GX470 CD Changer - Glove box storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TAB

Threads
Hi all,

I am considering removing the CD Changer from the glove box and converting that space to a storage cubby. Has anyone else done this?

Just remove the guts of the CD changer and use the shell as the cubby?

Just remove the guts of the CD changer and use the shell as the cubby?

Yes. If you remove the screws from the outer shell the top half of the player can be angled up and off to reveal all the guts if I recall correctly.

When I disassembled mine I was doing something totally different and ended up breaking the sliding door off by accident so that was a bummer.

The remaining shell would probably best be lined by felt or something similar.

Otherwise you could remove the CD player and somehow make yourself a new cubby space in that spot. At one point I removed the CD player and mounted a GMRS radio directly to the top of the glove box itself.

I removed mine and built a simple box out of 22-ga galvanized sheet metal and bolted it to the CD changer mounts. I trimmed the metal with a pair of tinsnips and bent it using a $40 Harbor Freight metal break, in addition to riveting it together. It was not a difficult project and gave me much more storage than just gutting the 6-disc changer. Also I was able to sell the 6-disc changer on eBay and got $75 out of it, so it was a zero-cost mod and now I have a metal break.
20211121_131231.jpg

I removed mine and built a simple box out of 22-ga galvanized sheet metal and bolted it to the CD changer mounts. I trimmed the metal with a pair of tinsnips and bent it using a $40 Harbor Freight metal break, in addition to riveting it together. It was not a difficult project and gave me much more storage than just gutting the 6-disc changer. Also I was able to sell the 6-disc changer on eBay and got $75 out of it, so it was a zero-cost mod and now I have a metal break.
View attachment 2844702
Very slick, I like it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom