Grooves on my Output shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a ranger od and a stock 4 speed and the output shaft has a groove in the splines where it mates up to the transfer. Its close to the back of the transmission and maybe a 1/16" deep. Looks like its worn from a seal. Should this be replaced or is this normal? I am rebuilding my 3 speed transfer to go with it and now would be the time to replace this. The gears inside the 4 speed all look ok. Is this shaft hard to replace?

A seal won't ride on the splines as it cannot provide a seal there so it must be caused by something else. See how the gears which ride the splines fit. If they are snug and have NO WOBBLE I would not worry about it. If they have ANY wobble then I'd consider replacement. You'll need different shift mechanisms for the 3 speed transfer to four speed tranny. The tranny cover is different and the shifter on the front extension is different. I can tell you exactly which you need if you don't already know.

What will I need for the shifters? Do I need to get shifter linkages off a 4 speed transfer? I figured they may need to be bent or modified somewhat, but I wasn't real sure.

You'll need the shifter linkages from the 4 speed as well as the transfer cover (the 3 speed and 4 speed shift dogs on the top cover are offset by 90 degrees). If you can get the shift dog and axle pin from a 4 speed cover (#64) you'll be set for that part. The front extension housing shifter needs the longer shaft (the 3 speed extension housing shifter is about 1-2" shorter than the 4 speed one). If you can get just the 1" dia. pin (#17) from the 4 speed transfer case, again you'll be set as all other parts are interchangable. Part numbers refer to SOR diagram link below.
http://www.sor.com/sor/cat074.tam?xax=5071&page.ctx=cat074.tam

Chris,

Wish I had a visual on the groove you're talking about so I could help. All I'm able to say is it didn't vibrate and it didn't leak between the TC and transmission when I was using it so the seals were good (and like CruiserGuy said there's no seal riding on the splines anyway). I do have an old output shaft from my old cruiser up at the shop and will be there this weekend. I can take a look at it and see if the groove you mention is on it.

By the way, IIRC the immediate part of the output shaft as it leaves the transmission and is going into the TC is covered by a sleeve (spacer) which the TC gear butts up to. Would the groove be where the sleeve is?

Tried to post a pic, but it was too big. RGS, I'll email you a picture of it. I got my transfer rebuild kit in and am waiting for my new input gear and tcase saver. I haven't pulled my transfer yet, so I'm not sure what part would have caused the groove. I'll know if its going to be a problem next week when I pull everything and finish the rebuild.

Chris ... You have mail.

Got a look at the output shaft I mentioned. Groove on the output shaft was machined into the shaft but I don't know what purpose it served. It may have something to do with the manufacturing process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom