Has anyone installed a brake controller themselves? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought an ultralite travel trailer and my cruiser has just the 4pin connector. How do I go about installing a 7pin/brake controller? Do I need to hardwire or can I intercept a harness somewhere. It's a 96 with a tow package.

I did it from scratch, especially since I wanted power to the trailer and that could be a bunch of amps so needs a fuse and heavy wire.

Did you check to see if TOYota just has a different plug in harness? Mike

You will need to run heavier gauge wire to the controller and then to the trailer (with a fuse) plus a wire for "charging" the trailer. You will also need to tap into the brake light to activate the controller. I found it easier to tap into the brake light at the actual lights instead of at the pedal. The rest of the lights can plug into your existing trailer lights if they are in good shape.

Good answers to your questions above. Yota doesn't have a plug and play connector like lots of pick 'um up trucks have for a 7 pin.

FYI, I think it's easiest and safest to tap your lights in the DS rear quarter panel. Everything is there and dry, plus you can run your wires out next to the drain line to keep everything buttoned up.

Going directly to the rear panel would most likely be best. I however just spliced into the existing flat 4 connector and ran a a dedicated wire to the battery and mounted a 15A auto breaker to the battery tray. With my aftermarket bumper I had to use hose clamps to mount the 7pin receptacle, but all in all I'm very happy with it.

IMHO an awesome controller for the money:

Tekonsha Prodigy Trailer Camper Brake Control - $89.99

I love the auto leveling feature.

So you guys are tapping the brake lights in the back and then running back up to the dash to your controller??? Has anyone tapped into the pedal? What color is the wire?

So you guys are tapping the brake lights in the back and then running back up to the dash to your controller??? Has anyone tapped into the pedal? What color is the wire?

of course I used the pedal switch wire cuz my controller is right there...
don't recall color, sorry, but the wire should be plenty obvious (and color in the FSM)

I'm reluctant to say that I don't have a FSM in fear that the moderators might kick me off of the site. It turns out that it is green with white stripe though. There is no room up there to work with. It's going to be a pain. If anyone has good ideas on how to conveniently tap into that wire I would love to hear before I do it the hard way. I've spent the last week stretching in the hopes that I might be able to hangout under the dash around the brake pedal....

I had a difficult time tapping into the wire at the pedal so I chose to run one back from the rear brake light. It really was not much more work since I was already running heavier gauge wire along the same route for "controller to brakes" and "12volt accessory to trailer" from battery. All the cable runs are right alongside the factory wires tucked into the door sill under the trim piece. It is pretty simple. There are some photos of my trailer connector and of the 12volt outlets in my rotw in my sig line.

I'm reluctant to say that I don't have a FSM in fear that the moderators might kick me off of the site. It turns out that it is green with white stripe though. There is no room up there to work with. It's going to be a pain. If anyone has good ideas on how to conveniently tap into that wire I would love to hear before I do it the hard way. I've spent the last week stretching in the hopes that I might be able to hangout under the dash around the brake pedal....

Just use a line wire T-tap. They're the only way to do jobs like this.

Wire Terminals, Automotive Wire, Battery Terminals & Electrical Supplies

They just clamp onto the wire the you put a standard spade connector on the wire coming form the controller. The way you can easily unplug / replug it in when needed. you have to be a contortionist to pull it off but its very doable. Just need a pair of needle nose pliers.

I installed a brake controller on my 80 and I tapped into the green/white wire at the brake switch. The easy way to do it, a tleast I thought it was, is to unplug the switch at the harness and then pull down the whole harness after releasing it from the ties that hold it in place. It will basically be right in front of you and then you can easily tap into the wire. Then just reroute the wire and harness and plug in. All this while laying on my back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom