Events/Trails Ham Jam 2020 (in lieu of December club meeting) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey all-

In an effort to be prepared, and maximize our effectiveness on the 5th, I’d like to get a headcount and an idea of what you’d like to accomplish with your HAM gear that day. If I need to order any wires, connectors, or parts I need to do so quickly. Post up if you intend to come, what type of radio you’re running, and what needs to be done.
I'll try to be there to lend a hand.

I'm also planning on being there and I also have an SWR meter I can bring I don't think I need anything my ham radio and antenna seems to be working fine looking forward to learning something camaraderie and a possible run afterwards

I'll be there. My stuff is all mounted. I would just like to check everything and make sure I am optimizing my signal and learn how far I can reach👾. KJ7WRS

Hey Tony what did you mean you pull ed the start time forward is it still starting at 9 AM on the fifth

It was set to 11, I updated it to 9AM to allow for more time.

I'll be there. My stuff is all mounted. I would just like to check everything and make sure I am optimizing my signal and learn how far I can reach👾. KJ7WRS
With even a kind of close impedance match we should be able to talk from my house to yours.

With even a kind of close impedance match we should be able to talk from my house to yours.
Rusty TLC
Even over the Lakeview hill? I would love it I could manage that. That should be plenty for trail runs

Rusty TLC
Even over the Lakeview hill? I would love it I could manage that. That should be plenty for trail runs
Your house is about 7 miles from me as the crow flys. Your radio is rated with 40W IIRC, even with a hill in the way we should be able to hear each other.

Ok question for @reklund5 and @Tony_Farson Do you guys have a cable for connection of the Baofeng unit to laptop? Is that something I should worry about and bring my laptop with me?

Ok question for @reklund5 and @Tony_Farson Do you guys have a cable for connection of the Baofeng unit to laptop? Is that something I should worry about and bring my laptop with me?

I have read that these BaoFeng's are twice as good with a 1/4 length mag mount antenna on the roof than they are with the handheld antenna. I know the connector is an SMA and I think you need an SMA-F (female) to whatever connection the antenna wire uses.

I have read that these BaoFeng's are twice as good with a 1/4 length mag mount antenna on the roof than they are with the handheld antenna. I know the connector is an SMA and I think you need an SMA-F (female) to whatever connection the antenna wire uses.
IIRC they use the opposite gender that Yeasu, Kenwood etc use. So you would need a SMA male to SMA female adaptor to use most premade cables. I think the improvement would be more than doubled, antenna output is measured in dBi which is not linear it is logarithmic.

I've got one, and a laptop. I'll try to get the CHIRP software on it updated and confirm functionality this weekend. I even had it working on my iMac at one point, but it's been a minute.
Yes, they work MUCH better with an external antenna of any sort. The one I posted on the first page is a cheap and easy starting point. I have several different ones and am happy to show how they setup on the 5th.
Feel free to bring your laptop tho...@Tony_Farson and I got my shop WiFi runnin nice and fast these days!

Up by the big ugly green house that blocks you view. Right :(

Way to get your food poisoned there Mark!
200.gif

Alright got my little Baofeng UV-5R 8w model (was like $2 more than the normal 5w) but didn't grab an external antenna or anything. That is on the list just want to get this up and running first. See you guys on Sat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom