Got info for a trip to Baja fj60 build? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Baja Peninsula advice?

I plan on drivin down to the Baja Peninsula in the next 5 months in an FJ60 i will hopefully be purchasing in the near future. Hopin to score some waves and comin back unscathed. If anyone has been and has some advice, im all ears. Im takin my little brother (18) with me and dont want to run into too much trouble:D

Last edited:
you might try doing a search for the words Baja Peninsula.

one of the local mudders goes every year, and I know several SoCal mudders travel there as well.

I'd do this:

1. Buy FJ60
2. Change Fluids/belts, put on a set of BFG ATs, fix any obvious driveablility/safety issues;
3. Get Passport;
4. Take $400-$500 in tens and twenties;
5. Fill FJ60 with gas;
6. Go to Baja; don't be an ugly American.

-H-

I plan on drivin down to the Baja Peninsula in the next 5 months in an FJ60 i will hopefully be purchasing in the near future. Hopin to score some waves and comin back unscathed. If anyone has been and has some advice, im all ears. Im takin my little brother (18) with me and dont want to run into too much trouble:D

I go several times every year. last trip was over new years and it was amazing. what do you want to know?

Last edited:
Get a bull bar. Don't drive at night. Where there's a fatal accident, fiends & relatives put crosses at the site. Look for crosses. The more crosses, the worse the upcoming curve is. Carry extra gas. Drive through the border towns as fast as you can. Don't go to Cabo. Have a blast.

Nice picture of your camp. I cant wait for that. How far south do you usually go?

Whats the reason for no night driving? Dangerous roads or bandito road blocks. Ever run across any banditos, if so what do ya do to keep your rig/lives/money? Ever come across any sharks? TIgers or whites? We plan on pitchin a tent every night, no hostels, no roof top tents. Should we stay in campgrounds the entire time or is it pretty safe to camp on the beach in remote places? I dont want any run ins with banditos. But i also dont mind a couple guys tryin to rob me, as long as theres no gun involved, Ive got my bat and machete:) If it were just me goin, i'd wing it. But im takin my little brother along. He's 18, knows everything, and has a big mouth. I dont think he's learned that he cant dodge bullets.

Nice picture of your camp. I cant wait for that. How far south do you usually go?

Whats the reason for no night driving? Dangerous roads or bandito road blocks. Ever run across any banditos, if so what do ya do to keep your rig/lives/money? Ever come across any sharks? TIgers or whites? We plan on pitchin a tent every night, no hostels, no roof top tents. Should we stay in campgrounds the entire time or is it pretty safe to camp on the beach in remote places? I dont want any run ins with banditos. But i also dont mind a couple guys tryin to rob me, as long as theres no gun involved, Ive got my bat and machete:) If it were just me goin, i'd wing it. But im takin my little brother along. He's 18, knows everything, and has a big mouth. I dont think he's learned that he cant dodge bullets.

That particular campside is in Punta Kono, which is north of Santa Rosalillita on the pacific side.
I've been all over. I think we put in 50k miles over the last 6 years down there.
If I only have a few days I go to Bahia de Los Angeles. out at La Gringa is wonderful camping and fishing. You will need to decide on a route when you know how much time you have. I'll be happy to advise. Get the Baja Almanac (new version just came out)-it has all the small roads in it.

No night driving, as there is little light and animals sleep on the road, as it is warmer. and the one paved road is not wide, and the huge trucks that service the peninsula go all night. N=and third, you cannot enjoy the landscape.

never any bandidos for me. but I avoid the border areas like the plague.

tent camping is fine. we did this for years before the roof top tent. there are scorpions everywhere, so have a mosquito net and don't leave your shoes outside.

no big sharks. you can see small ones and hammerheads snorkling. there are whites in the area, but they hang out at guadaloupe island with the seals. this is really no concern.

forget the campgrounds, as there aren;t any in most part of baja. take a side road, find a nice place, camp. it is wide open country.

no guns. you will run into many military checkopints. guns will land you in jail. drugs too. everything else is fine. I've never ever had a body-search, so keep your wallet in your pocket at the checkpoints. a little spanish helps.

people are generally great. it is poor country, so don't brag, and give stuff away. your worn sneakers are very valuable to someone there.

that is a really short version. it is a magic country, read up on it before you go, you'll enjoy it much more.

cheers,
Jan

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! Makes sense not to drive at night now. As for the scorpions and mosquito net, is the idea to sleep inside a net wrapped around your sleeping bag? And you say avoid the borders, meaning the california/mexico border?? Would you recomend driving on Mex1 or Mex1D out of tijuana for safety?? We are tryin to get some good waves, but we dont mind missing the surf on the northern most part of the peninsula if it gets us out of possible harms way sooner...and i heard the waves are crowded until you get closer to Ensenada and beyond. I'll get an almanac, and check out the road situation. Almost forgot, mexican insurance. Is it for real? And who do you go through if it is? Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your knowledge! Makes sense not to drive at night now. As for the scorpions and mosquito net, is the idea to sleep inside a net wrapped around your sleeping bag? And you say avoid the borders, meaning the california/mexico border?? Would you recomend driving on Mex1 or Mex1D out of tijuana for safety?? We are tryin to get some good waves, but we dont mind missing the surf on the northern most part of the peninsula if it gets us out of possible harms way sooner...and i heard the waves are crowded until you get closer to Ensenada and beyond. I'll get an almanac, and check out the road situation. Almost forgot, mexican insurance. Is it for real? And who do you go through if it is? Thanks!

just have a mosquito net that is on the tent, so you can leave it open for air, but nothing can come in.

yes, I mean the mex-US border. The best way is to get straight on the scenic route/highway to ensenada in tijuana. it is actually indicated ok.

There are very few incidences of where tourists are targeted, so tijuana during the day is just fine. it is huge city though, and getting lost is not fun.

absolutely get insurance. if you don't have it and get into an accident you got to jail. you can pick it up before the border, or better, online. Go to bajanomad.com, there is a link that works well.
cheers,
J

As previously listed and more:
• Mexican auto insurance.
• Bypass the boarder towns, cross at Otasy Mesa or Tecatefor a mellower time and shorter waits. Cross in the a.m. after sunrise.
• Get your tourist paperwork locally in the US at AAA or the consulate.
• Get your pesos at a bank machine with your ATM card in a safe area in a big town. Grocery stores are good.
• No night driving for sure. (I can't say I have religiously stuck to this but keep it to an absolute necessary min.)
• NO guns or drugs. NO! Check your car for loose ammo if you are that sort, even that will land you in the can under Napoleonic codes- especially if "military" calibers. If you want to hunt quail or dove get a .22 cal pellet rifle while you are there. That is legal and the common caliber. Better off fishing/ spearing though. Especially in Baja Sur
•*Giving stuff away is awesome, surf wax is hard to come by so bring it and flow it to the locals you befriend. Leashes too.
• Fuel is far between in places carry at least an extra 5, more if you are planning the central coast.
• Time swells and bring fishing equipment.
• Bring spare parts for or replace things that look sketchy on the truck as LC's are not super common. Belts. hoses that kind of minor stuff.
• Color copy IDs and show those first. This goes anywhere in the world.
• Bring something to filter fuel sold out of 50 gal drums if you end up far from a Pemex. For real.
• Bring a fish/ egg in addition to your 6-0 chip you'll ride it more.
• If you don't already learn to love reef breaks when you are deep south. Just like HI with less power.
• Pick up hitch hiking/ walking campesanos when it seems appropriate/ safe. You might get to learn about medicinal plants and iguana eating as we did once.
• Enjoy the super nice folks and warm water (at least compared to SF!)
• Drive inland.
• Don't call it Baja and learn some Spanish if you don't already know some.

You'll have a blast! I'm trying to head back this summer for the souths.... Mainland Mexico is also awesome with amazing surf.

PS: Prepare yourself for Canadians, which you ought already be used to.

PPS: Surfing is fun!

• Bypass the boarder towns, cross at Otasy Mesa or Tecatefor a mellower time and shorter waits. Cross in the a.m. after sunrise.
• Get your tourist paperwork locally in the US at AAA or the consulate.
• Get your pesos at a bank machine with your ATM card in a safe area in a big town. Grocery stores are good.
• NO guns or drugs. NO! Check your car for loose ammo if you are that sort, even that will land you in the can under Napoleonic codes- especially if "military" calibers. If you want to hunt quail or dove get a .22 cal pellet rifle while you are there. That is legal and the common caliber. Better off fishing/ spearing though. Especially in Baja Sur
• Fuel is far between in places carry at least an extra 5, more if you are planning the central coast.
• Bring spare parts for or replace things that look sketchy on the truck as LC's are not super common. Belts. hoses that kind of minor stuff.

excellent advice here.
the border waits into Mex are neglectable. coming out of mex otay mesa is good, but you have to find it first.
yes, there are visa requirements if you cross into baja california sur. however, you can get the piece of paer and the stamp at the crossing in guerrero negro. the rules change all the time though. you can also get the paper in tijuana any time of the day right after the crossing. they actually let you park in the inspection area for that where there is tons of police.
ATMs are good advice. there are some at the toll stations on the scenic road, they are well accessible too.
don;'t bring a .22. it will get you in trouble as well.
Fuel availability is much better than just a few years ago, there are stations popping up everywhere. I still take a 5 gall can, and my range is 600 miles with the diesel. with a thursty gasser I'd take more spares. Even the stretch from el rosario to guerrero negro would get hairy otherwise. the new almanac has the fuel stations in there pretty reliably.
Yes, no Cruiser support. they never sold them in Mex, so bring your spares.

why not call it Baja? the locals call it baja california, no?
cheers,
J

Yep, what Jan-78FJ40 said. To make that clear, a .22 cal PELLET gun-not a .22 rimfire. They are available in sporting goods shops there. Legal in Mexico and at the boarder. If you are there a long time in the bush some variety in your diet is good.

I too have a diesel so the advice for gassers is good advice.

The Mexican consulate is not far from where I work and live and a great resource.

That Baja Almanac is great, especially for off coast side trips- highly recommended!

It is better to call it Baja Norte or Baja Sur or even Baja California. No one in Latin America will call it just Baja. That is a very US-centric name- Mexico lost some territory to some northern neighbor remember. Calling it by it's proper name may get you some more respect as someone who has taken the time to get a sense of what is going on, not just some touring ass. Think San Fran or Frisco vs. San Francisco or the City (how's that for arrogant?!). I'm from Hawaii and I always bristle when someone tells me they're going to "the islands". What, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands. the Phillipines? We own/ influence some islands here in the US! You are going to Waikiki, a-hole!

Harsh toke?
Jeff

PS: don't forget first aid for minor things like urchin spines, rock & reef cuts, bites, sunburn and the like.... And water! Depending on where you go you will need to be self-reliant. No need to overdo it but some common sense provisions are a necessity. On the central coast there is really not much there but desert, wind and surf. You can go days without seeing others and they are as far away from anything as you are.

Last edited:
It is better to call it Baja Norte or Baja Sur or even Baja California. No one in Latin America will call it just Baja. That is a very US-centric name- Mexico lost some territory to some northern neighbor remember. Calling it by it's proper name may get you some more respect as someone who has taken the time to get a sense of what is going on, not just some touring ass. Think San Fran or Frisco vs. San Francisco or the City (how's that for arrogant?!). I'm from Hawaii and I always bristle when someone tells me they're going to "the islands". What, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands. the Phillipines? We own/ influence some islands here in the US! You are going to Waikiki, a-hole!

Harsh toke?
Jeff

you are absolutely correct, of course, thank you.

PS: don't forget first aid for minor things like urchin spines, rock & reef cuts, bites, sunburn and the like.... And water! Depending on where you go you will need to be self-reliant. No need to overdo it but some common sense provisions are a necessity. On the central coast there is really not much there but desert, wind and surf. You can go days without seeing others and they are as far away from anything as you are.

again, very good advice. I actually carry a full first aid kit including sutures and stuff.

and Water is vital. We never go with less than 2x5 gallon cans and fill them up wherever possible with the gallon jugs available in stores.

Another important thing is shade. In summer it can get brutally hot, especially on the sea of cortez side. without shade you'll fry.

and the tent needs to be absolutely windproof. before the roof top tent we had several tents ripped to shreds down there. and never neglect to anchor the tent with heavy stones, as it can go from 0 to 60 mph winds within minutes.

Most of Baja is very remote, and one is many hours away from medical service or any other support, which needs to be taken into account. If you drive into a side road for 5 hours it will be very hard or close to impossible to just walk out. and outside of the 'big' cities there is no phone service.

cheers,
J

Tons of great info!! Planned on spare parts, water and fuel. And bringing our chips, fish and longboards:) Something for everything. I guess my next step is gettin all the paperwork in order, insurance, passports, etc.

Yeah, like Jan said- shade! If you are like me these winters can make you pretty white! It's embarrassing really. Sunscreen and shade are crucial items to enjoy the trip w/o getting scorched. Think rash guard if you are going to be in trunkable water. Last January I wore a 2mm full both because I am a baby about the cold and because I was WHITE, in pretty trunkable water no less. But I shiver at Bowls, never mind North Shore winters- cold! I used to wear sweaters to school in Honolulu! My friends were wearing insulated Levi's jackets!

Have fun it is a beautiful place with awesome people!

and fish-tacos! just drive up to one of the stands on the side of the road. it'll be to die for....I need to go back down there...

For fishing we use relatively thin lines (10#) and relatively heavy silver lures (5/8), so you can cast far. In the sea of cortez you'll catch barracuda close to the surface and bass deep down. and tons of other fish...

camping in Bahia Los Angeles, and some fish from there...

Last edited:
Im gettin the itch to go really bad now!! Thanks guys:) I may have to get a fishin license as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom