headers on 2f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
yesterday i put in headers and a new exhust from man-a-fre. i got the exhust finally sitauted and i started her up. when i did, she sounded rought and i noticed exhust coming from the engine compartment, i cant see where though, but exhust is also coming out of the tail pipe which is a good sign. there is alot a exhust coming from around the engine and she wont idle, and has slow responce time. where did i mess up?

i had the same problem when i installed my headers. turned out that i was missing a vitale part. u can get it from man-a-fre.. part number 17171A for 68-74 17171B for 75-87. its called the fluid heat riser kit. part runs for $65
when u install headers u lose the stock heat riser, making for longer warm-ups, poor fuel economy, and rough running. as for the exhaust coming from the engine compartment, could be a gasket problem causing the exhaust to leak undetected.
nate

remind me never to use man-a-fre again. i have had the hardest problems with them. thanks for the advice.

my headers were from SOR, didn't find out about the fuild heat riser kit until i was going thru man-a-fre's catalog and found it and everything it says it corrected i had wrong with mine.

I just ran all winter with sor headers and no fluid riser on my fj60, it's got much higher compression than stock...it wasn't a problem for me here in MO, temps around 15 in the morning. I do have a fluid riser on my 40, and it does help, but it won't make a difference til you open the thermostat...It might just be paint burning off your new header? If not, you've got bad gaskets somewhere...did you desmog at the smae time? EGR ports all closed, all the vacuum ports to the carb and dist the way they need to be?

This may sound dumb... but are you sure it is exhaust?

I got a set of headers years ago (may have been Man-A-Fre) and they were painted black.  the first time I started the motor up the paint started cooking off and sent up a big cloud of smoke.  I had to run it for 30-40 minutes, all the while wondering what my neighbors were thinking, before all the paint burned off (it didn't catch fire or anything, just turned to smoke).

When I saw they were painted black I thought "Oh, that must be to help radiate the heat away and keep them from rusting" and afterwards I thought "Who's the &*$$%*@ idiot who put paint on a set of headers?!?!?!"

It may be running rough since the motor is running on smoke. &nbsp:Does it run better with the hood open?

Also, if it IS exhaust, it is most likely a gasket problem or the connection from header to the exhaust system.

i figured out the problem, my bumd ass didnt tighten the screws very well. opps. thanks for the advice anyway

Hey be sure to retorque the manifold bolts after 25 miles then 50 miles and 100 miles. Actually, CHECK the torque repeatedly until it does not change. Your headers are steel, not cast iron and they behave very differently when hot, the steel moves alot more.I don't know the specific torque settings but they are probably like22-25ft/lbs, so don't Gorilla 'em. There's also a sequence, like from the center out. Unless its really cold, my guess is that you ended up with a vacuum leak, like you said, bolts loose. GL :)
Ed Long

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom