GOOD SHOP FOR LCs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,
I've been reading this board for a while. TLCA member but not yet CLCC; haven't been able to make a meeting.

I am up in Germantown and have a FJ62 that I am thinking about refurbishing. It is my daily driver, very reliable and in good condition. Here is the prioritzed worklist I am thinking about:
1) body rust (est $2400 by good body shop)
2) check frame (any rust, can it be fixed?)
3) minor oil leaks, replace seals
4) full tune-up
5) H55F conversion
6) repaint (not really necessary, maybe waste of money)

I am thinking about going to Cruiser Solutions up in NH because I am from there, family is up there. I would prefer a local shop however. Any recommendations?

I love reading this board. Thanks for any comments/advice. Picture below.
Doug
DCM_FJ62_resize.jpg

IronPig Offroad in Fredericksburgh Va! He goes by IPOR here on MUD. Sorry I can't provide a phone # here, but there is one on the web page: http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/

Thanks for the leads and welcome. I emailed IronPig today.

Thanks for the leads and welcome. I emailed IronPig today.

Just FYI, Lance (the owner) is at SEMA so it might take a little longer than usual to get a response.

Oh, and welcome to the area! :D

Heard back from Lance yesterday. Will probably be able to do the refurb for around $6000. Will have to put off H55F and repaint for later (unless of course my wife decides that I am right and we just have to have a 5-speed). Thanks again!

Heard back from Lance yesterday. Will probably be able to do the refurb for around $6000. Will have to put off H55F and repaint for later (unless of course my wife decides that I am right and we just have to have a 5-speed). Thanks again!

Hi Doug:

Just curious, what does the refurbish include?

- Dave

Hey Dave,

It includes:

body rust
frame rust
replace seals
full-tune-up
misc (tailgate pneumatics, missing headrest...)

Obviously the price is very specific to this truck. The H55F install is MUCH more expensive than I thought so it will have to wait.

Nice line-up by the way; I saw it on "owner's rigs". -This site is addictive.

I hear Land Cruiser solutions does great work and I'd go up there if I was you. I have some friends in the New England area who speak very highly of them. I've seen their work first hand and think their products are great. Might not be cheap (they are reasonable though for what they do) but you get what you pay for and the owner has been at this for MANY years, not just a few. Whenever I've talked to him, he's been a really cool guy. They also specialize in what you going after - restoration and renovation, rather than gonzo and illegal to drive in VA, spring overs, rock buggies, etc. Very nice and friendly guy, super knowledgeable. I do all of my own work, but if I did not, I go to the trouble to get my truck to a real expert like this guy, even if it was not convient. Going to the closest guy is never wise when it comes to restoration work, find the best guy with reasonable prices, professional staff, etc and go to him.

Just my oppinion.

Also, Auto Body Craftsman in Rockville is awesome. It's owned by a guy named John Figliozzi who's son Donny Figliozzi is a Cruiser head. They have done a lot of work for me. 30 plus years in the business. They do mechanical work as well. Donny was active in the CLCC for many years and still goes to GSMTR every year.

Popes Autobody in Fairfax does great work. Really nice paint jobs, but not cheap. I was very impressed by the work they do. Factory qualtiy stuff...

I've had pretty good luck with the Maaco in Chantilly, the owner (josh?) is a really nice guy and they do good work for the price. It's Maaco, but much better than any other Maaco I've ever seen. They paint all my project trucks for me. I would not take a $30,000+ car but for a Cruiser that going to go wheeling anyway, they are excellent. I've had about 6 paintjobs done there, all turned out great and waay cheap. Some looked like $3000 paint jobs (it's all in the prep work that you do before you go).

Thanks for the info Stumbaugh. I'll have to weigh everything and make a decision. Maybe LCS on next visit home. If there is a way to do the H55F for $4000ish vice $7000-8000ish that will be the deciding factor.

Hey Doug. Nice 60. I am in Germantown too. Good to see more cruiser heads around here.

Welcome!!

:cheers:

As far as Iron Pig Offroad is concerned I would not hesitate to take your vehicle to Lance and get the items you listed done.

His shops work is top notch ( and I speak from first hand knowledge )

Another Option: Ryan Bascom is also running a shop that has recently started up. He's been working in the trade for a while now and is pretty darn good. If you want to stay local, you might want to get in touch with him. I sold him my tube bender waaaay back in the day so he's been at this whole thing for a while and he's got a lot of professional experince - not some shade tree turned pro.

http://www.belowdeckfabrication.com/

Nice guy.

Who ever you decide to hire, check out their level of training and professional experince. I know Ryan is both a tradesman and a certifield welder. Having passed certs myself when I went to welding school, I'd be really carefull about having anyone work on your rig that was what the trades call a "gypsy welder" or someone who is self taught and moonlighting as a pro. Same goes for mechanical and autobody trades, ask for professional background and years of professional experince in that trade. Ask to see SAE certs. If your going to pay some hack to work on your rig, you might as well hack it up yourself, that's what I do.

-Stumbaugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom