H4 and H1 headlight conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i know that we all hear like to tinker and mod everything we can. But, to me it just seems like these headlight conversions are a lot of work for little reward. They look cool, especially those projector one's, but why not just put a good set of lights on the front bumper and be done?

i know that we all hear like to tinker and mod everything we can. But, to me it just seems like these headlight conversions are a lot of work for little reward. They look cool, especially those projector one's, but why not just put a good set of lights on the front bumper and be done?

Form was the main concern but enough function to make it make sense. I do it to be funny and it always comes out looking pretty sharp. Making non believers believers I guess. It also keeps my mind occupied so that is the main reason I make these mods. In the end this made the truck look 13 years newer.

5000K HID in both. They are two different kits and I did not want any of the tuner blue...The 50watt H4 low beams are a touch blue but not annoying. I'll have to see if I get used to it.
DSCF7088.jpg
DSCF7089.jpg

Mike,

Do you have the H4 to be "lowbeam only" or do they switch over to high beams. If so, how do they perform when on high, compared to halogens (in terms of light coverage, not necessarily brightness).

BTW, looking (as always) good!

Mike,

Do you have the H4 to be "lowbeam only" or do they switch over to high beams. If so, how do they perform when on high, compared to halogens (in terms of light coverage, not necessarily brightness).

BTW, looking (as always) good!

I wired the H4 to lowbeam only because I was afraid it would be too much current for the harness in the beginning. When I went HID, it would have cost the same as three sets of bulbs to pull off so I went with just the low beams again. I'll get some better pics of before and after soon. The coverage appears to be better but still has a cutoff on top of the pattern in low. High is everywhere so I'll get some shots against a wall for comparison. I also read your other thread and I swear these are glass.

Mike,

After reading others' posts on the web I believe the DEPO ones are (and always have been) glass. :doh:

Thanks for the feedback, btw.
I'm also curious to see how much brightness, in comparison with the stock/halogen set-up, you get right after turning the brights on. And also maybe after 20 sec. or so as well.

ANYWAY, pics would be great (and much appreciated), but you have already done enough. Please don't make it a high priority or anything.

Thanks again and we're all excited to see what you have in store for your next mod. ;)

I need to replace my headlights, the black headlight bucket was broken during a collision.

Is the glass lens removable on the DEPO lights? I would get those if i could place my Lexus LX450 lenses on them....

I need to replace my headlights, the black headlight bucket was broken during a collision.

Is the glass lens removable on the DEPO lights? I would get those if i could place my Lexus LX450 lenses on them....

It's a well-documented mod on the web (sorta) but you can supposedly pre heat your oven at a certain temp. and turn it off, throw your headlight in there and let it sit there for 10-15 (or whatever) minutes to loosen the adhesive.

I've never done it on the 80 (or on anything) but that is what I've read on the Internet. You know evrything you read on the web is correct, right? :hillbilly:

I seem to recall seeing some metal sort of clips on the edges of the headlight glass as well. Maybe as a reinforcement to keep it in its place?

Good luck!

These are glued together as well. You can see in the first pic that I have some dust behind the glass from clearancing the bulb hole a little so I may need to take them apart. I would have done it first but I have a wheelin' trip planned for tomorrow. I mounted the ballasts in the fender to keep everything clean. The battery box is too full to mount them in there.
DSCF7108.jpg
DSCF7101.jpg

so you have hid's in the high and low beam? Any cutoff pictures

Can anyone find these headlights?

so you can hook up the high beams on the H4 along with the H1 for brights?

My depo headlights should be coming in tomorrow and plan to have a photo comparison.

I want to do this mod..but I am confussed. The DEPO replacement lens does not allow for the 9005/9006 bulbs? right? so I must purchase the H1 H4 bulbs and the slee wiring kit?

second: I won the bid on Ebay 12/25/08 for a pair of head lights (Depo) $155 and no shipping cost, Then they phoned me and said that they were out of stock and would need to refund my money.

What I think happened was that someone (distributor) purchased their entire supply and will be selling them in nationwide stores. That's kind of how he explained it...anyway. I have found the side marker (clear) and turn signal (clear) on Ebay for $35 and the rear lights (clear) for $117 per pair.

Front projector type can be found on Ebay for $189-$299 per pair, but I don't care for the way they look. I did a little research and found that the Depo lights are being manufactured in Taiwan. However I Haven't been able to find the contact person yet.

Can anyone find these headlights?

I think I got mine from the same seller you were getting yours from. I bought mine on the 24th and they have shipped. Guess I just got lucky.

Mike

Thank you for the info..I would be interested to know Where do you live? if we did order them how would that work?

I looked at the link you provided and am interested in the following:

212-1173PXRDEA2

212-1173PXRD-E

212-1173PXLD-E

212-1173FXRDEA5

212-1649PXASVC

Would need to know the price for each piece or pairs and shipping to Salt Lake City, Utah, USA 84116

Thank you,

Mark

I wired the H4 to lowbeam only because I was afraid it would be too much current for the harness in the beginning. When I went HID, it would have cost the same as three sets of bulbs to pull off so I went with just the low beams again. I'll get some better pics of before and after soon. The coverage appears to be better but still has a cutoff on top of the pattern in low. High is everywhere so I'll get some shots against a wall for comparison. I also read your other thread and I swear these are glass.

Our VX's top of the line trim came with the E H4 Low / High and the H1 High headlamps and both H4 high and H1 are OEM wired together so I guess that at least our wiring harness is rated for the load.

I replaced my H1's with 100 W bulbs many years ago and didn't have any problems yet.

But I seen many threads specially in Australia were they upgraded the wiring harness.

Some day, when I end my FJ-40 restauration proyect, I will at least drive my H1 bulbs with their own harness and relays and let the OEM wiring harness power up only the H4 bulb, that should relieve some load to the OEM related parts and give a little more ump to the H1 high beams.

I will not upgrade to HID, have seen to many burned ballasts/bulbs sets, we are plagued with asian run of the mill kits and people are blinding each other when "upgrading" OEM halogen designed lamps to HID with this cheap kits with the expected strey rays, and of course our police don't care .

Any how I still believe the OEM E type combo lamps are the best and waaaay better than the quads (the quads are standard OEM on our lower trim 80's), so don't salivate too much on the quads like the aussies got, you are not missing anything besides their "cool" look.:D

Last edited:
perfect timing.... I tried to order 4 sets of these from 4 different vendors last week.. all of them say they are out of stock with no ETA.... including the woman on eBay -- she actually called me and told me she had to cancel since they were out of stock as well...

I am stuck not able to finish the latest HID retro without the Depo lights.....

If someone is willing to sell or trade a set to me I will make you a great deal...

Either double what you paid (~$400) OR a trade for a fully HID retroed set of projector headlights including (valeo projectors and digital ballasts and bulbs)...... (~$800 value)

I will keep searching in the mean time as well as trying to contact depo directly....

part number is:
212-1173PXLD-E

^ still want to see some pics of the retrofitted lights

you have mail lndcruz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom