Gearbox issues as of late (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey legends.

Its obviously a tough one to diagnose via words and description but I am having some troubles with my gearbox (H55F screwed to a 1HZ).

Engaging 3rd from 2nd seems to ‘tap’ a little bit, almost like a miss shift. Must also note, shifting back into 3rd no problems? Finally, 4th gear from 3rd will make a louder tap/grind sound and can only be fixed by double clutching (even still a feeling can come through the gearstick).

Does this sound like synchros or could it be a shift linkage? 1st, 2nd and reverse are OK.

Any help appreciated, gearboxes are expensive....

Also might add, physical leak ‘above’ gearbox. Almost seems to coming from base of gear stick

Oil can migrate uphill from the t/case, so you should check the gearbox AND t/case levels. If that is the problem you can get a bypass hose for $20 until you fix it properly.
Synchros usually start off going bad 1st to second and get worse everywhere else later.
Is the clutch good? How many klms?

I’ve heard this can be an issue but both T/Case and GB levels okay. Just a bit of weeping. Clutch is good. 1st and 2nd no probs. 400,000ks. Engine healthy. Just this little issue needs rectification. Pulling apart the linkage today to see if I can find anything! Cheers for your input

X2 gear oil.
Flush and or clean the clutch master and clutch slave.
Here's the big one...check clutch pedal height in FSM and perform a good visual of the clutch pedal bracket.
My 91 HZJ75 with the H55f and 470000km had a bracket failure on a road trip, finished the trip without the clutch.
Remedy was to remove the steering column to access the bracket for repair.
Clutch pedal should be firm vertically if you depress and shouldn't deflect sideways. You can also lay on your back and play with the pedal while looking above to the bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom