HDJ81, 1HD-T power drain/dead battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The main charge power from the alternator goes to the right hand battery if I'm remembering things correctly.

You should do a few things: 1) the batteries need to be the same size, make, vintage etc. You cannot successfully, in the long term, live with mixed battery types. 2) if you have the Japanese batteries in there still, do yourself a favour and replace them immediately. 3) when replacing the Japanese batteries, see 1) above. 4) check your fusible links and the integrity of your battery connections, starter connections, and the changeover solenoid connections.

You then need to determine if you have a parasitic draw - best done after the batteries have been replaced. If you have a low amps probe, it may give you the simplest solution for finding what the draw is.

Changing to a 12V starter is not especially difficult, and I did one just a few days ago. There is a lot more to the 24V/12V switchover than just the one solenoid. There is also a control box inside the vehicle that coordinates the changeover with other systems in the vehicle to prevent 24V from getting to the rest of the system. I have not heard of a problem (yet) with this control unit, but it is possible. I doubt the control box is the source of any draw.

A common source of trouble in the longer term could the alternator regulator or diodes. If you're getting voltage over about 14.5V then I would look at the regulator or alternator/battery connections. If you're getting a parasitic draw, or poor charging, I would look at the diodes. If you have aftermarket wiring in the vehicle - eg: trailer wiring or a stereo wiring - we find about 90% of our problems right there. A shop with a good alternator tester can tell you if the diodes are going or are gone.

While you're in there, you should consider changing your starter contacts and the solenoid plunger. It's a common source of click, click, click, crank... followed by a slow decline in to nothingness from the starter motor. These parts are readily available and not too hard to change yourself.

~John

The Zerostart units work through convection, but mount up high on the firewall..... Not ideal. The lower rad hose heaters work better in extreme cold because of this, so I've heard.

Installing an Espar D5 as soon as I get the aux battery in the back.

Note: I do not recommend lower rad hose heaters in this engine family due to the coolant flow configuration. We have had clients with very bad experiences with these types of coolant heaters.

~John

Well, crap. We ended up getting a zerostart heater off a friend in town, but we haven't put it in yet. We can't take too long though, the snow's gonna fly any day now. So if a block heater is the best way to go, anybody got a prt # that fits a 1HD-T? I've heard a ton of problems about finding the right one, and can't seem to find any part #'s other than for the 3FE. It also seems like the best way to go is the 24V setup, as we just found out that the wife's work has nowhere to plug vehicles in.

So the plan now is to 1) buy a matched pair of batteries to replace the mismatched pair that are in there. 2) pull the stereo until we figure things out 3) find a darned block heater

Again, thanks huge for all your help, guys. You are going a long way towards keeping me a LC fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom