Events/Trails Ham Jam 2020 (in lieu of December club meeting) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello Fellow HAM's .. I just purchased a lightly used Kenwood TS-480SAT with built in antenna tuner that I plan to put in my 80 Series L/C .. I chose this Radio because it can easily be placed under the passenger drivers seat ..

I am interested in a 40m-6m screwdriver (resonant) antenna but not a Whopper Tarheel / Scorpion / Piranha / Et. Al. .. This will be for parked / stationary use .. Any recommendations ? ..

1608424366529.png

My 1995 Turbo Diesel Landcruiser 80 is at Galveston waiting for pickup .. It started its journey from Kobe Japan over a month ago .. I've got a lot of upgrades to install on the L/C 80 and one of them being a quick mount custom front bumper mount screwdriver antenna .. I'm looking for a tri-band handheld 6m, 2m, & 70cm X-ceiver .. No luck as yet but I am still looking ..

Hello Fellow HAM's .. I just purchased a lightly used Kenwood TS-480SAT with built in antenna tuner that I plan to put in my 80 Series L/C .. I chose this Radio because it can easily be placed under the passenger drivers seat ..

I am interested in a 40m-6m screwdriver (resonant) antenna but not a Whopper Tarheel / Scorpion / Piranha / Et. Al. .. This will be for parked / stationary use .. Any recommendations ? ..

View attachment 2529393

My 1995 Turbo Diesel Landcruiser 80 is at Galveston waiting for pickup .. It started its journey from Kobe Japan over a month ago .. I've got a lot of upgrades to install on the L/C 80 and one of them being a quick mount custom front bumper mount screwdriver antenna .. I'm looking for a tri-band handheld 6m, 2m, & 70cm X-ceiver .. No luck as yet but I am still looking ..
I have a VX7R HT which is now discontinued, if you can find a used one that would meet you desired coverage. Just wondering why you are interested in 50Mhz?

The D layer is present during the day and absorbs lower HF frequencies .. So lower frequencies typically work better late at night .. Higher frequencies have less, D layer absorption so 20m - 10m tend to perform better during the day. The critical frequency during the day is in the neighborhood of 6m which depends on space weather .. In the morning and at dusk sky wave / bounce 6m seems to work fine most of the time .. Personally, I like 6m because not a lot of people use it as it is fairly unpredictable .. I could work in some places with one hop and then it could work half way around the world because it would be dusk or morning on both sides of the world .. Interesting no ? .. Its and odd band & I am an odd person .. (grins) ..

I like the Yaesu VX-7R Its a very nice tri-band .. Line of sight 6m is better than 2 meters IMHO ..

Another thought about 6 meters .. Most of the daytime 6m will be line of sight only .. This means you audience will be much smaller .. If you listen during the day time you will most likely only hear Line of Sight communications .. This is a good band for daytime L.O.S. and limited audience .. I know you have listened during the day and their isn't much on the band ..

Another thought about 6 meters .. Most of the daytime 6m will be line of sight only .. This means you audience will be much smaller .. If you listen during the day time you will most likely only hear Line of Sight communications .. This is a good band for daytime L.O.S. and limited audience .. I know you have listened during the day and their isn't much on the band ..
The difficulty with 6M is most people don't have radios capable of rx/tx in that band. there also seem to be very few repeaters operating on that frequency. It's like being the only guy in the group with ham when everyone else is using CB, ham is clearly better but absolutely useless if your just talking to yourself. The best choice for comms is always going to be what the rest of the herd uses be it CB, FSR, GMSR, ham or bull horns.

The difficulty with 6M is most people don't have radios capable of rx/tx in that band. there also seem to be very few repeaters operating on that frequency. It's like being the only guy in the group with ham when everyone else is using CB, ham is clearly better but absolutely useless if your just talking to yourself. The best choice for comms is always going to be what the rest of the herd uses be it CB, FSR, GMSR, ham or bull horns.

Yes & No .. If you have others who you want to talk to and really don't want others to listen in then 6m is a good band for that ..

If you don't want people to listen in on 2m you can get an encrypted radio like one of these .. LINK .. If you know of someone with another radio like this you can speak to them using the encrypted mode .. The only thing is that the other person has to have a radio with the same decryption board ..

Just purchased a 6m-160m motor driven screwdriver antenna with motor driver with built in SWR bridge .. I am planning on using 6 magnets on the top of my vehicle .. They don't make a 6 magnet mount for a large antenna but I want to be SURE that the antenna won't blow over when going down the freeway .. I will use a camera to test this out .. I will need to get a nice ground strap down to my vehicle frame .. With the motor controller this antenna has run me ~$1k and change .. I will design a quick mount magnet plate for easy on, easy off .. I plan to leave the quick mount plate / magnets on the roof under the roof rack ..

1608869046196.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom