Generator for camping and tailgating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I am in the beginning stages in shopping for a small generator for camping and tailgating and any other small jobs that may be needed around the house in the event of a storm.
I am wanting either a Honda or Yamaha.
Two things are a big concern. One, noise and two, size. The quieter and smaller the better. I am thinking 2000 watts would be good and a per inverters would be huge.
I am just not sure of the two brands which meets my criteria.

There's a Honda eu2000i...solid winner. Covers all your criteria with Honda reliability

You won't find a quieter genset than the honda.

They cost money, but are well worth it.

So let me ask Y'all a question concerning the Honda. I have watched only a few YouTube video's on the Hondas'. It seems when they start the Honda on the video's it is considerably loud. Is there a warm up process then it quiets down to where you can not hear it?

Also Honda 2000 have 2 of them and they are the way to fly. no cheap china knockoff

They throttle up on start and under heavy load, still half as quiet as your normal 4stroke engine at idle.

My brother is cheap -- and he says Honda.

If I had the bucks -- and the need, that's what I'd buy.

I bought a 4k knockoff for the motorhome. I love it. It was only $300, and works well.

Having said that;

if I had it to do over, I would drop three times as much on a honda that ran half the power.

You can buy quiet and reliable, it just costs more initially.
Buy right; it's worth it.

yup, the Honda EUxxxi s have to be just about the quietest ones out there. Now, of course they're not like you can't tell whether there are on or off, they do make noise, but much less than most (all?) others. You can have it running at idle and have a normal conversation 3ft away. When it's cranking it's noticeably louder but still not objectionable as in it would make you run away holding your ears.

Low noise is essential for camping, obviously.

I got the 2000. Glad I did. Bit bigger and heavier than the 1000 but opens up many new possibilities with the extra power.

Don't overlook the comparable Yamaha inverter generators. I have the 2400ishc and love it. It is quite, sips fuel, starts in first pull and has power to spare. I'm not knocking the Hondas. They are great. Just giving you some more choices.

There's a Honda eu2000i...solid winner. Covers all your criteria with Honda reliability

this.

thread over - honestly

The little yamahas are comparable - I think they make a 1000 watt one, not sure about a 2000 watt. When I go camping, I take a long extension cord and face the exhaust in the opposite direction of where the campsite is. When I tailgate for football games, I put the generator in front of the car. I never hear it running in either situation.

Last edited:
Yamaha makes a 1000, a 2000, a 2400 and a 3000, all quiet, inverter types. The 2400 ishc is said to start and run "most" 13,500 BTU RV ACs (I have not tried mine yet as it has not been warm enough). At 75 lbs the 2400 is half the weight of a generator of comparable capacity, but is has a higher displacement engine than many (meaning is it not working as hard at load). It is quite and sips gas.

My EU2000 is rated at 53-59dB(A). The Yam 2000 is rated at 51.5 - 61 and the 2400 at 53-60. Pretty similar given uncertainties as to how these things are measured.

No doubt the Hondas being much more popular would be an easier resell, though.

You should see the frenzy despite high prices whenever a EU is going for sale on the local CL... I missed several and finally got one when the seller put it in the wrong CL section... :) If you buy a EU used, you can be virtually assured that you can sell it for just about the same price later on.

There are other benefits to the Hondas: you can connect some in parallel. Also one can get extended tanks. You can also convert them to running propane.

here is a chart that gives some numbers on sizing for various applicances. Interestingly it gives an idea of the starting surge effect:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/generator/sizing.aspx

Last edited:
+ many on the Honda. I have 2 and a parallel kit. Remember, it is really 1600 continuous, 2000 peak. I've had them since early 2005. Usual Honda reliability. As others have said, very quiet.

Have used them for a variety of power uses. Most memorable is for powering a podium with built in microphone/amplifier for a ground breaking ceremony at work with 150 guests. Put Honda in the pickup box, 50 feet from podium with extension cord. Boss went nuts about the noise that would be made when it was started. It was already running and could not be heard. He calmed down :eek:

They do make noise, just not much.

HTH

I have two Honda Generators, an EU1000 and one from the 70's I inherited from my Stepdad. He was an electrical contractor and used it on job sites, it still runs great. I'd have to say Honda is a one time purchase. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom