Ham Radio equipment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great job Jeff and Karen! Deciding on a radio is the hard part. Lot's of cool toys:D

...Pretty cool that most of the club is going to be HAM licensed now, that should change things a bit on trail runs-- especially the X-mas tree outings.

I about fell out of my chair after reading that! Thought I would never see the day ;)

Went to my first of two Monument HAM radio classes today, I almost called and canceled because I've been studying the books and figure I could pass the test without the class....But I am very glad I went.

The class is amazingly informative, they have lots of equipment, and the instructors really bring everything I've been reading about together. I know much more about repeaters and how to use them, frequencies for Colorado and how to use them, (the Colorado Connection is awesome!) that sort of thing. These radios are truly amazing, I'm eating crow here, but I might just throw my CB's away when I get my HAM radio (shut-up Leon and Rui). :flipoff2:

To be honest, I was disinterested in getting a HAM radio because of the test and studying, then the more I talked to people, I lost even more interest because of how much there is to this whole thing...all the radio programming, expensive radios, learning frequencies, figuring out where repeaters are.... that sort of thing. You read test questions and books, learn the calculations for the test -- all this stuff is intimidating and BORING --- THEN, you show up for the class and learn how to do all this stuff, and it's not hard at all. You need to know about the websites, the support, Elmers, and most importantly, the repeater directory -- which I think is as important to have as the radio itself. Now that I have the knowledge, I can't wait to get a radio! I can see this whole thing getting out of control pretty quickly for me.

Anyway, If you're on the fence about getting a license, GO TAKE THE CLASS! They have another one coming up in October, I guarantee it will throw you over the edge on HAM radios....if not, you can always get up and leave, after eating the free cookies :)

... I might just throw my CB's away when I get my HAM radio (shut-up Leon and Rui). :flipoff2:
:lol::lol:

I am really happy it is working out so well for you Luke. :)
Kick back with a cold one and radio shop, that's the hard part. :beer:

Pretty soon he will be doing mountain top contesting and some low orbit satellite work...we created a moster!!!:flipoff2:

But honestly, I have been in amateur radio since I was about 16 years of age, I got interested in it, because I lived on an island (a very small one at that) and every where you looked there was nothing but ocean as far as the eye can see. I was fascinated how my voice got to Europe, the Americas and as far as 28 megahertz would take me without any lines or assistance from anything but a radio and an antenna. (this was all before INTERNET came around). Amateur radio operators now a days enjoy the hobby the same way Mr. Morse did back in the early 1900's but with a twist...lot's of ham's are the key communications element in natural disaster relief and man made tragedies like 911. There was an earth quake on the island I lived on that was 7.7 on the scale, lights, water and comm. went down, but Ham radio operators came to the rescue on the comm part, many loved ones got notified their families were OK through Ham radio relays and phone patches. So if you feel it is only a self serving hobby, it really is not, many hams have donated countless hours relaying messages and helping folks get the word out after, floods, fires, hurricanes, quakes, even military campaigns where comm has not been established messages from service members to their families get relayed through MARS (Military Affiliated Radio System).

Before I got here I thought 4x4 clubs were for red necks with mud boggers (some are) but there are other clubs and the mountains were calling me...so I figured I'd just get something to get me on the trails...now I find myself rebuilding my FJ40 and having great fun with my club friends on the trails.

Bottom line is, don't knock it until you try it and if you have a little interest in something, the learning factor becomes a lot less steeper. I'm happy for ya Luke...

There is a saying in Amateur Radio....when a new ham gets excited about the hobby...he just got bit by the bug!

Last edited:
I studied on my own and passed the test but I think I missed the practical hands on side of the class room experience

Passed my HAM technician test without missing a single question today, then took the general and failed pretty bad. :D Chuck, you must be some kind of test taking zen master to have passed both. Anyway, time for me to radio shop, then I'll be checking out the MARC and maybe hitting a meeting or two. As if I need another hobby...

Passed my HAM technician test without missing a single question today, then took the general and failed pretty bad. :D Chuck, you must be some kind of test taking zen master to have passed both. Anyway, time for me to radio shop, then I'll be checking out the MARC and maybe hitting a meeting or two. As if I need another hobby...

Congrats Luke, it will be nice to have most of the folks in the club be hams, makes life much simpler. Ham radio is only as much of a hobby as you want to make it...now once we have a good amount of folks with Ham tickets...Field days should be really interesting...since we can mix 4x4 with Ham radio...in extreme places...:D

Congrats Luke, that's awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom