Has anyone used a magnetic oil pan heater... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you can also get the ones that epoxy/glue on the oil pan. I prefer the pan heaters as heat rises. when you start the engine warm oil is now flowing versus cold oil trying to be pumped with a block heater. just my .02

I have used the magnet heater, works fine for me. I have also used them with the block heater. I like the idea of warmer, easier to pump oil getting to wear surfaces quicker. Use them both if you can.

I used a pan heater for awhile. It fell off into the snow and shorted out. Tripped the breaker and I ended up with a melted mess. I threw the POS in the bottom of my rollaway. Still there I think. Want it??? :D

When I worked on big trucks I had access to the coolant heaters we put on them. They fit on the heater hose and heat the coolant. They just use convection to circulate it. You put on of those suckers on a small vehicle and it will get it to warm and toasty in no time. I loved having a clean windsheild in the morning no matter how cold it was from the heat coming off my heater core. The heater blows warm before you even start the car.

I've got one of those from a guy who was throwin out. My buddies laughed at me for even wanting it. I put it in the lower rad hose and it circulates nicely.

I get up, put on coffee, and turn on the switch. An hour later it's nice and warm. Even with the many -20 nights we had last winter. :D

Do you guys know where to obtain a block heater (frost plug heater) for a 72 FJ40. I've got one in my 77 FJ40 and it works great. Local parts store got me the one for my 77 2F motor, but said they can't get one for the 72 with the F motor, said it was different and they weren't available

Can I get one on line if available for the F motor? Or is the parts guy full of it?

Thanks, Matt

[quote author=buckroseau link=board=1;threadid=6537;start=msg53452#msg53452 date=1066777776]
Do you guys know where to obtain a block heater (frost plug heater) for a 72 FJ40. I've got one in my 77 FJ40 and it works great. Local parts store got me the one for my 77 2F motor, but said they can't get one for the 72 with the F motor, said it was different and they weren't available

Can I get one on line if available for the F motor? Or is the parts guy full of it?

Thanks, Matt
[/quote]

I would say that he is full of it. Just go back in there and tell him you want the block heater for the 77, and put it in your 72.

Good Luck!

Are the frost plugs the same size in the 2f and f motor?

Matt

Gumby, Dinkleberry, any idea where to buy the coolant heaters? I am interested in installing one when I put the engine back in my beast.

Mike

I read this thread with interest, and when I got to Autozone to get some parts I saw these. $17 or so. I am seriously considering one, if nothing else just to help the motor warm up easier when its 20 degrees in the morning here in Reno. A cheap, nearly free investment really. I plan on getting one for my car, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom