H55f poping out of 5th gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Scott,

Yes i did alot of diagnosis to come to a solution. What i found was with the rear trasfer case of so you have full view of 5th gear get in the car and select 5th, in my case you could tell the 5th sleeve was not fully engaging 5th gear dog teeth probably only 60%.

I tried everything from reseting layshaft endfloat with thicker c clips to replacing all hubs sleeves synchros and 5th fork in 5th and heavier detent spring which did not solve the issue.

What i did was take the shift fork out put it in the hydraulic press and press small amounts (puting back in gearbox) until the sleeve engaged the 5th hub all the way if you go to far on the press it will bind going into 5th so just press back the other way alittle at a time

This has 100% solved my issue, i honestly do not understand why they don't fully engage. I checked over everthing and all clearences and could not get it to engage 100% without bending the shift fork.

You could say the shiftfork caused the issue over years of wear and tear but a new shift fork had the same issue until i bent it to use the full hub teeth.

Hi Scott,

Yes i did alot of diagnosis to come to a solution. What i found was with the rear trasfer case of so you have full view of 5th gear get in the car and select 5th, in my case you could tell the 5th sleeve was not fully engaging 5th gear dog teeth probably only 60%.

I tried everything from reseting layshaft endfloat with thicker c clips to replacing all hubs sleeves synchros and 5th fork in 5th and heavier detent spring which did not solve the issue.

What i did was take the shift fork out put it in the hydraulic press and press small amounts (puting back in gearbox) until the sleeve engaged the 5th hub all the way if you go to far on the press it will bind going into 5th so just press back the other way alittle at a time

This has 100% solved my issue, i honestly do not understand why they don't fully engage. I checked over everthing and all clearences and could not get it to engage 100% without bending the shift fork.

You could say the shiftfork caused the issue over years of wear and tear but a new shift fork had the same issue until i bent it to use the full hub teeth.
Thanks for the reply and the write-up, it's much appreciated. Did you use heat or just pressure from the press? I'll be looking into this same fix for mine, I never felt like mine engaged 5th fully either, or even shifted into 5th very well, even though everything was new including the input shaft, bearings, synchro's etc... and everything else was within tolerance and looked good. I was stumped.

Would you suggest this kit or at least replacing the hub and the selector ring while I'm back in it? They looked good to me when I put it together, but I'd rather not get back into it again.

QUALITY JAP GEARBOX 5TH GEAR SHIFTER SET FOR LANDCRUISER HJ75 MARCH 1987 -1990 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272485195930?ul_noapp=true&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=705-53470-19255-0&campid=5336682098&toolid=10001&customid=3174X601276X4da99fc1a6944c644373ba987f803358

Yes those are the parts you need. Worth while replacing while in there.

I didnt use any heat just pressed it slowly it dosnt need much. Its a forged shift fork so it wont crack like a cast one.

Yes those are the parts you need. Worth while replacing while in there.

I didnt use any heat just pressed it slowly it dosnt need much. Its a forged shift fork so it wont crack like a cast one.
Thanks again, I’ll be ordering the parts from eBay as it sounds like the parts from Aus. are an upgrade to the original parts for my early transmission, hopefully that gives me even more hope in keeping this from happening.

Thanks
Scott

Well, finally got around to installing the new parts. I decided not to bend the shift fork, hopefully this wasn't a mistake. The old shift selector set was so wore I'm thinking this was the problem. I'm now engaging almost fully onto the gear and it feels very crisp and smooth dropping into 5th now, I guess we'll see how it goes on it's maiden voyage. Thanks again for the help!

Scott

So far so good, hopefully this solution will be long term. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom