H55 with unicorn top cover in a bj41 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after searching for an h55 with the correct top cover forever, I found someone in Australia who sourced a reproduction. (The same shop is currently making their own reproduction top covers)
I've had it in my truck for about 8 months and all seems good...
Im not going to sugarcoat it, it was an expensive endeavor but totally worth it imo...
He has another complete unit with 4x top cover for a B engine ready to go.
I don't have his permission to post here but Pm me and I'll pass along his contact info if anyone is interested...
He won't sell the top covers separate afaik

IMG_20220711_172628_463.jpg

IMG20220704134627.jpg

IMG20220704134653.jpg

View attachment 3255948

What’s so special about the top cover?

What’s so special about the top cover?
Short answer: unobtainium.
Long answer
The H55f's that are available are for the 60 series...the top is "reversed" so the shift tower sits 4 or so inches back. If you put one in a 40 you have to modify your trans cover, bend the shift tower, etc. I don't know how many h55's were produced for the 4x series but it's very few...

Short answer: unobtainium.
Long answer
The H55f's that are available are for the 60 series...the top is "reversed" so the shift tower sits 4 or so inches back. If you put one in a 40 you have to modify your trans cover, bend the shift tower, etc. I don't know how many h55's were produced for the 4x series but it's very few...

I see, a cruiser guy told my today that they can be worth over 1000, just for the top!

There were easily more than one thousand h55 4x series top plates made by toyota. I had 7 I bought via Greg R who bought them from NOS mine stock (he kept 2).

The stamped sheet metal transmission cover for h55 for late model 40 series is also different as are the transfer case levers. They can be made to fit the h42 sheet metal and I used a R141 transfer arm.

but in reality, a common 60/70 top plate can easily be fitted to early to late 40 series and I do not see the fascination with paying a $1000 or more for the novelty. You should focus that money on the steering column lock which fits 1973 and later 40 series to secure the damn truck.

There were easily more than one thousand h55 4x series top plates made by toyota. I had 7 I bought via Greg R who bought them from NOS mine stock (he kept 2).

The stamped sheet metal transmission cover for h55 for late model 40 series is also different as are the transfer case levers. They can be made to fit the h42 sheet metal and I used a R141 transfer arm.

but in reality, a common 60/70 top plate can easily be fitted to early to late 40 series and I do not see the fascination with paying a $1000 or more for the novelty. You should focus that money on the steering column lock which fits 1973 and later 40 series to secure the damn truck.
1000 out of 100's of thousands of 4x series produced...
Unfortunately the market dictates what these sell for, there are none for sale.
I had a two fold problem, I needed a b series shaft for an h55, and I wasn't willing to cut up my sheet metal, nor cut up my floor mat to fit a 60 version.
I hunted for well over a year. I found this shop in Australia and reached out to him. He Initially didn't want to ship to the US, but we stayed in contact.
He did an excellent job.
I was reluctant to post anything about this but it's been in my truck for several months and seems like a very good If not excellent reproduction. Honestly, if it was not for shipping, it would have been in the ballpark of one sourced from the US, but again, no input shafts available and wrong top.

I've run the gambit of rigs (8 total) from rust buckets to shoddy V8 conversions. At this phase I'm sticking with all Toyota and closer to stock.
As far as the steering wheel lock, mine came with one, good point though

Last edited:
Only the 83 and 84 Canadian North American BJ42's came with the H55 5-speed. They recieved the forward top plate to allow for the correct floor alighnment. This places the shifter approx. 4" forward. The standard top plate for the H55 installed on BJ60's places approx. 4" to the rear. That placement in a 40's series requires cutting of the floor board,etc. Also, becomes a issue when a center console(Tuffy for example) is used. Some have to heat and bend the shifter shaft,etc. If one is lucky enough to source the ubiquitous forward top plate they are very nice. I've been considering for years on manufacturing these, yet haven't dove in to deep.

I assume you mean in North America? As the H55F was also fitted to various FJ40 and BJ40s here in Australia (83-84 as well).
Awhh, thank you as I stand corrected. BJ's were only imported(In N. America) into Canada. The U.S. only received FJ's. So, the 83-84 FJ40 would have also had them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom