H 55 Tranny

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
have A 4/85 Production Fj60 And Would Like To Install 5 Speed. Some Say I Need To Modify Drive Line Others Say No, Bolt In And Go. Thanks For Any Help.

jason

Toyota made a change just around your build date. They added a spacer in between the 4 speed tranny and transfer case. Outside of NA, they shipped the 60 with a 5 speed (which is longer than the 4 speed). If you have a spacer between your tranny and transfer, then yes, it's a bolt-in. If no spacer, then you need to change driveshaft lengths, and relocate the tranny crossmember.

I think the change-over date was later than 4/85...which would mean you have no spacer, thus no bolt-in. Could be wrong though....

I have a 5/85 and I had the spacer installed and now have the H55F. You can look under to truck to see if you have a spacer (about 6" to 8" wide) installed between the transmission and transfer case. Or you can check your front drive shaft. The earlier vehicles have a "double cardon" drive shaft. There is a single u-joint at one end but the other end has a double u-joint to allow for a steeper drive shaft angle. On the later vehicles, the front drive shaft has single u-joints at each end. The front drive shaft looks like the rear, only shorter.

If you have the earlier vehicle, then you will need to change front and rear drive shafts as well as the transmission cross member when/if you go to the H55F.

I had my first H55 installed in my 1983 FJ60 by a driveline shop south of Harrisburg, PA along the river. Retubing drivelines is a $100-$200 job.
The guy that works there is a man mountain, like 6'10" and 300+ pounds.

use search function, but for fitting the transmission in a pre 4/85 60 requires a tiny bit of grinding on bellhousing, shortening the rear driveline and lengthening the front, a later model t-case lever, and adding a cool 5 speed knob.
(you must have a useable t-case)

you do not have to switch the transmission crossmember.

I too am interested in someday doing the H55 tranny mod. My 60 is an 85 model as well... no telling what month, though. I looked at the inside of the driver's side door for info leading to the month and year built, saw a sticker that had been worn off and faded. Any other place where that info may be stamped or indicated?

gnavarroo said:
Any other place where that info may be stamped or indicated?
Should be a metal plate with production info rivited to the B-pillar inside the DS door jam. Either way, a non-spacered tranny should not be a reason to avaid a H55F swap.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like a have a nice summertime project...Has anyone ever purchased a H55F from Cruiserparts.net. they seem to have a decent price compared to other places.

Jason

Call CDan and get a price from him. I expect they all run about $1850 or so. Be sure to get the install kit, shift lever and little rubber 5 speed knob...

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom