Glow plug tip color: Orange sufficient? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am playing around with my L engine (2,2 liter diesel engine with the 7 volt super glow system). I had some starting problems recently and I am trying to weed out the problems.

I pulled out all 4 injectors which allowed me to have a clear view on all 4 glow plug tips while installed. Without starting the engine itself I engaged the glow system with its 2 glow plug relays by just turning the key and watch through the injector holes what the glow plugs were doing.

I observed that all 4 glow plugs turned orange after a few seconds, all with the same intensity. I did the test while it was dark to get a clear view of the color. I was not able to make a good picture but the color resembles this:

ral-2005-luminous-orange.jpg

Is that color (=degree of heat) sufficient for starting or should it be more bright yellow?

Lucas

I would say orange is correct. A better method to know if they are good is to measure current when voltage is applied. You should be able to find a spec somewhere or compare to a new known good. And this technique lets you check then without pulling anything.

I would say orange is correct. A better method to know if they are good is to measure current when voltage is applied. You should be able to find a spec somewhere or compare to a new known good. And this technique lets you check then without pulling anything.

As current can be limited by poor connections or worn relay contacts, measuring the plug resistance is a better option yet. I=V/R (Amps=Volts/Ohms)

tmp-cam-4539166034169104778.jpg

I've been known to install an ammeter in a car. If it's not pulling 48-50 amps while glowing there's a problem with something..glow plugs, fuse, relay, wiring.

If you touch one when they are glowing you will know its hot enough. It doesnt take a huge increase in combustion chamber temp to help[ a diesel start.
Ive left a 1HZ in the sun in 42c. It cold started before the glowplugs even get hot.

If you touch one when they are glowing you will know its hot enough. It doesnt take a huge increase in combustion chamber temp to help[ a diesel start.
Ive left a 1HZ in the sun in 42c. It cold started before the glowplugs even get hot.

Yes, but then the entire engine block is 42 degC. If the entire block is -10 degC and only a small tip is 600 degC (=orange) then its a different story. I think when the tip is bright yellow we are at approx 1000 degC.

Yeah , but people pour hot water on cyl heads and they start in cold conditions.

In a Canadian 3B with super glow, the plugs are supposed to be 6 volts, I have tried 7 volt plugs, they worked, but not as well, as they are not reaching the same temp in the same time.
Bosch states the design tip temp of a glow plug should be 850C to 1100C. So as a rough guide, Orange to light yellow, for the correct period of time should give the heat you need to get the atomized fuel to combust in the air charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom