head job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
in the tech section i was reading about soa awhile ago and there was this about the engine in there.. it goes...

Depending on the miles, $200 for a head job is money well spent and worth the small sense of security. Have it decked .050, have them drill, tap, and plug that durn weep hole over #5, and have them use flush hex plug on the air rail ports. don't waste your time with a 5 angle valve grind, just have them do a 3 angle, and replace those valves and springs that need replacing. There has been some chatter about Chevy valves being cut down, but, again, back to simple is better. If it ain't broke

anywho ill drop 200 for my 2f to be running better? my question is could really have that done for 200 and what all goes into the job? and can a local garage does this?
thanks -al

You could have it done for 200 or even less, but if you start needing to replace valves it starts going up, Ex. valves are $15 a piece. A head gasket set isn't cheap either, but I did just see one on Ebay.

The last part of that quote...If it aint broke....well is yours broke ? Cause if it aint...do F with it. My 02.

A HEAD job for $200????? You ought to get an "around the world" for that! At LEAST a half 'n' half.
Assuming it is an '82 motor, you've already got hardened valve seats, that would be my only legitimate input. For unleaded, you know. ;)
Ed

Figure $100-$125 for the machine work before valves and springs. most of the time you will not need them. Add $50 or so for the gasket set. Another $20 for fluids and such.

For what it is worth...I had this done on my 84 fj60 several months back. The bill from the machine shop was something like $240 (Burlington, VT). The rebuilt kit from man-a-fre was around 30-40 bucks. Along the way, the machine shop discovered a unrepairable crack. I unloaded $350 to cruiserparts.net for a used head. So, I am into a rebuilt head and basically a new top end for around 600 bucks (parts and machine labor). New heads, totally rebuilt are on the order of 900 bucks. Becareful what you start tinkering with. IMO....If you want a cheap, reliable off roader...more power can be had by purchasing 93 octane for less money than a rebuilt head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom