Great Pre-Purchase Inspection Report - Will be an GX470 Owner tomorrow, but have a couple of questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I had a PPI performed on a 2007 GX470 with 83.2K original miles, OME med lift, rear airbladder delete, 285-70/17 BFG TA and what looks to be very well cared for original interior or recently replaced interior seats, etc. No findings in the PPI, in fact Lexus service confirmed quality aftermarket suspension install and alignment, new brakes, wheels and tires. Other than the TMPS disable (no TPMS sensors in the Method wheels and sensor/blinking light bypassed), and factory key remote lock, unlock functions not working (aftermarket alarm FOB for remote lock and unlock), there was nothing noted other some small paint chips from rocks, etc.

Now that I am going to be an owner of a GX470, I was hoping to confirm some information and asusmptions I've made from searching and gather information on this forum and other searches.
  • Immobilizer/OEM Key: The key that the sell brought w/ the GX470 this morning could not lock or unlock the doors but when inserted into the ignition, was able to reliable start the car. From what I've read on this and other forums, I am assuming this means that the key chip and the car ECU immobilizer are correctly paired, but the remote fuctions of the key (lock, unlock, panic button) probably need re-programing. Is that correct, or is it possible to completely bypass the key chip and ECU immobilizer system?
  • I am trying to keep my build light and trying to avoid putting spare tire carrier on the rear gate. I read on this or other Lexus/GX forums that a member fit a 255/75R17 full inflated tire (~32.1 diam) in the stock spare compartment under the car. Point is a 255/75R17 or 275/70R17 AT can fit under the car. If it had to be used, the spare would only have about .25 radius diff compared to the 4 285/70R17 tires on the car, which I think would be negligible for a spare to limp back home if required. Can anyone confirm they have fit a 255/75R17 or 275/70R17 in the spare compartment of their GX470?
Thanks in advance and looking forward to joining the community.

Congrats on the new ride.
Can’t help with Q1.
Maybe no help with Q2 either, but I CAN confirm that a 255-75/17 BFG ko2 will NOT fit in the spare location on
a GX470 that has KDSS and a factory tow hitch.
If yours isn‘t a “Sport” trim (KDSS), please disregard…
G’luck

Thanks McDuff, car doesn't have the KDSS, but it does have the tow hitch. i'll have to measure clearance.

That is probably me. I run 255/75R17 BFG KM2 in stock spare location for years. I also have KDSS and OEM small hitch.

It's a tight fit and much easier to do if you jack the frame to let the axle move forward a bit to install. Once installed it still have clearance to KDSS bar at static height. It would contact the tire at certain conditions but I did not see any marks after 2 years under the car. Probably not a good idea if the suspension are not lifted at least 2".

The remote might be out of battery too.

That is probably me. I run 255/75R17 BFG KM2 in stock spare location for years. I also have KDSS and OEM small hitch.

It's a tight fit and much easier to do if you jack the frame to let the axle move forward a bit to install. Once installed it still have clearance to KDSS bar at static height. It would contact the tire at certain conditions but I did not see any marks after 2 years under the car. Probably not a good idea if the suspension are not lifted at least 2".

The remote might be out of battery too.
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom