Grom Vline.. yay or nay? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JcrewLC

SILVER Star
Threads
There’s a sale/group buy. Wondering if it’s worth it or waste of money?

No link but go on facebook
Go on groups and search Toyota Land Cruiser classifieds / North America
The post was created yesterday by a Donn Perez Fresard. Instructions are listed on the post. Good luck

I haven’t had mine long, but I haven’t had anything that I’d classify as a problem or an issue. To clarify, I’m responding to the comment about people having issues with all CarPlay options. I have an older Naviplus unit and am not having issues with CarPlay (wired and wireless both work great).

Last edited:
I've got mixed feelings....if you're ios wireless car play etc all seems to work well...occasionally it's a little glitchy for me flipping back to factory radio, but rarely frequent and just takes hitting the audio button to flip back.

Where I have the most issue is with Android Auto. I don't know if it's just my year, but there's not phone integration with it, and so it flips back to the factory stereo for phone calls which is bad enough since nothing works while moving (mute buttons and number buttons). Supposedly they're working on a fix, but still TBD. Wireless Android Auto is supposedly coming by end of the month.

CarPlay by comparison has good integrated phone functionality without issue.

I've got mixed feelings....if you're ios wireless car play etc all seems to work well...occasionally it's a little glitchy for me flipping back to factory radio, but rarely frequent and just takes hitting the audio button to flip back.

Where I have the most issue is with Android Auto. I don't know if it's just my year, but there's not phone integration with it, and so it flips back to the factory stereo for phone calls which is bad enough since nothing works while moving (mute buttons and number buttons). Supposedly they're working on a fix, but still TBD. Wireless Android Auto is supposedly coming by end of the month.

CarPlay by comparison has good integrated phone functionality without issue.
I’m iOS only, that may explain our different experiences.

I’m iOS only, that may explain our different experiences.
Yeah, CarPlay seems to work great (at least wireless) I've had a couple connection issues wired, but that could honestly just be cable and I haven't really spent time troubleshooting.

I've only tried it with Apple cables, and they've worked great. But, I mostly use wireless because it is too easy.

So my wife is very interested in getting one of these for our 2013, but I have fears there could be unforeseen headaches. Is anyone able to lead me towards a video that shows how the units function in coordination with the factory interface?

There is a pretty good youtube video that shows someone in a 2009-2011 using one, but he uses a Disc/Aux button to get into it and we do not have that button on the 2013.

Also, how does it work when you want to go into the climate control and back into the apple carplay?

How about utilizing the DVD player and fold down screen? Is it easy to still use this with the headphones, but parent control in the front?

Can you display media from the GROM on the fold down tv? So if I wanted to stream something, or play a saved/downloaded move?

So my wife is very interested in getting one of these for our 2013, but I have fears there could be unforeseen headaches. Is anyone able to lead me towards a video that shows how the units function in coordination with the factory interface?

There is a pretty good youtube video that shows someone in a 2009-2011 using one, but he uses a Disc/Aux button to get into it and we do not have that button on the 2013.

Also, how does it work when you want to go into the climate control and back into the apple carplay?

How about utilizing the DVD player and fold down screen? Is it easy to still use this with the headphones, but parent control in the front?

Can you display media from the GROM on the fold down tv? So if I wanted to stream something, or play a saved/downloaded move?
Not positive on differences with 2013 years, but in general pretty seamless for apple, can do wireless pairing. As far as other functions it's just like an audio source, e.g. hit climate buttons for climate then hit audio to go back to grom. Not sure about rear screen integration, but I'd doubt it.

There is a pretty good youtube video that shows someone in a 2009-2011 using one, but he uses a Disc/Aux button to get into it and we do not have that button on the 2013. The Aux tab is hidden within OEM Audio screen. Find the Aux tab.

Also, how does it work when you want to go into the climate control and back into the apple carplay? Press the Climate button will switch the screen to climate control. Press the Audio button to return to GROM/OEM Audio.

How about utilizing the DVD player and fold down screen? Is it easy to still use this with the headphones, but parent control in the front? GROM and OEM Audio/DVD is seperate device. Both device cannot function together. Either using GROM or OEM Audio function. Both function is available for you to choose. Most user craving for Apple CarPlay will choose to stay within GROM.

Can you display media from the GROM on the fold down tv? So if I wanted to stream something, or play a saved/downloaded move? Currently, GROM cannot overlay video on the folddown TV screen (possible future integration). GROM can only overlay it's video output to the front screen. First, OEM Audio can't even stream or play downloaded movie. GROM does able to run Netflix/Amazon Prime movie app. It's natively running on Andriod OS. You can install andriod apps to support streaming movie. Or play any download movie stored on SD Card.
I think there is a learning curve for all technology integration. It's all about practice.

Also, I think you're expecting too much from the GROM Vline 2.

Thank you both for your responses. I was expecting to hear the climate button and audio button response, but can you confirm that you can just hit audio and it goes back to GROM rather than hit audio and then have to select AUX from the audio screen? Its only a second of extra work, but may be enough to seem tedious.

Also, its unfortunate to hear that the GROM can not be displayed on the rear screen. If anyone has found a work around for this, I would be really interested to hear about it!

We have a 6 year old and a 2 year old, and its nice to have them watching the same movie and not having independent iPads. Mainly because the 2 year old requires too much grown up input when he uses an iPads. So this problem will sort itself out in a few years.

Thank you both for your responses. I was expecting to hear the climate button and audio button response, but can you confirm that you can just hit audio and it goes back to GROM rather than hit audio and then have to select AUX from the audio screen? Its only a second of extra work, but may be enough to seem tedious.

Also, its unfortunate to hear that the GROM can not be displayed on the rear screen. If anyone has found a work around for this, I would be really interested to hear about it!

We have a 6 year old and a 2 year old, and its nice to have them watching the same movie and not having independent iPads. Mainly because the 2 year old requires too much grown up input when he uses an iPads. So this problem will sort itself out in a few years.
If you already in GROM and press the climate button, it will bring the screen to Climate Screen. Pressing the Audio button will restored to the previous audio function (If I'm in GROM and carplay mode, it will return to the same carplay screen).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom