Hdj81 won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, happy new year.

Bit of an issue with my 92 hdj81, could use some insight. Last couple weeks my truck was having problem starting. Starter would occasionally click but not turnover motor, after a few try's. It would eventually turnover but turned slowly and barley started.. I suspected the cold had zapped the batteries, which were less than 8 months old. I replaced the battery's to no avail. The starter continues to just click but not turnover, maybe only getting 12V?? What should be my next step trouble shooting?

Cheers.

Is starter getting full voltage? Is starter getting tired, bench test it. I don't own an 80 is it external or internal starter solenoid?

Finally got it started, starter works just fine. Pretty sure it's not getting 24v to starter. Takes 10-12 turns of the key and starter will click click and finally slowly turn motor over. Thinking it's the relay. Once I got it started I drove it to EBI, and parked it there. I'll let Steve diagnose it when he opens after the new year break. Any chance someone has a part number for this?

IMG_0508.JPG

@70sguy may have a few kicking around at his place.

They show NLA in Japan, were 85$ Canadian at the time.

Yeah, I've got some starter relays. Also have the 12-24v switching solenoids too, if it turns out to be that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom