Glow plug system help 92 HZJ77 1HZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Upon inspection of my fuse panel I noticed there is no 7.5A fuse for "glow". In fact there are no contacts in the fuse panel where the supposed fuse is supposed to go.

The glow relay actuated when the ignition is 'on'. It looks like I'm getting 5V to the relay switch when I checked with a voltmeter.

Had my system/timer been bypassed? What else can I check to make sure this is running correctly, I.e. my glow plugs aren't saying on. I'm new to diesels so any help is appreciated.

Also attaching a picture of a wire that appears to be bypassed or repaired. Not sure if it's related. It's a green/white wire coming from the steering column.

43546F57-7733-4C86-A7D4-226B7FD0361E.jpeg

96381EEB-FC3C-471F-A701-B856DE53FBE3.jpeg

Step A. Who/why did someone tap into the main power (steering column) and where do the volts go? step2: does it start and run?

Step A. Who/why did someone tap into the main power (steering column) and where do the volts go? step2: does it start and run?
I need to look at the wiring diagram to figure what's going on with this wire splicing.

Engine fires right up. I put my voltmeter on the glow relay and it appears to be on a timer.

Had my system/timer been bypassed? What else can I check to make sure this is running correctly, I.e. my glow plugs aren't saying on. I'm new to diesels so any help is appreciated.

They should go through an initial high voltage glow and then a secondary glow at a lower voltage. How long depends on ambient temps and engine temps
Sometimes the timer craps out and they are replaced with after market types with a period adjustable glow. My glow timer died and an auto electrician gave me one that still worked on the secondary glow which was fine in my climate.
If your 1HZ is starting almost instantly from the starter , you must be getting some glow. Or it would take 10 seconds or more.
Does your glow light on the dash work? They usually go off after 2-4 seconds

They should go through an initial high voltage glow and then a secondary glow at a lower voltage. How long depends on ambient temps and engine temps
Sometimes the timer craps out and they are replaced with after market types with a period adjustable glow. My glow timer died and an auto electrician gave me one that still worked on the secondary glow which was fine in my climate.
If your 1HZ is starting almost instantly from the starter , you must be getting some glow. Or it would take 10 seconds or more.
Does your glow light on the dash work? They usually go off after 2-4 seconds
I was troubleshooting by myself, so I wasn't able to grab exact times and voltages. I know that it dropped to 5V and then to zero. I'll rerun with a friend to get exact data.

There is no glow plug indicator on the dash. The fuse location for "glow" has no fuse or contacts. I'm wondering if that's factory and this just runs off an ECU? Who would pull the contact out of the fuse panel?

AFAIK, all of the diesel 7* series have a glow light. Its there to tell you to start the engine when the light goes off. And I don't think its connected in any way to the glow plugs. Its connected the timer

Last edited:
AFAIK, all of the diesel 7* series have a glow light. Its there to tell you to start the engine when the light goes off. And I don't think its connected in any way to the glow plugs. Its connected the timer
It's strange. Especially the fact that there aren't any fuse contacts in the fuse panel for "glow" which would be in line with the glow light in the dash. Is there a good .pdf source for wiring diagrams? Anyone know where the timer is physically located?

I pulled the fuse panel to look behind it. There are no wires or contacts for the glow fuse or the ECD fuse. The slots are completely empty. It really looks like it wasn't tampered with. Is it possible that the 92 77 variant did not have a glow light?

4CE78DC1-8AC8-46C2-A1C1-BF336F4D0B12.jpeg

1E200387-4D92-4B49-BB84-A7544B556D77.jpeg

Is it possible that the 92 77 variant did not have a glow light?
There is only 2 models of HZJ77 in 1992 and they both have a "heater control indicator" The timer is behind the glovebox and off to the right. Its about the size of a cig packet and the part number should be 28521-17100 or possibly 28521-17130. Dont confuse it with a aircon part that looks similar.
In the diagram below, it has some of the part number, 28521 and "timer" underneath.

The HZJ7* were designed to be driver friendly, inexperienced drivers didn't have to guess when the glow plugs were ready and the engine ready to crank, the light tells them.
You can buy or download a workshop manual.

1624491343273.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom