GM vs. Dodge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know the early GM nv4500 has the 6.34:1 unsynchroed 1st gear, but I've heard there is a night and day difference between the early and late models when it comes to shifting smoothness (I'm sure it's still smoother than my 4speed or a sm420).

Is this just because of the wider ratio btwn gears in the early?

I've emailed a few parts/dealers about this but I tend to get bull**** answers (meaning they prolly don't know).

Anyone have any personal experience with the two?

i heard that it was just louder.but i've never driven anything with a nv4500.so what do i know :slap:

Update!

Talked to a guy at High Impact and he said it's all in the gear spread. Also said there is quite a difference btwn the two.

Good guy. He said they can do just about anything to them. Change shafts, gears, cases (put the dodge HD output shaft into an early chevy case). Pretty cool.

My NV4500 is a '95 and it shifts smooth and isen't that loud. As you know there isen't much insulation in the tunnel on a cruiser comparied to a full ton Chev. It's the Chev motor that makes all the racket.

For what it's worth all NV4500's have all forward gears synchroed. The early chevy ones didn't have synchroed reverse. I hear the early ones are much louder as well and drive sort of like a 3 speed with an overdrive b/c the first is so low.

Whichever 4500 you decide to use, make sure that the fifth gear retention update has been done to it. Fifth gear dropped off the trans shaft because of it having RH thread and the gear spinning CCW. Was repaired under warranty by Dodge, and have had good luck with the trans. since, that was over 100thou ago, and we are almost at 140 now. '96 Cummins/dually/4x4 pull rig.

Been told that Chev is the same way, and that New Venture was aware of the problem for many years, and did not change the gear retention metod until after '98.

Drove a '95 chev 3/4 ton gas for a while with one, did not notice the trans being noisy..could not imagine that it would be any louder than a Toyota four speed, or a 465. First is lower, and really not that big of a deal to not use, as you would not use it when street driving a 420, 465, T-18 or any of the deep first geared transmissions...

Have you picked one up yet?

Good luck!

-Steve

I haven't gotten one yet. Moving in 2 months and kinda put everything on hold.

I've been scoutin junkyards and ebay, but havn't seen anything worthwhile. The pickins are gettin slim, so I've been told.

I've also been told the rebuild kits for these are around $800+!! Depending on the price for a used one, I might be better off goin to High Impact and gettin a warranteed one.

I looked into it and lots of people said it's best to go new, but if you don't do that, then get a good rebuild (dyno tested and all) from a local shop, then if you have a warantee issue you can take it to them directly... That's what I did. By coincience it also happened to be the best deal ($1150) and had a 2 year warantee, better than anyone else!

hope it helps!

Andre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom