Greetings from CA! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the forum!

Picked up a 1990 HDJ81 VX Limited earlier this year. 3x locked. 190k miles.

This was a dream vehicle of mine and it puts a smile on my face every time I fire her up.

Unfortunately, she's not meant for California and I'll be looking to sell or trade soon. So it goes!

You'll also find me in the 4th gen 4Runner thread with my 2005 Limited.

Looking forward to joining the community! Cheers :)

IMG_20230327_223501_617.jpg
000537550001.jpg
PXL_20230929_135553923.jpg
PXL_20230328_002641862.jpg

welcome to the forum I would keep your dream truck and move to another state …. Easier said than done haha
Trust me, I thought about it. Almost had the wife convinced too after a road trip through Utah and Colorado last month. 😉

Why wasn't it meant for CA, fuel prices or getting it to pass emissions?

Why wasn't it meant for CA, fuel prices or getting it to pass emissions?
Impossible to register here (import/emissions stuff). Got it registered in Montana right now but decided its not worth playing that game. You live and you learn!

Diesel prices do hurt right now though. But at least she's less thirst than a petrol 80 series!

Impossible to register here (import/emissions stuff). Got it registered in Montana right now but decided its not worth playing that game. You live and you learn!

Diesel prices do hurt right now though. But at least she's less thirst than a petrol 80 series!
I was thinking of playing the Montana game myself, what's wrong with that option?

It's tax evasion. There was a crack down recently here and some folks got into it deep with the authorities. This was mostly on newer higher value cars.

If things have not changes in the last few years, you can register any vehicle in South Dakota and you are not required to be a resident.
I remember seeing a bunch of vehicles with South Dakota plates in Mexico a few years ago and out of curiosity I ask a guy getting out of his and he told me about the process. Of course I was skeptical but looked into it a found that you complete approx. 5 forms and send in for registration.

I was thinking of playing the Montana game myself, what's wrong with that option?
I'm most concerned with insurance. Right now i have commercial auto insurance for it (since the title is in the name of my Montana LLC) and while it's insured for personal use as well, I just wonder if I ever did get in an accident if things would get messy when they start asking more questions about the vehicle and the "business"....

That's on top of the fact that CA doesn't care if its legally registered in Montana. If the vehicle is in CA more than x days per year, you're technically required to register it here.

Either way its always a gamble and I've learned I'm just not that risky of a person...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom