HDJ81 Engine Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The last few times I drove my '90 HDJ81 around, the warning light has been coming on (the one that looks like this - (!) ) It comes on once I start moving, and goes off every time I stop again. I can't figure out if it's from the engine revving that sets it off, or the movement of the truck. I stuck in neutral a few times and coasted, but it didn't go off until I coasted to a stop.

Other issues I am having that *may* be related?!

I have had the flashing "all warning lights on" that seems to be alternator related which I have not dealt with yet...but it has only happened rarely.

A/C has stopped working.

Fuel filter is probably due to be changed soon.

Any ideas would be much appreciated...I don't live anywhere close to a shop that is knowledgeable about these rigs.

Your electrical gremlins could be the alternator or a bad ground. You can pull the alternator and have it bench tested for free at Canadian Tire. If there are problems with the alternator, you can have it rebuilt locally or have one of the BC Cruiser shops send you a new or used one. G&S sells used and rebuilt. New ones can be had from Radd Cruisers and EBI. You can also easily inspect and clean each ground harness connection. Use a bit of dielectric grease on each to prevent future problems, especially now that BC highways seem to like to use that damn liquid salt in the winter.

the ( ! ) from the e-brake you said . ?

With the other symthoms I thought it is alt related .. but if it's alone could be a vaccum problem too ..

Thanks - you're right...that is the e-brake light! HA! For some reason I thought it was an engine warning light. Sounds like the alternator needs some attention...maybe I'll take it from there. Thanks for the help guys!

I have seen in other vehicles the parking brake light (!) come on when the brake fluid is low. They usually wire a floater in the brake fluid reservoir to the brake light to warn you if it needs topping up.

I have seen in other vehicles the parking brake light (!) come on when the brake fluid is low. They usually wire a floater in the brake fluid reservoir to the brake light to warn you if it needs topping up.

You usually first notice that when going up or down steep hills or taking corners very fast <not likely in our rigs :D>.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom