Has anyone Upsized their FJ tires without adding a lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmmm...

Nobody??

I just called the dealership that I bought my FJ from and he arranged a deal with the local Goodyear shop to take the tires from my FJ (when it arrives next week) and swap them for Goodyear Wrangler MTR's that are 285/70/17. He is charging me (in Canadian) $176 / tire to get it done. The lowest price in the city that I could outright buy the MTR's in that size was $385.00 CAD. I thought the deal sounded too good to pass up on so I took it. He says he is sure they will fit as they are only 1" taller and only 20 mm wider than stock but I would sleep ALOT better if one of you had already done that and had it work (without a lift).

Anyone??
:shotts:

Thanks,
Shawn

The tires I put on are only 1/2 in taller than stock and I only have about 1/2 inch of clearance with my wheels turned, and slight rubbing if turning and going into like, a driveway or something. They are also a lot wider than stock, which has something to do with it also though. It looks like the ones with 3" lifts are only getting a 1" bigger tire, (the 285's). There is a spot right behind the front tire that somewhat limits tire size. Soooo, I'm not sure. Just telling you my observations. Let us all know.

Kathie

Thanks. I will definitely update this thread when I get the beast next Friday and have a chance to do some wheelin' on the weekend. :)

Fingers crossed!

Shawn

Shawn, you might check with the admin here on renaming your account to your new name.

Easier and better than creating a new one.
Also your old one can be combined with the new one so your post count stays the same.

I am curious too on the tires.
I stopped by Bob Bridge Toyota this morning and they had a silver one in and it looked so good.

It sat up high, and it almost looks like 33s would slap in there.
The stock 32" tires look so whimpy (tread wise) compared to the rest of the rig.

Corey said:
Shawn, you might check with the admin here on renaming your account to your new name.

Easier and better than creating a new one.
Also your old one can be combined with the new one so your post count stays the same.

Thanks... that's what I tried but nobody responded to the msg I sent so I thought this was the only option. :eek:

285/70/17 MTR'S don't fit with out a lift and cutting out a portion of
the body mount that is behind the front tires. I have a set that I took off my '01 tacoma before it was traded in for my FJC. At full turn the lugs would get ripped off and with out the lift if you did any
wheeling the tires would rub the plastic fender flares with any artuiculation.

Don

TisilverFJ said:
285/70/17 MTR'S .... At full turn the lugs would get ripped off and with out the lift if you did any
wheeling the tires would rub the plastic fender flares with any artuiculation.
How close are the stock tires?? If the 1/2 increase in Radius + the 20mm total width makes that much difference i would guess that the stock setup must be almost touching. No ??

Anyone else tried bigger yet?

Thanks,
Shawn

I just got back from Moab EJS sunday night. With my stock FJ we did STEEL BENDER trail and had no problem with tire rub only strached the skidplates and dented exhaust tip. In the vender area
WARN had an FJ with the Revtek lift kit and Mickey Thompson MTZ's
33/12.50R17 and a proto type WARN front bumper on it. The two body mounts under the front fenders were cut out. As a side note
the 33 as a spare didn't rub the rear bumper at all. Sorry the picture isn't any better.

Don

Last edited:
I'm going to try and go to 305-70-r16's if I can get the 16 inch wheels to fit. I would love to have a couple of closeup pics of were they cut the body mount.

Could someone post a couple of pics of their FJ body mound just so I have an idea of what it's going to entail???

BigBlue,

I didn't take pic's of that FJ's body mount's cut. I just ordered an OME lift kit today. Should have it in about a week and I will post
some pic's after I cut the body mount.

Don

I tried GY MT/Rs 285/75R16 on my stock FJC, and on road you could probably get away with it if you don't turn more than 70%. off road forget about your fenders.

You need a lift to upsize the tires.

I'm getting 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs put on Saturday. The lift won't go on for a few weeks, so I'll see if it has any issues and post.

GojuFJ said:
I'm getting 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs put on Saturday. The lift won't go on for a few weeks, so I'll see if it has any issues and post.
I have them on my new FJC but I don't pick it up until tomorrow.

Here's my pile 'o tires during pre-delivery prep'ing.

:cool:

FJCpics017.jpg

Here is pics of the various wheel wells if anyone is interested in looking for obstructions.

PRear
FJCpics012.jpg

PFront
FJCpics013.jpg

DFront
FJCpics014.jpg

DRear
FJCpics015.jpg

Rear suspension shot
FJCpics009.jpg

I'll be givin' it a try tomorrow at 4pm if the delivery time is on schedule. :grinpimp:

Is the 285 a 33'? and also a 285 70 17 fits the stock 17?

EAST TX FJ said:
Is the 285 a 33'? and also a 285 70 17 fits the stock 17?
285/70/17 is 33" an I have them mounted on the FJC rims. I think they look sweet. Actually, here is a picture of the back of the truck showing the spare with one mounted on it.

FJCpics008.jpg

dude that is sick. im gonna half to sell that spare tire cover now so it can show off my full size spare. those tires look awesome. how much was it for all 5 and where did you get them?

oh i forgot to ask does the full size spare look like it is gonna rub anywhere?

EAST TX FJ said:
oh i forgot to ask does the full size spare look like it is gonna rub anywhere?

a member on Fjcruiserforums said that the window clears the 33" tires. if that's what you were asking

yeah that and the rear bumper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom