#%^$$@@ grease gun.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
OK, I guess it's probably just me being inept, but dang... that grease gun is really a pain. As soon as the darn thing is getting close to thinking it's almost empty it refuses to squirt. Yes, I know, it's the air pockets and all. But then it gets really annoying. I try to take it apart and rearrange the grease to try to empty the darn tube and usually I end up giving up after a few trials, each one having to unscrew the tube off.
I just can't get the tube empty, there is always 2 or 3 golfballs worth of grease left in there... This time I said the heck with it, I just scooped it off and stored it for later.
Then I proceeded to change the tube. First, a struggle to get the old one out cuz it's pretty much cemented in there by grease. After trying to push it off and tearing up the bottom, ended up prying the lip off and pulling it with pliers.
By then there is a fair amount of grease floating around the bench.

Then after I put the new tube in, I figured I may just put the 2 golf balls left over back in the lower end of the tube. Smart, eh? Well, no, cuz now it's too full the plunger can't get back in. When trying to, there is grease starting to squirt out any old way. At what point, when trying to screw the base back on, the plunger rod got unhooked and the spring spoinged sideways, also slathered in grease of course...

After an epic battle with the spring, rod, plunger, tube and all, I was finally victorious. Although covered in grease....

And the darn thing is already 1/2 empty after just a knuckle check.

Which means, it's gonna happen all over again before too long... Aaargh....!

#$%$%$@ thing!

Any and all advice appreciated...! :)

I hear ya. Grease guns and I have never gotten along, and I've had several. My current one is a Craftsman "Professional" series air-operated. At least it's fun to use when it works, making the cool pshhh-pshhh-pshhh-pshhh noise.

Whatever you do, don't do what I did: Last summer on a hot day I had to refill, so I unscrewed the tube, tossed the empty cartridge. Popped the plastic cap off the open end of a new cartridge, pulled the plunger back and cocked it, and slide the new cartridge into the tube. Pulled the pop top off the other end, then as I was reaching for the gun, I bumped the end of the plunger rod, which released the spring. Recall that it was a hot day, so the grease was pretty gooey. I then had the displeasure of watching a big turd of fresh expensive synthetic Amsoil grease get ejected out of the tube, hover in the air for a brief second, then fall with a sickly SPLAT in the middle of my driveway. That sucked to clean up.

Having been a heavy equipment operator since I was a kid, i have pumped more grease than any human should have to by law.

In all the years the Lincoln 1142 has been by far the most reliable hands down.

mine shows no markings at all. Probably a generic cheapo unit from Sears or Kragen or something like that. Maybe a ubiquitous Plews?
Will that Lincoln of yours empty the tube completely? I really do want one hand operation, though.

Yes, when they are working tip top they completely empty the cartridge.
They make a trigger model for you Popeye arm types.;)

I threw away several guns,they were terrible.Went and picked up two OLD AMERICAN made guns from estate sales they work much better than the new guns! Mike

I have some generic gun I picked up somewhere I can't remember, but it seems to work fine and empty a tube - when I am least prepared to deal with it. My problem is that I rarely use up the gun. I leave it in a bucket and find that it eventually leakes out completely around the plunger. How do you prevent this? I have a couple small guns that I like too, but can't find the right grease in small cartridges.

These things are a mess! What is the best way to store a grease gun?

Also, a sure-fire back up to the plunger problem is to clamp it in a vice.

mine doesn't leak at least.

But, yes, good idea. Next time I'll put a visegrip on the rod to prevent the ejection seat syndrome...

and you could do that after backing up the plunger a tad to relieve the pressure to reduce leakage?

Hmmm. I guess the right and left halves of my brain truly are not connected!

Thanks.

I then had the displeasure of watching a big turd of fresh...grease get ejected out of the tube

I did something similar... got a bit excited, threw the gun against a wall and broke it. :doh:

Had to go buy a new gun and grease... stimulating the economy one fit at a time.

I like the 1133 model with the whip. One handed, lets me hold coupler in place with the other hand when it doesn't grab well. As for the air pockets, I tamp the head against my tire tread to try and move the grease pockets. A rubber mallet does the same... Usually works ok.

As for storing, when done, I wrap a blue paper shop towel around the plunger end, then stick said end into a tall slim plastic container then hang it on a nail. No outside leaks, but eventually, the shop towels need replacing.

How's that for timing......

First of all, I never come into the "Tools" forum, but I'm in the middle of a knuckle rebuild and just got done taking apart (and throwing away) my $$#@&^% cheapo grease gun.

I came here looking for rec's on a grease gun and lo and behold this thread is right at the top...........so, just got back from running errands and came home with a Lincoln 1134 trigger style grease gun. Man, this thing is head and shoulders above the cheapos.
I got the 1134 mostly b/c is comes with the flexible and rigid fill tubes. Couldn't believe it, O'Rielly had both style Lincolns on the shelf.
Good karma.

Ok,Lets patent a grease gun that works,is not messy,and is fun to use.......yea,right! Mike

I love my Lincoln grease gun airpowered makes it so easy

lincoln 1142 + grease gun holder

yep; agree x2, have given mine the work out over the years....works flawlessly over and over; summit has a VERY nice No-Drip Grease Gun Holder Small Catch Tray....have several of these at work and they are the bomb.
have used the high volumn heavy duty Alemites in the past 10000/15000 lbs and they also are very nice; but:eek: a lot more pricey than the Lincolns. HTH

Lou

Having been a heavy equipment operator since I was a kid, i have pumped more grease than any human should have to by law.

In all the years the Lincoln 1142 has been by far the most reliable hands down.

Last edited:
and all this time i thought lincoln's were cheap , you can pick them up for a couple of bucks .

steer clear of the electric lincon's they only last about a month before the motor burns out .

Hi All:

How much $$ for the Lincoln 1134 hand grease gun at O'Reillys??

Thanks.

Alan

First of all, I never come into the "Tools" forum, but I'm in the middle of a knuckle rebuild and just got done taking apart (and throwing away) my $$#@&^% cheapo grease gun.

I came here looking for rec's on a grease gun and lo and behold this thread is right at the top...........so, just got back from running errands and came home with a Lincoln 1134 trigger style grease gun. Man, this thing is head and shoulders above the cheapos.
I got the 1134 mostly b/c is comes with the flexible and rigid fill tubes. Couldn't believe it, O'Rielly had both style Lincolns on the shelf.
Good karma.

I hear ya. Grease guns and I have never gotten along, and I've had several. My current one is a Craftsman "Professional" series air-operated. At least it's fun to use when it works, making the cool pshhh-pshhh-pshhh-pshhh noise.

Whatever you do, don't do what I did: Last summer on a hot day I had to refill, so I unscrewed the tube, tossed the empty cartridge. Popped the plastic cap off the open end of a new cartridge, pulled the plunger back and cocked it, and slide the new cartridge into the tube. Pulled the pop top off the other end, then as I was reaching for the gun, I bumped the end of the plunger rod, which released the spring. Recall that it was a hot day, so the grease was pretty gooey. I then had the displeasure of watching a big turd of fresh expensive synthetic Amsoil grease get ejected out of the tube, hover in the air for a brief second, then fall with a sickly SPLAT in the middle of my driveway. That sucked to clean up.

Thanks for the warning. Just pick one myself, have not get chance to play around it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom