HDJ81 (1HD-T) vs HJ61 (12HT)...trying to make an "intelligent" decision (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man I'm jealous.. and i have damn near the same hj61 just white... that paint on yours is my favorite.. the decals are cool becuase it is 80s styling.. but if you pull them off it gives you a really bad ass 2 tone look.

Awesome ride man!

Thanks for the cool remarks. Not sure about the mpg yet because I’m still on my first tank of gas! LOL

I have the same rig and love it. Enjoy!

Update (forgot to post months ago)
Absolutely LOVE my ‘61. Amazing truck, fun to drive, quick enough on county roads, head turner, and as it turns out decent mileage. I’m getting about 17mpg.

Thanks. I got the 61! Love it. Super clean. I got really lucky – this car looks like a time capsule.

View attachment 1815986
Congrats on the 61! I am in the same boat, considering the HJ61 vs HDJ81. Would you share your thoughts now that you've owned it for a while? I'm in Colorado looking for a 4 season rig to take to the mountains. I'm looking at a 100 mi one way highway trip to where I'm going and because of that leaning towards the HDJ81. I do love the lok of the 61 though!

Mc450
First off sorry for the delayed reply.
I don’t really drive all that far with my rig. It’s a wknd fun ‘cars-n-coffee’ vehicle. I mean I LOVE my truck but not sure I’d drive 100 miles each way with it - at least not every wknd/often. I don’t think you can go wrong with the 81. Newer tech, easier to find parts, and more likely than not lower mileage (just cuz of age). The 61 is just a dream to own...
My general gut is the more functional the vehicle is supposed to be..the newer and more reliable the vehicle you should seek out.
BUT..this is coming from someone on his 2nd cruiser. The first was a hj47
Cheers

I currently own both (HJ61 Sahara VX and HDJ80R gxl plus a couple of FJ40s) so can offer a bit of advise.

If you’re wanting a hardcore off-road rig you really have to go for the 80 series. The coil spring setup gives much better articulation and the better approach/departure angles makes a big difference.

For long distance touring I’d probably also recommend the 80 series, it’s a bit more refined and comfortable at higher cruising speed.

However I do find the 61 has a lot more character and is a bit more enjoyable to drive. It’s an occasion everytime I take it out. It’s the same story with the 40s... they are worse in every technical aspect but because you have to “drive” them I feel a lot more connected.

Not sure about in the US but here in Australia the 61s are rarer and seem to be increasing in value. A while back they were in the $5-10k mark, now seeing a lot in the $10-15k and some above $20k. The 80s still seem to be dropping and can now be found for $10-15k whereas a few years back any decent 1HDT was $15k+

So as an investment the 61 is probably a better choice.

Either way, I wouldn’t want either rig as a daily driver. Luckily here in Vic we have club rego for cars older than 25 years so they are great cars to have on club plates and for weekend use. Also means they can be setup more for off-roading rather than being good on road.

Cheers

A nice HDJ81 with a 1HD-FT, triple locked is a lovely truck.

61's are also a great choice if you like the older original feel!

ToyotaDyna😎

-------

Looking for a Diesel, LHD Cruiser in 🇺🇸🇨🇦🇪🇺? Check out my Page!

Canarian Land Cruiser Exports • DIESEL • LHD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom