h2o in tranny

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like some water got in the tranny, what's the best way to get the contaminated oil out?
Will drain and fill do it? Or will the bad gunk stay behind?
thanks

Drain it and then fill it with Diesel fuel... Diesel fuel is hydroscopic (sp?) and will absorb water. Let it sit for a couple days, drain the fuel, and then refill it with gear oil. I'm assuming you have a manuel.

I probably wouldn't do it on an auto as I'm not familiar with Auto trannys.

HTH

Seth

thanks

thanks Kevin and Seth.
Yep its a Stick- no ato here.
We'll give the diesel soak a shot.

Toyberger-I'm not a minitruck guy, but I've had differentials full of water a couple of times and the principle is the same.

The water will be at the lowest point, so the very first thing I would do is drain the tranny. Then fill with cheap 80w-90. Drive 10 minutes and do a hot drain. That will have emusified the tiny amount of remaining water for you to drain out. Then refill with the gear oil of your choice and drive normally. If you are paranoid, do a couple of drain/fill cycles.

I would also check the t-case and diffs, since if the water got in the tranny, it probably got in the t-case and differentials as well.

I don't think diesel is hydroscopic enough to do anything positive, and since it has minimal lubricating properties, you can't drive with it in there without risking damage to the expensive gears. Gear oil, on the otherhand will clean it right out and will keep the gears lubed with the stuff they are designed to run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom