half tube buggy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
sup guys,

i will have an extra frame (bent up bad in the rear) in a couple of weeks after i start rebuilding my 40.

i was thinking about cutting the back half off and goin tubular from there.

i'll be the first to say that my cruiser is far from hardcore, so sorry about this post. i'm just trying to get started, and i figure i have a great opportunity with a cashed frame and an extra 90% of a drivetrain.

any opinions/suggestions on doing this? i'm also thinking about putting a 1/4 elliptical & 4link on the rear, and an SOA on the front.

thanks y'all,
jonathan
jmalphr@clemson.edu

sounds perfect to me...IMO, a great idea. Ditch the sheet metal past the seating area, recess the 1/4 elliptical springs into the frame, tube the rear, switch to a fuel cell. Outta save quite a bit of weight.

Actualy, very much what I'm considering with mine... ;) Outta have room for 38's in no time!

thanks woody :D,

what do you think i should do drivetrain-wise? i have an f engine and shortly a 3spd tranny (after i get it out of my other 40). i figured on using those jsut b/c i have them (no extra $$$ :D) will i be able to turn some hefty meats ( :D) with the f? i doubted it and have tossed around the idea of a 350, but just not sure about it.

also, i have the 2 cruiser axles, would you suggest changing any of that?

thanks man, i appreciate all your help with stuff like this and think that it's awesome that you do it. oh, and expect a check for the ih8mud stickers when i get the cruisers back off the road.

jonathan
jmalphr@clemson.edu

also, any opinions on automatic trannies for crawlers? i've heard some guys sayin that is the way things are heading.

jonathan

I'm doing the same with the rear of my BJ40 cruiser. i think it's half done... I will post some pictures when i get some time. do you have any pics or sketches i can see in order to improve my design?? I never thought going 1/4 elliptical. What i'm doing is a Coil spring conv. with the suspension from an old Range Rover, 4 wheel disc brake and a 3B diesel motor...

no sketches yet, the other cruiser just got wrecked about 3 weeks ago. :-[

i'm gonna start workin up drawings and junk for it in the next couple days.

i'm not finalized on the 1/4 elliptical and stuff, so you would run your setup by me? i'd really appreciate some more ideas.

what are you goin for on the front axle? same coil setup or something different?

diesel isn't as much an option for me (and i'm pretty much cool with gas), b/c i live down in south carolina, and parts like that just aren't available.

jonathan

[quote author=72cruiser link=board=12;threadid=4672;start=msg35288#msg35288 date=1061933176]what do you think i should do drivetrain-wise? i have an f engine and shortly a 3spd tranny (after i get it out of my other 40). i figured on using those jsut b/c i have them (no extra $$$ :D) will i be able to turn some hefty meats ( :D) with the f? i doubted it and have tossed around the idea of a 350, but just not sure about it.

also, i have the 2 cruiser axles, would you suggest changing any of that?
[/quote]

[quote author=72cruiser link=board=12;threadid=4672;start=msg35429#msg35429 date=1061953705]also, any opinions on automatic trannies for crawlers? i've heard some guys sayin that is the way things are heading.
[/quote]

What size tires are you planning on running? I was never happy with the stock 3 speed running only 35s with 4.10 gears. The gearing was just not low enough and I always had to slip the clutch on big obsticals, and that was with a 350 V8 powering it. Could be worse with less HP.

If looking into a manual the SM420/465 is a really good choise and readily available, and cheap. That being said I agree that serious rock crawling and climbing is heading the direction of automatics. They are just easier to drive up the nasty stuff. I am placing a 700r4 with full manual reverse valve body in my new rig for the point and shoot solution.

anywhere from 37s to 40s. haven't made a decision yet (for the first time, i haven't picked something that i don't have near the money for :D).

i really haven't finalized the tranny either. i have been mainly concentrating on gettin my dd back on the road (still a long way away unfortunately). i do think that i'll probably go manual though, just b/c it'll be easier than trying to do an auto, and i'm not into the ultracrazy crawling. yet.

hasta,
jonathan

If you use an AA Rockbox you'll have enough gears to handle anything. But you'd better order two so you'll have one for the DD too.

oh dap man,

a rock box?!? i could buy a couple more 40s instead. haha. i'd love to get something like that, but i mean, really, it's just too much for me to spend right now.

jonathan

[quote author=cruiserrg link=board=12;threadid=4672;start=msg36494#msg36494 date=1062218770]
I am placing a 700r4 with full manual reverse valve body in my new rig for the point and shoot solution.
[/quote]

how much does this cost and where did you have it done??my junk has the 700r and i think i may need that ::)

[quote author=mrtlc4x4 link=board=12;threadid=4672;start=msg37622#msg37622 date=1062629428]
how much does this cost and where did you have it done??my junk has the 700r and i think i may need that ::)
[/quote]

I picked up the reverse VB from TCI. Its the new truck master 700R4 full maunal reverse pattern with engine braking and manual TCC lockup in all gears. Part #376015.
I plan to install it myself. The VB cost a litte over $300.

I also sprung for an Art Carr gated shifter, so I can grind out the Neurtal gate and slam from 1st to reverse. Needed if I might endo in a steep climb :eek:

[quote author=RockinWagin link=board=12;threadid=4672;start=msg43755#msg43755 date=1064251323]
So how do you attach the back tubes to the front frames? Anyone have any pictures of that?
[/quote]

Here is how I would do it if splicing into a frame.
framesplice2.gif

72cruiser, I cut and tubed the rear of my 73 FJ40. I tied in the 4 bar to the frame and the coilovers to the tube frame. I came off the top of my cage down to the back of the tubed section with my rear kickers. When we cut the frame we tapered it and use heavy wall 2x4 rect. tube to tie the frame rails together. It made a good mounting spot for the rear tubed section. It realy cleans things up back there.

hey cruiser73,

awesome. progress on both of the cruisers (dd & buggy) has slowed to a halt.

school is takin a lot of time, and i'm livin on campus this semester so i can't keep the cruisers out in the yard like i have in the past, so they're at a friend's house. i don't have a car to drive, so that pretty much sucks. i can only get over there for substantial amounts of time on the weekends.

could you send some pics of your cruiser? it'll still be a while for me (especially since the dd still isn't driving) but i'd really like to take a look at it.

thanks,
jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom