GX470 as a daily driver, should I expect lots of day to dayissues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ya for sure, and what im saying is that out of the 15 cars I looked up last night, 3-4 had no records at all, and then out of the 10+ that had over 100k miles, 75% of them had no service records past 70k miles at Lexus. I would say its pretty common that once the car is totally off warranty people are more and more likely to stop going to Lexus.

Obviously paying for carfax for each car would be ludicrous

Check here where I bought mine. They ship worldwide.

Their inventory turns over pretty quickly

you use lexusdrivers to get a feel for the vehicle and how it was taken care of. Most of the history will drop off after 70k. From there you can check the condition of the vehicle and you usually can tell if it has been taken care of or not. It took me a few months to find my 2006 with 85k miles. As others have stated, it needs nothing but mpg is 14-15 lol.

I got lucky and my history was up to almost the 169k I bought it with.

Sorry to say that but its only my opinion: I woyld never leave my car at lexus or any other car stealer. Never. Nada. Had to be retarded to do it. All you can get from dealer is disappointment since first day when thwy rip you off no matter new or used car dealer.
Lets face it : you are looking in best option for 10years old car so even if it has history of timing belt kit done etc years back you have to do it again. If engine or trana was serviced or replaced then yes it might help a little to have vision but it still doesnt give you confidence. Confidence is taking car to knowledgeable mechanic and go thru whole car patiently. Even with best reputation its old car so anything can pop up. I dont know your budget but leave 30% of that for first necessary service. Timing, plugs oils filters brakes tires shocks, air susp delete etc.
Many of us are car guys so you will never see anything in carfax or lexus history but can get good car look for seller who knows what he is selling and know what he is talking about....

Me if i would look for another gx i would look for private seller i would ask if timing chain was done if answer will be correct then we can start talking ;) thats my 2cents.

Putting american crap in same row with toyota lexus is crime 😁

What is a car that is “respectable to others”?

Eventually whatever car I get wont be my DD (2-3 years max) but for now I want whatever I get to be my DD but I dont drive a lot so im not concerned.
I want a car that is capable of a lot but at the same time is comfortable and great to drive every single day. And unfortunately Im picky when it comes to cars.

My first thought was a Wrangler and I am still entertaining it just think the used prices are too out there for what you get. I feel I can build out a really badass GX that looks better, drives better day to day, drives better to surf spots, drives better to hiking spots within 3 hours, is more unique and will last longer without $$ than a Wrangler and still have money to spare.

The 3 cars im currently considering are Jeep Wrangler used at around 30k max, Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 (not a very big fan of looks, but need to test drive) and then a GX470 or GX460.

I want a car that is great to drive everyday, very capable, and respectable to others. I have a little bit of an image Id like to keep up to people in my industry when I leave valet and things like that from meetings. I think a lot of the other options that aren't what I just mentioned are either A) not that respectable or B) too big for me like a truck.

gx has both timing belt and timing chain?

No. GX470 has a timing belt only. No chain. And it needs to be replaced every 90k miles or so.
Even if the truck doesn’t have 90-100 k miles on it, the belt is still 15 years old. Rubber degrades with heat and time...an original belt with low miles should still be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom