Going to be in PA, thinking about stopping by Krown for undercarriage, question: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,
I'm thinking about scheduling an undercoating for my '98. I live at the beach on the coast of VA and there is seemingly nowhere to get it treated, since we don't salt roads I assume the market just isn't there, but, we do have salt air....There's a Krown up near some family in Mechanicsburg, PA and I'd like to get the undercarriage done but I'm not interested in having my doors drilled/filled. I can't see having any issues with my doors where I am so I thought skipping that would be best. Any insight into this for someone who has never done it? Maybe the drilling is no big deal and I should let it happen. Or maybe I'm just wondering out loud here.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Why not do it yourself? No drilling needed....just feed flexible wand into drain holes of door bottoms and all holes in frame.... Oila'! Satisfaction of job done right and congratulatory beer afterwards.... Truly a :banana: job.

image.png

Why not do it yourself? No drilling needed....just feed flexible wand into drain holes of door bottoms and all holes in frame.... Oila'! Satisfaction of job done right and congratulatory beer afterwards.... Truly a :banana: job.

View attachment 1313922
It did cross my mind honestly. With the build I have going though I have my share of satisfaction of job done, along with frustration of things in progress haha. Figured since Krown is about $70 less than the fluid film kit and I'd be there, might be worthwhile. Going to save that in my Amazon list though, good stuff.

I fluid filmed my underbody using just the aerosol cans last year. Lasted through winter. I'll do another coat this Thanksgiving

That kit will last you probably 4 treatments too. Those gallons go a long way! Once you treat the crevices once or twice...it's easy and much less product to maintain the high wear areas on the undercarriage.

That kit will last you probably 4 treatments too. Those gallons go a long way! Once you treat the crevices once or twice...it's easy and much less product to maintain the high wear areas on the undercarriage.
Nice. Might just have to go that route then. Thanks.

I just scheduled a Krown coating for my 2000. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I bought my 2000 from a private seller in Raleigh, NC in October '15 and searched hi and lo for a way to rust proof it and Krown seemed to be the best...had it done last winter at a place in West Middlesex, PA and the undercarriage is still pristine. I also had the doors, hatch etc done (drilled, squirted, etc) No complaints in general...very pleased with the protection of the undercarriage however, do note that you will be some "weeping" of the stuff from the doors and hatch, etc through the year...it is frustrating my wife - which is never good (as I had my LC and Outback done). I plan to take both back this year, but just do the undercarriage. I don't think the doors/hatch need to be done each year, besides, still seems to be some in there as I am still getting some weeping of it

Note - I had a '99 LC that I bought in 2010. It was pristine when I got it, but 5 winters in the Burgh starting getting to it and was showing rust underneath...I POR-15ed it to try and address it. As it turns out, it sadly met it's demise on valentine's day 2015 on an icy highway....no one was hurt, but the LC died (R.I.P.).

My hope is that this Krown will do the trick...so far so good.

I just scheduled a Krown coating for my 2000. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I bought my 2000 from a private seller in Raleigh, NC in October '15 and searched hi and lo for a way to rust proof it and Krown seemed to be the best...had it done last winter at a place in West Middlesex, PA and the undercarriage is still pristine. I also had the doors, hatch etc done (drilled, squirted, etc) No complaints in general...very pleased with the protection of the undercarriage however, do note that you will be some "weeping" of the stuff from the doors and hatch, etc through the year...it is frustrating my wife - which is never good (as I had my LC and Outback done). I plan to take both back this year, but just do the undercarriage. I don't think the doors/hatch need to be done each year, besides, still seems to be some in there as I am still getting some weeping of it

Note - I had a '99 LC that I bought in 2010. It was pristine when I got it, but 5 winters in the Burgh starting getting to it and was showing rust underneath...I POR-15ed it to try and address it. As it turns out, it sadly met it's demise on valentine's day 2015 on an icy highway....no one was hurt, but the LC died (R.I.P.).

My hope is that this Krown will do the trick...so far so good.
My timetable ramped up and I'll actually be heading up to PA next week now so I'm just going to do it but minus the doors and hatch, as long as they're okay with that. Mine's more of a beach truck based paranoia, I can count on one hand the amount of times we've had roads salted over the years, so this is more of a precaution for those fall and winter weeks we have winds blowing heavy onshore for days and I don't get out to hose things down. Plus it'll be nice to run the 100 on 12+ hour round trip run, been a few months since it's been out more than just around town.

The trip back will be good to get the "drips" out as well. To this point, you may want to park is on the street for a couple days once you get back as it can "drip" for a couple days from the undercarriage after it is done...goes away after that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom