Head Gasket Repair, Observations, and now the rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the "Olde farmhouse" needs to read "Ye Olde Gnome Door"

Looks good. You're the only guy I know that spots on Daniel in flops, and pulls engines in Crocs...

Cheers to the new digs...:beer:

Only real men can pull that off buddy :grinpimp:

Its a step up from my normal working on truck attire of socks and and shorts (nothing else) when i'm working solo on my rig. If I could find crocs in my size i'd move up to Ole Greg cool

Once again, sweet house Greg! I'm glad I could help out with this stage of the rebuild. I'll let you know when I get up to your cousin's shop.

The motor has been delivered. Effing sweet shop that Greg's cousin runs :grinpimp:

Whoa, trippy man:smokin:
IMG_20120322_172404.jpg

IMG_20120322_172419.jpg

A solid 4 quarts of oil, if not more, were still in the motor. It subsequently rust proofed the entire interior of my truck ( this is after using 3/4 of a box of shop towels, and two bath towels, to soak it all up ). Also put a pretty good sized dent in the floor above the gas tank. As it turns out, a tire is not enough support for a whole motor:whoops: No worries though, she won't rust down here:D
IMG_20120322_172433.jpg

Much easier than an engine hoist
IMG_20120322_172442.jpg

As I said, sweet shop
IMG_20120322_172703.jpg

IMG_20120322_172745.jpg

IMG_20120322_172804.jpg

IMG_20120322_172818.jpg

Freshly rebuilt 1FZ-FE to follow:grinpimp:

Pictures and updates forthcoming....it's a marathon weekend for me and hope this thing is back on the road by next weekend at the latest. Let's just say having 315's and the j kit doesn't make for an easy install...nor does the fact that all my cruiser buddies are in another state. Nonetheless it's been enjoyable to be back tinkering with cruisers....more in the morning.

Updates and Photos

So after looking through various threads on what to put back in the bay I decided on going back factory, I really wanted to go with the 100 series V8 but when it came down to timing I decided to go back with the old reliable 1FZFE. Didn't want to deal with a loud diesel for something I am going to be hauling the family around in from time to time. Based on previous photos you can see the piston slap and cylinder scarring on #3 and we came to the conclusion that there were some passage blockages and a head gasket issue at the same time. Bottom end of the original motor looked great and the bearings were in great shape, as were the rods and wrist pins. Very strange but it is what it is....

After debating on the bore and rebuild I made a few calls and was able to locate 1 of the last 2 short blocks Mr. T had left in the country. So had it delivered to Fred Anderson and the build began. Had all the head work done and decked just a hair. Christopher threw everything back together and I picked it up last weekend in Durham. In the meantime I had the injectors cleaned and flow tested at InjectorRx in Houston, TX. Had the intakes cleaned, Jerry was helpful in powder coating with High Temp the exhaust manifolds, and new power steering pump. Having one small issue trying to locate the engine coolant drain plug, as the went to a new sub-assembly on the superceeded blocks, but I believe I have that one figured out this morning and am headed to local dealer shortly to place the order.

I have a few pics here and will update them as things progress. Hoping to have most of it buttoned up this afternoon or tomorrow...

Engine Small.jpg

Engine Small 2.jpg

Prep Picture.jpg

Last edited:
Few more photos

It was a daunting task getting the engine up and over the front radiator crossmember....I bet I shortened the chain 4 times (Johnny can verify this 20' chain was a bit much to start with). Removing the front wheels and still maintain enough room for hoist to fit between jack stands was challenging, all while getting the truck low enough.

All in all yesterday afternoon was a good day. Now on to bolting things up and getting it ready for priming and initial startup...more to follow later today.

Prep 2.jpg

prep 3.jpg

In the bay.jpg

Looks good there Greg.

Glad to see it going back together.

I fully expect to see it at the next Uwharrie event.

You do have a lot of chain there :D

That new Toyota block looks awesome man :D I can't wait to see it all buttoned up!!

soon.... very soon

Updated photos...it's alive.

Well was able to wrap everything up between the two weeks of travel and finally getting it back on the road. I was able to register it, get tags and insurance yesterday and had the new exhaust installed this morning.

I have a few small things to work out but very easy to manage and will work on them over the next few days. I have to reset the gear on the new power steering vane pump. and replace the o-ring on the suction port of the pump. I am setting the timing true this evening and then that should wrap things up. I have managed to put just over 55 miiles on it and I am very happy with the decision based on the timeline I was working around. One day I will build another truck with a diesel, for now it will become weekend wheeler and family hauler from time to time.

Enjoy the photos, and of course it wouldn't be right if I didn't give it a quick wash. Thanks again Jerry for the powdercoating help.

Stage 1.jpg

Stage 2.jpg

Stage 3.jpg

A few exhaust photos

Used Carolina Muffler and Brake after many recommendations. Steve and Travis were great to work with but a little higher than I was expecting but they where honest and worked with me a little on the price so in the end I was happy. Not like dealing with old Henry but I was running on original equipment so no chance I was going to risk driving it up to Raleigh.

He ran things so that they are all above points of contact, except for the crossover pipe to bring the exhuast inside the frame rail. He did that section so I could run a piece of plate below it to protect it and it wouldnt be any lower than my cat skid or trans skid.

I didn't want a loud truck so I went back with simple standard stuff. With highflow single cat.

Stage 4.jpg

Stage 5.jpg

Last edited:
well done.

Very cool Greg. Glad shes back up and running and looks great.
So .... good for another 200k or 40yrs at your pace :D conrgats!

I gotta get the new pipe bent like yours or my old setup or it'll never survive the first trip out.

I had to do the same thing Greg, after busting it up on Daniel, I went with a simple single coffee can cat. The guy did a good job and didn't cost me that much...

Now I need some sliders....

YES!!!! Does that mean you're going to come out wheeling soon? :steer:

Thanks Guys, to answer your question Johnny. Yes, just have to secure the hall passes in moderation right now...for the next 7 weeks I don't have one.

Only thing I really need to finish up is the rear knock sensor, I bump it and broke the connector when installing the motor. The ECU retards the timing between 1800-5200 because it isn't connected and throws a P0330 code. Makes it feel like it is missing so I am now searching to replace it with one this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom