure the OEM wiring is good.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the plug is bad.

I really like those ceramic plugs for heat resistance but I have seen two of them go bad. Definitely the weak link in the ultimate harness.

How well-suited is the OEM Toyota / Koito harness to high-watt bulbs, other than upgrading it to ceramic connectors? Is it at least 14awg?

Edit: I think i misread your post. The Koito/OEM upgraded harness is fine with high watt bulbs. However I dont think high watt bulbs are necessary.

My initial reply below refers to the original OEM harness:

It is not suitable for high watt bulbs, or even standard watt bulbs once the wiring is old enough. It's not just the wiring either - it's also the connections at the fusebox, ignition switch, and combo (headlight) switch.

Upgraded harness takes the load off all those components.

As for bulbs, the Hella 100w bulbs don't perform that well (look for tests on TacomaWorld).

The Osram Nightbreaker standard watt bulb seems to be one of the best performers available. Personally I can't see a difference on the road between the Osram Super High Watt and the Osram Night breaker. I have one of each in my rig at the moment to test them out.

Last edited:
Edit: I think i misread your post. The Koito/OEM upgraded harness is fine with high watt bulbs. However I dont think high watt bulbs are necessary.

My initial reply below refers to the original OEM harness:

It is not suitable for high watt bulbs, or even standard watt bulbs once the wiring is old enough. It's not just the wiring either - it's also the connections at the fusebox, ignition switch, and combo (headlight) switch.

Upgraded harness takes the load off all those components.

As for bulbs, the Hella 100w bulbs don't perform that well (look for tests on TacomaWorld).

The Osram Nightbreaker standard watt bulb seems to be one of the best performers available. Personally I can't see a difference on the road between the Osram Super High Watt and the Osram Night breaker. I have one of each in my rig at the moment to test them out.

Heh, yes I was referring to the Koito/"OEM" harness that comes with the H4 housings in the Toyota box. I think that's the upgraded harness. Sorry for the confusion. It appears to be a pretty nicely made piece by all accounts.

The Hella 100w bulbs (and others) are not so worthwhile, but apparently the Osram Super Bright 100w/90w (SKU 62204SBP) bulbs are well regarded. crashnburn80 on Tacomaworld gives them the thumbs up, too.

FWIW The Koito glass housings with Osram Nightbreaker Laser bulbs is the best combo I’ve found so far. Still looks period correct on the truck too. The Sylvania bulbs that I’ve been seeing most of the kits are pretty good, but the Osrams are for sure better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom