Grom VLine Group Buy 2nd Round (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I received my unit but have not put it in yet. When I ordered I got the extra cable to add a front camera. What front camera is everyone running?

It's a 2004. Grom said they should have a fix next week for my screen issues.

On another note does Android auto work well for anyone? Mine often loses connection and I can't get any calls to go through the speakers. Also the volume of music often gets quiet using Android auto.

Another issue I just realized with this device is that the USB connection that you must use for Android auto seems to only put out about .5 amps of current which isn't enough to charge a Samsung phone while using it for things like music streaming or navigation. So even once Android auto does work, you can't use it without draining your batter. Not sure if this is an issue with iPhones or not.

Got mine in no issue and it started ran ok I went ahead and installed the ota updates about it have barely worked since. IF i can get it to boot and display it works fine but most of the time it might or might not display vertical lines on the screen then go blank and stay that way.

Got mine in no issue and it started ran ok I went ahead and installed the ota updates about it have barely worked since. IF i can get it to boot and display it works fine but most of the time it might or might not display vertical lines on the screen then go blank and stay that way.
Reach out to Grom they have been great helping fix issues.

Just installed the new vline and firm warw updates. Didn't seem to fix any of my issues. Still have the blue lines and Android auto still disconnects often, plays music quieter than Bluetooth, won't do calls through the car speakers and doesn't charge my phone when connected (at least not enough).

I will say though that using the normal Bluetooth music app and Google maps through the system connected to my hotspot works great. I can also then just charge from my cigarette lighter. I guess I just have to lower my expectations with this and be ok with Android auto not working very well. If I could get rid of the blue lines I'd be mostly happy.

Mine loves to just stop working at the screen. CarPlay is up, music playing. But the touch screen just dies. I have tried everything and I end up always having to go in and unplug the unit completely, plug it back in and restart truck. Will work for a couple days and then do it again...

Mine glitches sometimes too. Usually you can just hit the ignition forward (won't trigger starter when running) and it will quickly reboot fixing it

Sooooo, not the best solution yet? Since I just got mine, what is the opinion of this vs. the big screen “Tesla” kind. I am also curious if any of these can do XM radio?

Mine glitches sometimes too. Usually you can just hit the ignition forward (won't trigger starter when running) and it will quickly reboot fixing it
Yeah that seems to work for some issues. But the screen freeze I get isn't affected by that.
@VikingKT Its still the best option for the new screen factory Navs. Older screens (pre 07?) the Tesla might be a better option but they have even more issues from I have seen. This system when it works (which is most of the time) is perfect to me. I just wish it was more reliable.

Yeah if you understand what this product really is it's not too bad. Maybe a bit overpriced if not getting the group buy discount. It seems like we might be in a constant state of beta testing with little issues here and there.

For those with Android phones, when plugged in to the vline through USB, does your phone charge at all or at least enough to not have the battery decrease when streaming music and nav? My phone continues to lose battery when plugged in, however when I use my girlfriends iPhone through USB, it charges nearly as fast as a wall charger...

Yeah if you understand what this product really is it's not too bad. Maybe a bit overpriced if not getting the group buy discount. It seems like we might be in a constant state of beta testing with little issues here and there.

For those with Android phones, when plugged in to the vline through USB, does your phone charge at all or at least enough to not have the battery decrease when streaming music and nav? My phone continues to lose battery when plugged in, however when I use my girlfriends iPhone through USB, it charges nearly as fast as a wall charger...
Yeah that seems to work for some issues. But the screen freeze I get isn't affected by that.
@VikingKT Its still the best option for the new screen fac

For those with Android phones, when plugged in to the vline through USB, does your phone charge at all or at least enough to not have the battery decrease when streaming music and nav? My phone continues to lose battery when plugged in, however when I use my girlfriends iPhone

I am just trying to be able to use Itunes , charge phone, maybe XM radio and not be broke.

This is surprising. I was debating between the vline and the tesla style radio for my 06. If anything, your input is making me want the tesla.

This is surprising. I was debating between the vline and the tesla style radio for my 06. If anything, your input is making me want the tesla.
Make sure you read up on the Tesla screens, they are very glitchy and many don't even work correctly out of the box. Lots of issues reported with the controls not responding like they should. That said the perfect solution is always a non-nav truck.

I am curious to see how your real world experience goes for all of you guys. And if it seems positive, I would be interested in the next group buy should there be another one.

I am curious to see how your real world experience goes for all of you guys. And if it seems positive, I would be interested in the next group buy should there be another one.

Same, I'm also curious if those with later nav '07+ with the updated screens are having better results, or if all years tend to have a hand or lag at times.

@ncrockinfj Mine is an 08 and while it looks great on screen when working has not been reliable. Grom just sent me a special firmware update to install via USB so I am going to flash it today and see what happens.

Got the firmware loaded and everything is working fine right now... Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom