GPS apps and what's the best info for BC in particular? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is what I have going on, Ram mount for my phone and iPad
IMG_2864.jpg

Good god! That is way more crap than I want in my truck. Just one for me just for
fun. I have the single plate for my iPad. Are those screwed right to the dash then?
My 60 Land Cruiser dash isn’t as big.

Ok, Yukon trip is done. The CanadaTopo App was really amazing. Downloaded all areas section maps
before I left. My iPad is satellite capable so turned off wifi and let it go. It really drained the iPad battery
quickly, but that was only while creating a track or when I left position ON - but let me say the position was
immediate and really accurate. It found trailheads to within a few feet, basically stop the truck and look straight out the window. It created tracks, calculating distances and altitudes again, very accurately.
So long as it was plugged in. I’ve got some cool track files now, and while following an ATV trail, it indicated a trap line foot trail within feet.
Best thing - no cost and I’ve downloaded a lot of files. It uses up some memory, but not really bad considering. I’ve got way more maps downloaded than I’ll use at once. And once I’ve created a track, I can easily select and bring it back up whether online or not. So for me, 5 stars. J

A0974465-3F17-41DC-AF97-813B938258E3.png

Thanks for the info.

I've still got downloaded an old version of Canada Topo, as well as Ibycus Canada and USA. They work well with a legacy version of enRoute. Need my laptop along to use, so have not accessed those files in a long time.

One program that came across my radar lately is Maps Me which has good reviews on line by various user group (bikes, vehicles, hiking, etc) and is usable off line.

hth's
gb

I remembered halfway into our trip on Saturday that I had installed the free version of Gaia on my phone. Seems to work pretty good, but holy crap did it chew through battery life in a hurry when tracking.

Any time, with any ipad while tracking the battery just doesn’t last. I use them
in the cockpit for work, and if it’s tracking it better be charging or two hrs tops
its done. I really like paper maps and map books. So it’s not like I ever get lost, but
having definitive distances and then being able to confirm information is fun.
The nice thing, I can expand the map pretty large an area and I can plan long legs
with this app.

Seems like anytime that the GPS is on and tracking, the device starts to draw more juice. On our weekend outing at Norrish, I had GAIA and Spotify on at the same time, and the regular / super-low-voltage USB adapter was barely keeping the charge stable. With a higher amperage USB charger (fast charger equivalent), my device re-charges very quickly with both Apps running.
GAIA is easy to use on a handheld device too.
I've been using Canada Topo on Android as a separate App (looks like Topo Canada is only on the iApple platform, and included in GAIA Premium). Very accurate, but the maps frequently do not have the FSRs on them, which is strange because I'm sure that the equivalent paper versions have them.
I'm going to upload the KML and GPX files from the Norrish trip on that forum page.

Very accurate, but the maps frequently do not have the FSRs on them, which is strange because I'm sure that the equivalent paper versions have them.
I also noticed, but since I'm generally just happy following ATV's anyways, roads are a bonus!

True that! Sometimes those get tighter and tighter though... like trying to wedge yourself through a funnel!

One program that came across my radar lately is Maps Me which has good reviews on line by various user group (bikes, vehicles, hiking, etc) and is usable off line.

hth's
gb

Yup, wife also uses Maps Me as she does most of the digital navigating. Has worked out quite well for many different areas we've travelled. I'm better with paper maps myself

Yup, wife also uses Maps Me as she does most of the digital navigating. Has worked out quite well for many different areas we've travelled. I'm better with paper maps myself
I prefer paper. You still in Nelson? I might pop through there mid-November.

I am. well actually a bit west of town but closer to nelson than castlegar. drop me a note when you'll be out this way. finally talk of a chunk of work starting up so may affect if I'm around but maybe

As for the orig topic, for this area anyways people seem to use Trailforks a lot. shows all the small hike, bike, quad trails and typically the roads system you need to get to trail heads.

Never admit to being from Castlegar....I hated to admit I even lived there.

So Im assuming most folks here download the apps and not go with lets say a Garmin Overlander or something else similar? Ive heard mixed reviews about the overlander and also the hefty price tag. Will Gaia and brmb work with no service? I need something that is good along with my paper maps when Im back deep in the fire roads of Oregon.

Garmin Overlander is a good way to spend your money. Lots of everything - in my opinion you
don’t need. If they would just make a large screen / mil spec waterproof/dust proof backroad gps.
I‘m looking at buying a truck tomorrow that is cheaper than the Overlander.
There are as posted many ways to get good gps without spending that kind of money.

I‘ll check out that Top Notch Nav as soon as I get some other stuff sorted. got all winter now.

Garmin Overlander is a good way to spend your money. Lots of everything - in my opinion you
don’t need. If they would just make a large screen / mil spec waterproof/dust proof backroad gps.
I‘m looking at buying a truck tomorrow that is cheaper than the Overlander.
There are as posted many ways to get good gps without spending that kind of money.

I‘ll check out that Top Notch Nav as soon as I get some other stuff sorted. got all winter now.
I heard a lot folks use phones or iPads with Gaia and heard honestly that’s the way to go. Gaia has numerous layering options and fireroad maps that the overland doesn’t. Just what I’ve seen in reviews and YouTube

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom