Ground Anchors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ron

Threads
At the moment i am using 3 car half shafts that are about 1mt long and have cut a point on the shaft end and cut a hole for shackle on the flange end
They work quite well n we can use them in tandem for hard recovery work in soft soil/sand
if we get out n they get stuck we can easly pull them out with the winch,[we tried timber ones but lost a lot as we cant get them out easly]
any one got better ideas/system

A buddy has the PullPal - I've used it a couple times and have been impressed. The only time we had an issue was in a deep/nasty swamp in the early winter....the unit dug in great, but the hard surface and soft ground made pulling it back out interesting....he added a "recovery cable" on it that helped greatly.

Woody,
can you teel me the details n where to get ,sounds interesting
Ron

It's similiar to the snow fluke used when mountaineering for soft snow. The more you pull on them, the more they dig down. I think most 4x4 shops could get it for you if they don't already stock it. I don't have one though as I carry a 100' extension and don't wheel where there are no trees.

http://www.pullpal.com/

almost too easy...hehehe
Option B would be to just haul Junks momma around with ya....I know the local highway dept uses her as an anchor for winching plow trucks free...:flipoff2:

[quote author=woody link=board=14;threadid=9309;start=msg81159#msg81159 date=1072644345]
A buddy has the PullPal - I've used it a couple times and have been impressed. The only time we had an issue was in a deep/nasty swamp in the early winter....the unit dug in great, but the hard surface and soft ground made pulling it back out interesting....he added a "recovery cable" on it that helped greatly.
[/quote]

i've got a 9k one had it in 3 trucks ... for 4 yrs and have yet to use it :slap: ...but its nice to know its there and its real easy to put together ... i think i might "set up" a use this weekend to try it out :D

[quote author=woody link=board=14;threadid=9309;start=msg82039#msg82039 date=1072799285]
Option B would be to just haul Junks momma around with ya....I know the local highway dept uses her as an anchor for winching plow trucks free...:flipoff2:[/quote]

Yeah, but your mpg would suck and your wife may not enjoy you coming home with crabs. :flipoff2: The pullpal could come in handy helping you climb back out though.

31Dec2003 (UTC -8)

I got the 15,000lb PullPal, and it folds neatly but is a bit cumbersome to always take with you...

My hunting partner has a pull-pal for his truck, and using that as a guide we built smaller ones for the 4-wheelers. In sandy areas, rivers etc, the pull-pal is the only way to get a good enough ancor to get a stuck 4-wheeler out.

Hi you guys ,I love your answers [like a sence of humour]
SH-T now i gotta go n try n find 300# love some where!!!
any ideas[but must be self sufficient] could carry it in the back of the truck so my hunting dogs can howl at it
Seriously,we do a lot of jungle n oil palm estate trecking
n the trees on the jungle timber tracks have mostly been culled n the small one aint no good to pull on,the oil palm tracks dont have any trees so have to use some kind of anchor !!!!!!!
Asaain girls dont get to 300 usaly around 111120 for the large size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i checked the price of the pull pal n its US 500 + freeight would be around US 1000 to us out here.
So am trying to find a suitable boat anchor we can use or convert
any ideas
Regds
Ron :cheers:

folsom50, could you post a pic of the ones you built or give a discription? The pull-pal cost to much for the few times a year I drive on the beach.I would prefer to build one myself but have never seen one to copy.

I'm not set up to post pics yet, and with out the p-p in front of me I can't even get you any measurements. I know you could build one for little of nothing in an hour, just need a welder, drill etc. On the small ones we built, we have two different size spades that can be bolted on for different situations, a small narrow spade for harder soil and a big flat spade for sand. Just go onto a site that sells them and study them for a while, and be sure to use square stock that has more than 1/16th wall thickness.

Here are two pics from pull-pal web site if it helps
1- :cheers:

If you can check out pull-pal web site its interesting,
We are now going to change our set up n use something like this instead of the Half shafts ,but they do work ok but its hard work.
we have three pcs of van half shafts n cut aa rough point on the spline end n cut a hole big enough at the flange end [where the wheel studs go through] big enough to take a shakle,on one we have welded a 10mm plate 12ins square half way down the shaft to use in soft ground/sand,it will work in verry soft sand if you use the other two in tamdem,we use two pcs of 3mtx4in tree trunk savers to tie them together in tandem [easy adjustable for length just wrap it around a few times to shorten it or open it out n hammer the shaft into the ground as n where you can,u can use one down between tree roots if the tree is not strong enough
But now having seen the pull -pal desing i thing that is the easy way to go n if you weld a lug on the back of the spade side you will be able to pull it out with the winch if it digs in to much
Pic 2-from pull -pal
Regds
Ron

we carried a pullpal with us all over central america. fortunately we didn't need it.
I *did* use it once in California to try it out and was impressed. it really dug into hard packed dirt and held... then came out easily afterwards.
The only drawback to the pullpal is that they are heavy and rattle a bit. Otherwise, great recovery tool.

A buddy of mine uses a come-along and a marine anchor. All you have to do is set the anchor and it will drive deeper in the ground as you crank on the cable.

If you're using it in soft material (sand, mud, etc.) then a simple claw anchor would work well. Here's a link to one type I have:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...0001&classNum=212&subdeptNum=11206&storeNum=5

They're made by Lewmar and come in a variety of sizes/weights. They also have a hole at the end that you can attach a rope to in order to ease it out after you're done using it, since they do tend to dig themselves in pretty well. Oh...and these are cheap. :D At these prices, you can buy two and use them in tandem.

I have purchased this anchor from ARB dealer in Kuwait but haven't got stuck since to test it..
it has three different settings for soil, sand and loose sand by changing the position of the top pin.. I think it is called the personal rescue tree.. something like that.. here are some pictures of it.. it's rated for 8000lbs if I am not mistaken..
oh.. and the carrying case is custome made locally..

anc3.JPG

anc8.JPG

couldn't one in a pinch dig a trench, slide the spare in, with a bar across, and use that?
E

@e9999

You could.. I heard that some people here actually do that successfully.. but it takes a lot of time and effort.. it's one of those last resort things..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom