Grub Box Designs. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
With the sale of our Travel Trailer :frown: we are going to be doing more "car" camping this season. We did a lot of this type camping when we were first married but I have let a lot of our gear go over the years.

One thing we are going to need is a new grub box. My old one was a simple pine box with a couple of rope handels. When I married we used apple boxes and later plastic totes.

This time around I'd like to go for something a little more sophisticated.

So I'm fishing for ideas. Pictures would be great.

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I built this for use in my trailer, or on a table. You could fab legs on a similar design.

The drawers are a seprate slide out and can be removed. Inside the top is a divided tray for small iems - stove hoses, plates, and other stuff that doen't go in the drawers.

351140.JPG

After the dash box thread, I am exlploring a box design that will fit my Benelli Shotgun and or my 1911 inside a well locked box that is weather tight and will hold the average long gun.

Taking measurements this weekend. I will let you know what I come up with.

Mike S said:
I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I built this for use in my trailer, or on a table. You could fab legs on a similar design.

The drawers are a seprate slide out and can be removed. Inside the top is a divided tray for small iems - stove hoses, plates, and other stuff that doen't go in the drawers.

<image snipped>
Exactly what I was looking for. I hadn't thought of a tray on top, good idea.

do a google search for "patrol box" or "chuck box". Most of the hits you'll get are plans of the grub boxes that boy scout troops use. Heck, there are even vendors that sell them: http://www.blueskykitchen.com/Grubby_One.html. Post back here when you figure out what you're going to do, because I've been thinking I need one too. Thanks.

REZARF said:
After the dash box thread, I am exlploring a box design that will fit my Benelli Shotgun and or my 1911 inside a well locked box that is weather tight and will hold the average long gun.

Grub not Gub :D

rusty_tlc said:
Lots of confusion around here, lately... :rolleyes:

I got this one from Blue Sky Kitchen, works pretty good, they now have other designs I might've liked better. It takes up a bit more space than I would like.
WT_setup_web.jpg
WT_Stored_web.jpg

colditz01.jpg

Most of us, at some time or another, have had the misfortune of having had maggots escape from a bait box into the car or the home. Usually, we’ve just had to put up with it, always promising the other half we’ll be more careful in future!

The Colditz bait boxes are made from rigid plastic with lids that snap very firmly shut. They also have an additional centre lid (again secure) which has a lip to prevent maggots crawling out. They’re round in shape and come in 2 sizes: 2½ pints @ £1.99 and 1½ pints @ £1.75.

This may be a few pence more than standard bait boxes, but then divorces are even more costly! In fact, I wouldn’t use any bait box for maggots other than a Colditz.

A small price to keep your Grubs and maggots where they belong and your marriage intact. :D

Colditz Bait Box

NMuzj100 said:
colditz01.jpg

Most of us, at some time or another, have had the misfortune of having had maggots escape from a bait box into the car or the home. Usually, we’ve just had to put up with it, always promising the other half we’ll be more careful in future!

The Colditz bait boxes are made from rigid plastic with lids that snap very firmly shut. They also have an additional centre lid (again secure) which has a lip to prevent maggots crawling out. They’re round in shape and come in 2 sizes: 2½ pints @ £1.99 and 1½ pints @ £1.75.

This may be a few pence more than standard bait boxes, but then divorces are even more costly! In fact, I wouldn’t use any bait box for maggots other than a Colditz.

A small price to keep your Grubs and maggots where they belong and your marriage intact. :D

Colditz Bait Box

Spit all over my screen, dammit! LOL!

grub/gub/grub/gun...

All

My friends and I made the grubby one and the work-top box. I would say that we liked the Grubby one the best, where as the work-top box was "ok". You would get more usage out of a good rubbermaid box. The Grubby one, on the other hand is great for setting up your kitchen. I really like how it has the spice racks, space for rubbermaid bins (great for washing, and in double one up), place to hang things, etc. Good all around.

Jack

cool that DRIFTA was linked, i was on the verge of being the north america builder vendor with this guy, basically a garage company. but it didnt happen as he sorta flaked out on me. i have all the dimensional plans and drawings to build them but under copyright i cannot. except the one i built for myself.

whats my point you say?? well, it was ok for all this not to happen cause i find that this type kitchen, (bluesky included) sits in my garage while the very simple patrol box style is the one i always take out. what mike S has is a classic example of a patrol box sans legs and is in my opinion by far the best and most useable kitchen on the planet. its simple, has little or no movine parts, does not require "set up". i have built several styles over the years and my personal fav is similar to mike's but does not have the drawers, instead its just a couple compartmented shelves over the dutch ovens in the bottom and the front, when hinged down is the countertop.

RHINO said:
cool that DRIFTA was linked, i was on the verge of being the north america builder vendor with this guy, basically a garage company. but it didnt happen as he sorta flaked out on me. i have all the dimensional plans and drawings to build them but under copyright i cannot. except the one i built for myself.

whats my point you say?? well, it was ok for all this not to happen cause i find that this type kitchen, (bluesky included) sits in my garage while the very simple patrol box style is the one i always take out. what mike S has is a classic example of a patrol box sans legs and is in my opinion by far the best and most useable kitchen on the planet. its simple, has little or no movine parts, does not require "set up". i have built several styles over the years and my personal fav is similar to mike's but does not have the drawers, instead its just a couple compartmented shelves over the dutch ovens in the bottom and the front, when hinged down is the countertop.
Interesting perspective. I have been looking at all the different types avaiable and was kind of thinking the same thing.
Things I have picked up from looking at other designs that I would add to Mike S' design;
-Peg board on the side for hanging stuff. I like this because you can pull the "pegs" off when the unit is packed but can hang stuff up out of the way or to dry while in camp.
-Two sided design with the stove/propane sealed away from the utensils. We had a small cylinder leak in our current picnic hamper. The oderizer got into everything and we had to throw it all out, even the salt was disgusting.
-Use plastic tubs rather than drawers, you can get dual use out of them.

rusty_tlc said:

Dang, new lingo always gets me! Sorry guys...

Rezarf <><

REZARF said:
Dang, new lingo always gets me! Sorry guys...

Rezarf <><

Lingo's mom got us yesterday!

:mad:

(bump)

REZARF said:

The box in the back of my 80 is 43" front to back, 9" tall, and 41" wide. It used to be in my 60. It was designed to hold 3 long guns, ammo, dog equipment and tools and cruiser gear. The ONLY way you can get a long gun into a box that fits behind the 2nd row seats is to set up trays that run diagonally from corner to corner. Mine has carpet padding and the guns just fit in each try, which is the full depth of the drawer. Mine fits my side X side shotguns, with automatics, depending on barrel length, you might need to get more creative, or carry them broken down.

I can post pix if interested.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom