GX460 conservative build....help please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just purchased the 2011 pictured here. Base with Convenience Package, all maintenance done at Lexus dealer, very clean: $21K. Thank you for all the information on here, it was invaluable in knowing what I wanted and what to look for.

I've read so much on this forum but it's still a lot to process, so I've got some basic questions I'm hoping to get help with. I'm looking to do a conservative/stealth build as this is my DD and I'm looking to increase off-road capability with minimal negative impact on road manners. I don't want to turn it into a rock crawler, but I do go camping in the desert and want to extend my off-road capability over the 2WD 4runner this replaced. Thanks in advance for your input.

(1) Dobinsons basic 2" lift kit has been recommended to me, but they offer only a two year warranty on springs, and their shocks seem to be made in China now (I try to avoid China-made products when possible) and I read a post on an Australian forum that made me suspect that the Dobinsons shocks may not be as durable off-road as I would like (just one post, may or may not be true, but the poster listed many 4WD vehicles he's had and how many different suspensions he'd run over the years, so his words carried weight for me).

That said, I'd appreciate any recommendations for a similar setup (low maintenance, not rebuildable), or re-selling me on the Dobinsons, or recommend a combination of different manufacturers' components that would achieve the same goal (1.5-2" lift, moderate off-road overlanding capability, good road manners, skid plates but no steel bumpers). I'm still considering Dobinsons, but for the reasons stated I'd like to know if some other spring/shock combo should be considered (For instance, Fox has a good rep, but which model and whose springs to pair with).

(2) I'm thinking of going from the factory 265/60R18 to a 17" rim and -- as of now -- have narrowed it down to the 7" TRD rim, or 8" FN or SCS rims: Is 7" too narrow for the GX, on a 17" rim with 1.5"-2" lift does a 265/70/R17 AT tire sound like the right combination for my application?

(3) I noticed that a number of you are running a 255 width tire on your 8" FN rims ... what's the theory there? Do you lose cornering traction on the street, is your performance improved off-road, and why put a 255 on an 8" rim versus, say, the 7" TRD OE rim?

(4) What tires do you like for SoCal and why (off-road/on-road performance, looks, mileage, value, etc)? So far I'm considering these: BFG KO2, Yokohama Geolandar AT G015, Continental TerrainContact A/T, Nitto terra grapplers G2

(5) Skid Plates: I won't be doing high-speed moguls or dropping off ledges -- so I'm OK with the lightest, most cost-effective solution for what I will probably encounter -- so I'm leaving the front skid plate for now but looking for aluminum plates for the differential and gas tank (I have the OE trailer hitch). Any recommendations?

(6) Ceramic Tint - what's the easy answer for which percentage to go with on each window, and which installer (Orange County)?

(7) Anyone know what the weight is for the Factory 18" 5-spoke/PVD Chrome wheel? I'll weigh them when I upgrade but I'd love to know now.

Again, thanks in advance, I really appreciate any support given.

Last edited:
Just purchased the 2011 pictured here. Base with Convenience Package, all maintenance done at Lexus dealer, very clean: $21K. Thank you for all the information on here, it was invaluable in knowing what I wanted and what to look for.

I've read so much on this forum but it's still a lot to process, so I've got some basic questions I'm hoping to get help with. I'm looking to do a conservative/stealth build as this is my DD and I'm looking to increase off-road capability with minimal negative impact on road manners. I don't want to turn it into a rock crawler, but I do go camping in the desert and want to extend my off-road capability over the 2WD 4runner this replaced. Thanks in advance for your input.

(1) Dobinsons basic 2" lift kit has been recommended to me, but they offer only a two year warranty on springs, and their shocks seem to be made in China now (I try to avoid China-made products when possible) and I read a post on an Australian forum that made me suspect that the Dobinsons shocks may not be as durable off-road as I would like (just one post, may or may not be true, but the poster listed many 4WD vehicles he's had and how many different suspensions he'd run over the years, so his words carried weight for me).

That said, I'd appreciate any recommendations for a similar setup (low maintenance, not rebuildable), or re-selling me on the Dobinsons, or recommend a combination of different manufacturers' components that would achieve the same goal (1.5-2" lift, moderate off-road overlanding capability, good road manners, skid plates but no steel bumpers). I'm still considering Dobinsons, but for the reasons stated I'd like to know if some other spring/shock combo should be considered (For instance, Fox has a good rep, but which model and whose springs to pair with).

(2) I'm thinking of going from the factory 265/60R18 to a 17" rim and -- as of now -- have narrowed it down to the 7" TRD rim, or 8" FN or SCS rims: Is 7" too narrow for the GX, on a 17" rim with 1.5"-2" lift does a 265/70/R17 AT tire sound like the right combination for my application?

(3) I noticed that a number of you are running a 255 width tire on your 8" FN rims ... what's the theory there? Do you lose cornering traction on the street, is your performance improved off-road, and why put a 255 on an 8" rim versus, say, the 7" TRD OE rim?

(4) What tires do you like for SoCal and why (off-road/on-road performance, looks, mileage, value, etc)? So far I'm considering these: BFG KO2, Yokohama Geolandar AT G015, Continental TerrainContact A/T, Nitto terra grapplers G2

(5) Skid Plates: I won't be doing high-speed moguls or dropping off ledges -- so I'm OK with the lightest, most cost-effective solution for what I will probably encounter -- so I'm leaving the front skid plate for now but looking for aluminum plates for the differential and gas tank (I have the OE trailer hitch). Any recommendations?

(6) Ceramic Tint - what's the easy answer for which percentage to go with on each window, and which installer (Orange County)?

(7) Anyone know what the weight is for the Factory 18" 5-spoke/PVD Chrome wheel? I'll weigh them when I upgrade but I'd love to know now.

View attachment 1902552
Congrats on your purchase and best of luck with your build! If you aren't on GXOR on facebook, make sure to check it out. It is a great resource, and there is a good wiki page for the group as well. My $.02 below.

1) Dobinsons will arguably give you the best combination of ride quality, durability and cost you will find for a budget build for the 460. But more importantly, Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad (largest Dobinsons dealer in the U.S.) is the most knowledgeable suspension person out there for GX models and will take all of the stress and worry out of your purchase.

2) If you are sticking with a 265 width, a 7" rim should be fine. 265/70/17 is a pretty common size for this application and close to stock size. You could go bigger but that sounds consistent with what you want to accomplish. People have different opinions on the function of narrower width or wider tires, but if you aren't doing any serious offroading it really doesn't matter. If you are doing at least some offroad driving I would suggest a C load rating to give you some extra protection without the additional unsprung weight of E rated tires.

3) I personally wouldn't put a 255 tire on an 8" rim, especially if I am airing down for offroad use, but I am overly cautious and I am sure there are plenty of people who have done it without problem.

4) I'm not in SoCal, so I can't comment on that, but I can say that there seem to be a significant number of people who complain about the K02s being out of round. Many people love and swear by them, but I saw enough complaints to steer clear of that model.

5) Finding GX460 skids isn't easy. If you want aluminum the best you can get is BudBuilt, but I am not positive Bud has released his 460 solution. You can check out ASFIR, but I don't think anyone has installed the Prado 150 skids on a 460 yet to make sure they match up (possible differences due to coverage of V6 or diesel drivetrains overseas vs. Lexus V8). My solution as you can see on my build page was a mix of 4th and 5th Gen 4Runner skids from RCI. I think RCI now has a 460-specific skid set but I'm not certain. You may have to call or email them to confirm; I know they have been working on it. RCI has aluminum options and is similar in quality to BudBuilt.

6) Check local and state laws for transmission regs. But ceramic is the way to go over typical tints. We put a ceramic tint in our Land Cruiser, and it is a significant thermal improvement over the similarly dark normal tint in my GX. We have 25% all around on both, including over the factory tinted glass. Glad we made the extra investment for ceramic.

7) I have no idea, sorry.

Again, good luck and have fun with your build!

Hey Nicemarmot, considering you're in So. Cal. and I'm in San Clemente, here is the link to what I've built: R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo
I don't mind a little trail pin-stripping, but I absolutely do not want buckled panels from rock crawling. That said, this is built as an overlander/expo vehicle, not rock crawling. Don't get me wrong, it has the chops to do it if I get stuck and need to get out! If this is where you'd like to take your rig, I can help lead you down the path of enlightenment!
Mine is a 2013 GX 460 Premium. I wanted the 2013 because it was the last year of the above bumper style grill and there were steel bumpers available for it than can mount a winch. (Just an FYI, as of later this year, 2019, Metal Tech will have bumpers for 2014 and up.)
I finished the build late last year and so far have driven to South Lake Tahoe, did some wheel'n up there, trips to our local mountains (Arrowhead and Big Bear) and San Diego mountains as day trips.
NOTE: This thing drives AWESOME! If I really want to whine and complain about anything it would be that I get a "little" bit of noise from having BFG mud terrain tires instead of going with the all-terrain and I get wind noise with my rack and the sunroof open. I plan on mitigating that with a wind screen soon. Now saying that, that's taking into consideration that these GX's are supposed to be outstandingly quiet, so I'm really nit picking here. Other than that, my wife and I LOVE this!
Just for reference, my wife and I just got rid of both our Landcruisers (yes, we both had one). I point this out so you don't think I'm comparing our buffed out Lexus to some 1980's Toyota pickup or Jeep with absolutely no refinements at all.
I'm comparing our GX to other high end vehicles in ride and comfort quality.

Congrats on your purchase and best of luck with your build! If you aren't on GXOR on facebook, make sure to check it out. It is a great resource, and there is a good wiki page for the group as well. My $.02 below.

1) Dobinsons will arguably give you the best combination of ride quality, durability and cost you will find for a budget build for the 460. But more importantly, Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad (largest Dobinsons dealer in the U.S.) is the most knowledgeable suspension person out there for GX models and will take all of the stress and worry out of your purchase.

2) If you are sticking with a 265 width, a 7" rim should be fine. 265/70/17 is a pretty common size for this application and close to stock size. You could go bigger but that sounds consistent with what you want to accomplish. People have different opinions on the function of narrower width or wider tires, but if you aren't doing any serious offroading it really doesn't matter. If you are doing at least some offroad driving I would suggest a C load rating to give you some extra protection without the additional unsprung weight of E rated tires.

3) I personally wouldn't put a 255 tire on an 8" rim, especially if I am airing down for offroad use, but I am overly cautious and I am sure there are plenty of people who have done it without problem.

4) I'm not in SoCal, so I can't comment on that, but I can say that there seem to be a significant number of people who complain about the K02s being out of round. Many people love and swear by them, but I saw enough complaints to steer clear of that model.

5) Finding GX460 skids isn't easy. If you want aluminum the best you can get is BudBuilt, but I am not positive Bud has released his 460 solution. You can check out ASFIR, but I don't think anyone has installed the Prado 150 skids on a 460 yet to make sure they match up (possible differences due to coverage of V6 or diesel drivetrains overseas vs. Lexus V8). My solution as you can see on my build page was a mix of 4th and 5th Gen 4Runner skids from RCI. I think RCI now has a 460-specific skid set but I'm not certain. You may have to call or email them to confirm; I know they have been working on it. RCI has aluminum options and is similar in quality to BudBuilt.

6) Check local and state laws for transmission regs. But ceramic is the way to go over typical tints. We put a ceramic tint in our Land Cruiser, and it is a significant thermal improvement over the similarly dark normal tint in my GX. We have 25% all around on both, including over the factory tinted glass. Glad we made the extra investment for ceramic.

7) I have no idea, sorry.

Again, good luck and have fun with your build!

Thank you....very helpful!

Hey Nicemarmot, considering you're in So. Cal. and I'm in San Clemente, here is the link to what I've built: R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo
I don't mind a little trail pin-stripping, but I absolutely do not want buckled panels from rock crawling. That said, this is built as an overlander/expo vehicle, not rock crawling. Don't get me wrong, it has the chops to do it if I get stuck and need to get out! If this is where you'd like to take your rig, I can help lead you down the path of enlightenment!
Mine is a 2013 GX 460 Premium. I wanted the 2013 because it was the last year of the above bumper style grill and there were steel bumpers available for it than can mount a winch. (Just an FYI, as of later this year, 2019, Metal Tech will have bumpers for 2014 and up.)
I finished the build late last year and so far have driven to South Lake Tahoe, did some wheel'n up there, trips to our local mountains (Arrowhead and Big Bear) and San Diego mountains as day trips.
NOTE: This thing drives AWESOME! If I really want to whine and complain about anything it would be that I get a "little" bit of noise from having BFG mud terrain tires instead of going with the all-terrain and I get wind noise with my rack and the sunroof open. I plan on mitigating that with a wind screen soon. Now saying that, that's taking into consideration that these GX's are supposed to be outstandingly quiet, so I'm really nit picking here. Other than that, my wife and I LOVE this!
Just for reference, my wife and I just got rid of both our Landcruisers (yes, we both had one). I point this out so you don't think I'm comparing our buffed out Lexus to some 1980's Toyota pickup or Jeep with absolutely no refinements at all.
I'm comparing our GX to other high end vehicles in ride and comfort quality.

Thank you for the information and the offer to share your experience, very generous. Sweet build by the way! I had already read your thread at least three times before I bought mine. My plan is to start with the conservative build, go a little further offroad than I did with my 4runner, and if there are weak points for my use scenarios, start adding mods from there...that's the plan for now anyway. That said, if I can find a used OE GX rocker panel to trim to make room for sliders, I'd do that right away (not ready to cut the pristine ones on my GX yet).

If you are going to do any local trips -- that you think my buggy can handle -- I'd love to tag along. BTW: Ever been out to Collins Valley? Lot's of fun.

Thank you for the information and the offer to share your experience, very generous. Sweet build by the way! I had already read your thread at least three times before I bought mine. My plan is to start with the conservative build, go a little further offroad than I did with my 4runner, and if there are weak points for my use scenarios, start adding mods from there...that's the plan for now anyway. That said, if I can find a used OE GX rocker panel to trim to make room for sliders, I'd do that right away (not ready to cut the pristine ones on my GX yet).

If you are going to do any local trips -- that you think my buggy can handle -- I'd love to tag along. BTW: Ever been out to Collins Valley? Lot's of fun.
If you want to get your rig a little dusty, my wife and I are planning to go out with the Capo Valley 4 Wheeler's in March to do Anza Borrego. Here is the link to the club calendar: Calendar of Events
It'll be from March 15th through 17th, but my wife and I are only planning on doing the day trip on Saturday the 16th. It's my wife's birthday that day and that's what she wants to do. Gotta love her!!!!
The trail boss of this ride says it is pretty mild and that even my wife's stock 4x4 Tacoma could do it. She has the factory rear e-locker and slightly oversized tires.

View attachment 1902552

(1) Shocks and springs are almost a religious conversation. First and foremost you need to decide how much weight you will carry or your weight range. The rear has a bigger difference in terms of what you can carry but front usually is just adding bumper and winch. With what you said on shocks I would suggest King's or OME in that order, Kings are made in SoCal and impeccable quality for only a small premium while performance is at least a couple of level above most of the competitions. For springs I would stick with OME, lots of options for different lift and weight ranges, thoroughly tested and sold by the thousands.

(2) Why do you want to upgrade rims? the difference is really small for the trouble IMHO and stock wheels are of excellent quality. I would plastidip the wheels black or the color of your choice if I were you.

(3) Rim width a lot of time is required by tire companies, wider the tire wider the rim. Wider rims also give a little rounder profile for the tire but being a mild build and the tires can actually fit on a GX I say don't bother. BUT slightly narrower rims within the range supposed to hold the bead better so wider isn't always better unless you run beadlocker.

(4) I would recommend Cooper ATS or Yokohama Geolandar AT G015 or Nitto terra grapplers G2 in that order

(5) Get sliders first and foremost then maybe the skid, GX has a lot of stuff hanging pretty low so definitely need to learn how to wheel and use the sliders

(6) Ceramic Tint - HuperOptik is still the king(personal experience, tried many) and arguably the most pricey, I used STM/Song's window tint in LA though, ask for the cash discount

Last edited:
(1) Shocks and springs are almost a religious conversation. First and foremost you need to decide how much weight you will carry or your weight range. The rear has a bigger difference in terms of what you can carry but front usually is just adding bumper and winch. With what you said on shocks I would suggest King's or OME in that order, Kings are made in SoCal and impeccable quality for only a small premium while performance is at least a couple of level above most of the competitions. For springs I would stick with OME, lots of options for different lift and weight ranges, thoroughly tested and sold by the thousands.

(2) Why do you want to upgrade rims? the difference is really small for the trouble IMHO and stock wheels are of excellent quality. I would plastidip the wheels black or the color of your choice if I were you.

(3) Rim width a lot of time is required by tire companies, wider the tire wider the rim. Wider rims also give a little rounder profile for the tire but being a mild build and the tires can actually fit on a GX I say don't bother. BUT slightly narrower rims within the range supposed to hold the bead better so wider isn't always better unless you run beadlocker.

(4) I would recommend Cooper ATS or Yokohama Geolandar AT G015 or Nitto terra grapplers G2 in that order

(5) Get sliders first and foremost then maybe the skid, GX has a lot of stuff hanging pretty low so definitely need to learn how to wheel and use the sliders

(6) Ceramic Tint - HuperOptik is still the king(personal experience, tried many) and arguably the most pricey, I used STM/Song's window tint in LA though, ask for the cash discount

Thanks!

(1) Kings is 15 minutes away and Radflo is next door ... I'll check 'em out.

(2) Two reasons - First, the chrome wheel looks out of place to me on that vehicle. I've attached an image below of the same wheel (on the same color GX as mine) that has been painted. Still not loving it. Secondly, I have yet to weigh the wheel and I was unable to find a number online other than Amazon with a shipping weight of 42lbs which can't be right. That said, if each wheel is 32 lbs and I can replace it with a 22lbs FN wheel, I can either save 40lbs of rotational mass, or I can offset the added weight of the taller tires I plan to run. Either case bringing benefits in fuel consumption and/or driving performance. If I find my current wheels are not that much heavier than the replacements I'm considering, I will certainly give Plastidip more thought.

(3) Solid copy on the rest, thanks again.

Thanks!

(1) Kings is 15 minutes away and Radflo is next door ... I'll check 'em out.

(2) Two reasons - First, the chrome wheel looks out of place to me on that vehicle. I've attached an image below of the same wheel (on the same color GX as mine) that has been painted. Still not loving it. Secondly, I have yet to weigh the wheel and I was unable to find a number online other than Amazon with a shipping weight of 42lbs which can't be right. That said, if each wheel is 32 lbs and I can replace it with a 22lbs FN wheel, I can either save 40lbs of rotational mass, or I can offset the added weight of the taller tires I plan to run. Either case bringing benefits in fuel consumption and/or driving performance. If I find my current wheels are not that much heavier than the replacements I'm considering, I will certainly give Plastidip more thought.

(3) Solid copy on the rest, thanks again.

View attachment 1904792

I get you don’t like the look, however the intention of saving weight on rotational mass makes sense on paper. But these are not race cars and at 6000lbs loaded while bashing through the rocks with 12-14 PSI do you really want light weight wheels? Also these wheels should be just under 30lbs not 42lb which should be shipping weight and wheel boxes are heavy. Personally I would not change wheels unless uograding to a set of forged wheel from a reputable brand which means $2k minimum, everything else is a downgrade. Do you think small after market shops really has the resource to engineer, build and QA a product to the same level as a multibillion dollar auto maker known for reliability and quality?

Another solution is get wheels from different model of GX, 4Runner wheels should work also. Toyota 5.5x6 pattern wheels should work as the back spacing should be the same. 80 wheels are strong but different back spacing and tundra and 200 wheels have different bolt pattern.

Btw easy way to find wheel weight is to weight the combo and tire weights are easily found with google and tirerack.

Unless you have any serious problems with either King or Radflow, having them both as close as they are within your proximity (as for myself) would trump going with any other manufactures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom