Greetings from Canada's North! (Importing an 80 to Canaderp and other poor choices...) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Rigpig - I'm going to be in Edmonton (Acheson) on Tuesday with my truck. Let's get in touch. I've got a meeting with a customer to look at some mining dozers.

At least the parts fairy has started arriving! No, I'm not super thrilled about the Raybestos calipers but I'll see how they're built. Couple more deliveries from the Rock, one from Toyota Parts Direct, and a couple from Amayana en route.

IMG_2177.jpeg

@LINUS - This thing is so weird - I'm convinced that the original owner launched boats in to the ocean with this truck. Reason being, things are very localized to the (former) hitch and rear axle. The frame and body are in slightly-above-average condition for a 26 year-old truck.

This will be a skill stretch for me. I have no issues on the mechanical side. Among things, I started in the Toyota world on the parts counter in 2002. Fabrication will be a new challenge. I actually considered going the route of replacing the rear axle - there's a locker from a '93 down in Nelson, BC that is available. If I did that, I'd have to go the 5-wire route along with the bits and bobs needed to go that way (if I can run a '93 rear in a '95... I believe the fronts have different length birfs). I was thinking if I wanted lockers I'd go with air.

Brake hardware, lines and cables are shot. I've got lines and hoses on order as well as service brake parts including calipers. I have the means to build lines if I need to as well, but Toyota hard lines are dirt cheap so why not?

I’m 100% onboard it was used to launch into salt/brack-bodies.

Soak, soak, soak, - in whatever flavor oil you choose (people go nutty, I just say PB Blaster as a carch-all, you do you.)

Heat & 6pt socket set.

There’s potential here, you just need to slap that axle hard & if you plan to use it the same way, that axle needs a serious coating & you gotta extend your trailer tongue so you can launch off shallow degree launches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom