Great Headlight Protectors from a great vendor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Shameless Plug for IdahoDoug: (hey that rhymes)

Here in the Rocky's, we use "sand" in the winter on the roads, rather than salt. Sand is actually gravel up to 3/8" in size.:eek:
Out here, our windshields and headlights are all chipped and cracked by rocks flying back from the vehicle in front while driving on highway.

I just replaced my windshield last month, and this is the second headlight I have had to replace from flying gravel. The Cdan price is great, but still approaching $300 each :eek: so I don't want to make a habit out of it.

I'm old, and the grandpa to 10, so not easily impressed, but I'm here to tell ya, "IdahoDoug" (Mud Handle) has a great solution.
These protectors are so invisible, there's no point to include pics, or I would.
For $40, you get 2 custom cut protectors (cut for the year of your vehicle) and he threw in a pair of custom cut protectors for my offroad lights as well.:bounce: Just give him the dimensions of your offroad lights.
He also includes very helpful, well written installation instructions, which allowed me to do a pro job the first time.

My scan of the instructions is too large (1.26MB) to upload here, but if any of you are interested enough to read them before considering a purchase, let me know where to email them.

These 3M films are tough, (Doug says he routinely abuses them for testing), and they have an adhesive side you spray with water, to allow you to slide them around into place, before squeegee-ing the water out of them. Super-easy. I just did 4 of them in under an hour, and it was kinda fun.:bounce:
I am not affiliated with Doug in any way. In fact, he doesn't even know I am writing this. He lives 10 hours away in Northern Idaho which is practically a different state from where I live. I'm just excited about a custom product, made exclusively for our 80's, which is simple and effective.
If any of you have the same problem, living in snow country, that I do, you gotta try these.:cheers:

I too have them on my headlamps going on 3 years now.

BTW, I also have Doug's headgasket replacement DVD. A good visual guide for those of us brave enough to dive in there...:lol:

Can you post some pictures of the set up when you get a chance?

Resurrecting an old thread.... trying to PM IdahoDoug for the past week or so. Anyone know if he still offers these 3M protective film kits for our 80 headlights? Looking to buy. Anyone know how to reach him? Thks in advance!

It's a pity the US model has different headlamps. There's a genuine protector that's common in Australia, 08814-60010C, which sits in front of the recessed headlamps used on 80's outside the US and does a solid job.
s-l1600.png

Does anyone know if there was a similar protector ever offered in the US market by Toyota themselves?

@Nemesis1207 we do not have any head light protection. No one from Australia is open to ship to USA either as I know there are many parts we in USA do not have
You'll probably find if you search on the Aussie ebay site and contact a seller, many of them will be willing to ship overseas if you agree to cover the postage. I've done the same plenty of times from sellers in the US for various things. A lot of the time people don't offer international postage because they see it as a hassle, but if you go out of your way to contact them a lot of people will budge on that.

Of course with cars, parts can quickly get too heavy or bulky for international postage to be worth it as an individual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom