Ground Beef (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It is a simple ingredient, and can be used in so many ways. How do you guys use it, and not just in burgers?

Well smash burgers are probably #1 around here. But since you opted us out of burgers 😁...spiced up ground meat Italian style works in cannelloni & lasagne for starters. Tacos, enchiladas (rolled or stacked here), tostadas are a hit here with ground meat...spiced up with SW/Mex seasoning. And of course burritos.

Rellenos stuffed with ground meat and cheese, instead of the more typically border town all cheese relleno, is mobetta and something we make once in a while.

Taco salad. Notice a theme here? 😁

Growing up my Mom made a pasta & ground beef casserole but I'm not big on casseroles: Then or now.

Yea, my mom made a lot of tuna noodle casseroles. I can't even take the smell of it now.

Goulash and chili

Meat loaf. Shepard's pie. Sloppy Joe's. Tacos.

i have a butcher by me that when he has lamb will mix and grind with chuck to make shepards pie. tacos are probably next on he list as its super easy to make and my wife and i could live on tacos

the same butcher will also grind dry aged brisket and make burger patties out of it as a side note

You can make green chili stew with ground beef but if you do you’ll need to make a very high quality stock to get a good mouth feel. I’ve had a good one in Deming, NM but they used pieces of chuck. The stock is what made it though. Can combine it with other ground meats or sausage to make things like Swedish Meatballs, abondigas, etc. Combine with wild game to make sausage by using 75/25 to add fat. Can pack it around other beef to add fat. Think beef Wellington with a layer of ground beef under the crust. Brown and remove from pan, saute sliced mushrooms in the pan, deglaze with a small amount of wine. Make a cream sauce and recombine with a few vegitables to make a filler for a pot pie. Could use with Spices in raviolI. It’s really pretty flexible.

I often make a chilli, or savoury beef stew.

Its a quick simple meal and can be done with whatever is in the fridge.

20210102_195445.jpg
20210102_195507.jpg

Last night I used
500g lean ground beef
Onion
Garlic
Red peppers
Mushrooms
Carrot
Celery
Red kidney beans
Crushed tomatoes
Corn cut from the cob
Green onions
S&P, oregano or Italian herbs mix
Chipotle sauce

Saute veges in pan until soft and caramelized a bit, add herbs, then and beef and brown it off, break it into small pieces as it cooks.
Chuck in a can of red kidney beans, sliced green onions, corn kernels, can of crushed tomatoes, 1 cup of water, chipotle sauce.
Simmer and stir until it's thickened up a bit.

I'll eat it with mates potato, our on a tortilla, or in a bowl with crusty bread and butter.
I cook this regularly, and it varies depending on what is in the fridge.
Any vege combo can be good, use what ever sauce you like. The aim is to make it savory with some salt, or stock to counter the sweetness of vegetables
Sometimes I'll add some red wine.
Some times I'll use curry powder for a curry flavour
Or add different beans as well as kidney beans. Or drop in a cup of rice at the end and simmer until rice is cooked

Left overs are often better a day or two later

Made some sausage rolls tonight.

These are an Aussie staple. Where you find meat pies you'll find sausage rolls side by side.

They range from fantastic, to terrible crap kept warm way too long in a servo station.

These are pretty close to the fantastic end of the scale

20210105_221110.jpg

These are
ground beef, ground pork, chopped onion, bread crumbs, egg, herbs, chopped parsley, S&P.
All mixed in a bowl, then rolled in store bought puff pastry. Brush the seam with a little egg/ milk wash, and brush the top with egg wash too.

Serve with some tomato ketchup to dip the ends in.

Tasty!

The pastry I used was a brand i'm not familiar with. It was a bit of a let down, but still pretty damn good!

These are pretty good cold for lunches too

You can make green chili stew with ground beef but if you do you’ll need to make a very high quality stock to get a good mouth feel. I’ve had a good one in Deming, NM but they used pieces of chuck. The stock is what made it though. Can combine it with other ground meats or sausage to make things like Swedish Meatballs, abondigas, etc. Combine with wild game to make sausage by using 75/25 to add fat. Can pack it around other beef to add fat. Think beef Wellington with a layer of ground beef under the crust. Brown and remove from pan, saute sliced mushrooms in the pan, deglaze with a small amount of wine. Make a cream sauce and recombine with a few vegitables to make a filler for a pot pie. Could use with Spices in raviolI. It’s really pretty flexible.

Green chile (yes, chile is the proper spelling) stew can be made with beef, but pork is the best. I think beef is a southern New Mexico thing like corn in tacos. Deming does grow some good chile though. Second to what is grown in Lemitar.

My wife and kids don't like it, but I like mac and cheese with ground beef and green chile.

I have 3 lbs of ground beef at home waiting to be seasoned, cooked and frozen for quick tacos for little one's lunches, and bibimbap for me.

@jvalex , why not just vac seal the raw burger and toss into the freezamatator.

Because I work two jobs and have to help teach my child as well as drive him 2 hours round trip for rest of school day and find time to make three meals a day - not trying to worry about if I remembered to thaw frozen raw meat! Ha. Easier for me to meal prep, cook and portion smaller for ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom