HDJ81 or 4runner as DD and trail rig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I've been trying to weigh the pro's and con's of the 2 vehicles to see which would suit my purpose better. The vehicle would be a daily driver b/c it would be our only vehicle as well as expedition/trail rig. No hard core crawling, more to remote trail heads for hiking, camping. No lift, tires up to a 33" size and just wheel it as is. Maybe some sliders later. I currently own a lifted suzuki samurai fully locked with 4:1 T case gears and love how it can go most places. However it is not a practical vehicle for carrying people, getting to the ski hill and driving around town due to noise, comfort and handling due to the lift.

My evaluation would be based on both vehicles having similar mileage

JDM HDJ81
pros
-better fuel mileage
-solid axle, double locked
-cargo carrying capacity
-reliability
cons
-maintanence costs

99 4runner
pros
-newer vehicle
-possibly less maintanance
-reliable as well

cons
-worse mileage

The 2 big concerns is fuel mileage b/c it would be used daily for everything. And of course reliability and maintanence costs. I am used to doing my own wrenching on my Samurai but have grown frustrated at times with all all the maintanence of fixing it. Rebuild tranny, regear and add lockers to diffs, axle seals f and r, rebuilding driveshafts, engine seals, water pump, oil pump, fuel pump. Diagnosing misterey clunks. The mos time consuming was the diffs and tranny. Good experiances but things I would rather not do and have more time actually driving the vehicle. I do plan on leaving my full time job and going back to school full time so I will be a poor student with my girlfriend and student loans to support me.

I have read the newbie guide to owning an 80 series and I see the parts are expensive but if they reliable and service intervals are less would that offset the cost more then the 4runner? Please give me some insight! Thanks

you wont fit 33s in a 3rd gen runner without lift. hows your knowledge in the diesel dept? im guessing youre in canada? is there good parts/service support for jdms where you are? how does the gf (and you) like to drive on the right side of the vehicle? maintenance on an HDJ81 can get pricey if youve got to rebuild turbos, injection pumps etc etc. a poorly maintained/running diesel can get worse mileage than the 3.4L in the runner. the runner is marginally smaller than the 80, but for 2 people is more than adequate.

all things being equal, theyre both very reliable and an excellent running 1HDT can net you excellent gas mileage. if you want hassle free, familiar wrenching, get the runner. if youve got the time or $ to get a jdm up to spec, go for that.

and the ifs will give a better more comfy ride given same tires and oem suspension.

I live in Vancouver, BC so parts and service for the 80 would be ok. I've driven a friend's Surf and didn't mind the RHD. I agree, a big part of the answer lies in whether my GF feels comfortable with the size and the RHD of an 80. I know nothing about diesels. I will have less time and money once I restart school...It sounds like the 4runner is more appropriate. I'll have to put off my dream until later when I have money and time. Hassle free familiar wrenching sounds really applealing. I don't even know if I'll have access to a garage... Thank you for the quick reply. It's tough b/c I really really want an 80... but gotta think of what I need.

As much as I love 80s, it honestly sounds like a 4runner may be a better rig for you at the moment.

Yep sounds like the 4runner is better for you...but you should get the JDM anyway(they are cool)

sigh, unfortunately it sounds like the sensible thing to do right now. Thanks guys!

Forget sensible, what kind of trails do you want to run and how important is it to have traction? The 80 is the absolute best daily driver/serious trail rig. Think of the money you will spend on a '99 and newer 4 runner, then the lift, tires, lockers, gears etc. You can run the 33's with no lift on a cruiser and you get coil sprung 1 ton axles with lockers and stout drivetrain. I agree with the others if you are just wanting a grocery getter to run logging roads with, a 4 runner fits the bill. But if you are actually going to wheel, you can't beat the cruiser for off road prowless and on road comfort.

By far the diesel 81 will be a better longterm fit and they are not to pricey.

You can run the 33's with no lift on a cruiser and you get coil sprung 1 ton axles with lockers and stout drivetrain.

Do the 80 axles really compare to a 1 ton axle like a D60?

It sounds like the 4runner might fit the bill for you. But the HD81's are sweet and get pretty dang good mileage for a heavy pig. A lot of people drive 80's on a daily basis. I used to drive mine about 20-100 miles daily. Right now it just sits, but this summer it will get driven daily for at least the next 2 years. Kind of makes me sad to put miles on her because I never want to sell it, but it was built to be drive.

If you are wanting a truck that you dont have to worry about main or much upkeep the 4runner is for you. Just make sure that the 90K miles service has been done. We love our 4runner and getting 20mpg isnt unreasonable. We love ours but I love my 80 as well. Wife likes the 4runner, it is definitely comfortable to drive the 4runner it drives more like a car, while the 80 is more like a truck. I attribute this to the solid front axle.

If you get the 4runner, you will always wish you got the HDJ81, but if you get the HDJ81 you will never wish you had the 4runner. Plus if you dont know much about the mechanics of the 81, then nows the best time to learn, if someone like me can do it then im sure you could. You have MUD to help you, you cant go wrong with a HDJ81!

...now go buy the 81 and take some pics...

As your only vehicle you may want to consider the 4runner. We have the 81, and love it, but not all parts are quickly available and you should consider this. It is our second vehicle so its not a problem if it needs to sit a bit while I wait for parts to come in. Anyway good luck in your choice.
P.S. My wife loves the 81 and had no problem adapting to the rhd.
Andrew

Man! You guys are killing me. I don't think we can afford vehicle down time b/c I will be in full time studies and my girlfriend will need a vehicle to drive to work with. I don't know if we will have a garage and tools to work on it. It's very tempting though. A big part of it will come down to driving both and seeing which we're more comfortable with. I do plan on buying a diesel 80 in the far future once I'm done with school....but it seems so far away! :crybaby: As far as trail use goes. I don't plan to pour too much money into the 4runner if we get one. Mostly the biggest tires I can fit stock and maybe replace the springs and shocks if they're OEM. I want one that is friendly to drive with good gas mileage. I don't want to run into regearing the diffs, issues with lifting an IFS etc. which also equals poorer fuel efficiency. So if it is a 4runner, I would limit it to more exploring and dirt roads. Less crawling. I will miss hitting the more difficult trails though! I can relate to the "If you get the 4runner, you will always wish you got the HDJ81, but if you get the HDJ81 you will never wish you had the 4runner" quote.

Last edited:
find a runner with the rear oem elocker, slap on some 32's (265/75/16) A/T's and call it a day. there are performance products springs that can get you a small 1" lift. or put in a 1" (no bigger) body lift in an done. theres no need to go all out, unless the trails you're wanting to run call for it.

do what i did..build up a nice 3rd gen runner. then when you outgrow that (or can afford it)...youre ready to graduate to an 80 series...

toyotas are toyotas...dont forget that part ;)

that's the direction i'm leaning towards. Possibly remove the running boards and add some rocker guards.

I owned a 90 4 Runner and did everything it could with it. I was stock with 33" on 3" lift. I would beat it hard to get it over and through. 22RE sucked for fuel. It too was my DD.

I now have an HDJ81 stock with 33". It is my DD and my "fun" truck. I would not go back to a 4runner from an 80, although my comparisons is on a 2nd GEN 4Runner. Why?
  • Bigger: inside is just simply roomier for my wife, kid and dog.
  • Ability: with the lockers I stroll through trails my 4Runner wouldn't ever go - Honest.
  • Mileage: My HDJ81 had 60miles on its HD-T when I bought it - Vehicles age by use and abuse, my truck's practically new. I get same mileage as I did on my 22RE on 33". Also diesel’s cheaper.
  • Maintenance: Diesels last longer than gassers but the repairs bills are higher. Mine's new so I can't comment on that.
  • Creature Comforts: The TLC is a more solid, more luxurious ride.
  • Protection: I'd rather be in the TLC for a crash than the 4Runner, especially RHD collisions , thus…
  • Disability: It is a safer vehicle for me and my family structurally – no air bag though. Any extra cost the TLC has over a smaller SUV is part of the premiums I pay :flipoff2:
So for me and my lifestyle the TLC wins hands down. :cheers:

If you choose a 4Runner, before you put any money in suspension etc, my 2cents for off road capability is a locker in the rear diff. Find one with a stock Rear locker, if not lockrite type? Those open diffs will kill you on those greasy west coast trails climbs - Harrison\Squamish. What's the point of having suspension travel if your diff's going to open and spin a wheel.:bang:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom