Grom VLine Group Buy 2nd Round (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@subspd thanks, appreciate the update. I'm contemplating pulling the trigger but would likely wait until a future group buy -- not really on the top of my list right now, though I have loved apple carplay in work rentals the few times I've used it.

Just installed the new update and still got the blue lines that I was told should be fixed two weeks ago... Also I contacted grom and they said older Android phones like mine (s8) can't charge quickly from the unit. So even if Android auto did work well for me I wouldn't use it since I cannot charge.

Anyone with an Android phone get a good charge from the vline? Also anyone with an earlier car have the blue lines??

Well I got the latest and greatest .55 firmware from Grom. In lockdown I have not been driving it much. In running to get groceries yesterday I didn't have any crash issues. But strangely the CarPlay screen did not want to switch to night time (light to dark maps) until it was basically completely dark. It used to be more sensitive than that.... I will say I am still happy to have the thing but it has not been as smooth sailing as some said it would be. The issue for these trucks is all the little year to year changes Toyota/Lexus made. I think it makes it hard to have a consistent experience with this or the Tesla screens.

Update just come out? I will have to hook up to wifi later

Reactions: Nic
I got the newest update and all it did was make my Bluetooth no longer auto connect. I now have to manually select vline on my phone everytime I start the car... And I still have the damn blue lines that grom said would be fixed within a week when I first got it... :/

Can someone post a video? Curious to get a feel just how buggy these are. Just picked up a 04 GX470 w/ nav (womp) and looking at options for CarPlay. Where do you install the unit? Under passenger?

Mine is a 09' so won't really be the same screen quality and response as an 04. I find that the touch works well and the screen look good on mine. The unit replaced the factory CD changer above the glove box. Very easy to install there and wastes no space.

Does it completely replace the OEM UI for the climate control and whatnot?

The alternative I was looking at was a Beat Sonic MVA-81 with a single DIN radio like the XAV-AX8000 or something. Kind of hacky but it would work reliably as the head unit probably.

No thats why I went with it instead of the "Tesla" screen systems that replace everything. It maintains all your factory controls and the screen still has all the factory menus. The only thing lost is a CD player. This replaces that. Check out the Grom website for more details.

AFICT:

Pros:

- Leave your OEM nav unit in place, untouched. Might be a selling point?
- Wireless CarPlay
- Android Auto
- Seems like the company is relatively busy updating the devices
- An actual company behind it (those Tesla units look like like generica coming out of china)
- Actual buttons
- Factory HVAC and radio left in place
- Keep that cassette player. hell yeah. Bandcamp cassette market here I come
- Way less work to install.
- that crappy DVD player still works!

Cons:

- s***ty whatever year screen your car came with
- Bye by CD player. Not a big deal
- Who knows how much life left your nav system has left in it

I can start a group buy round 3 thread tomorrow.

I am interested. Any way we can build a table from the past group buy on how well this is working for everyone? Including year of GX might help us to identify which years are more problematic. I read a lot of mixed reviews and it's not clear to me whether the happy people are many and aren't posting and the unhappy people are few and have taken to the interwebs. Thoughts?

I am interested. Any way we can build a table from the past group buy on how well this is working for everyone? Including year of GX might help us to identify which years are more problematic. I read a lot of mixed reviews and it's not clear to me whether the happy people are many and aren't posting and the unhappy people are few and have taken to the interwebs. Thoughts?
I like this idea. I'm interested, but also terrified that it's going to cause issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom