Gear pattern check - 14 bolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My first gear install. 14 bolt with new 4.88s and bearings. Backlash is .009”

How does the pattern look?

7B96CEA8-054F-4A9E-B9C4-6C0ADE8804C3.jpeg

7748B273-CE26-40E1-B3EB-AB9BF50F4DF8.jpeg

Drive pattern should be a bit more centered (heel-toe) IMO.

Last edited:
No, pinion depth. The shim that goes between the pinion housing and the diff housing, make that thicker by (im guessing) 10-20% and test again.

Backlash is a hair loose too. Range is 0.005"-0.008"

No, pinion depth. The shim that goes between the pinion housing and the diff housing, make that thicker by (im guessing) 10-20% and test again.

Backlash is a hair loose too. Range is 0.005"-0.008"

Ok so adding shins will move the pattern closer to the ‘top’, further away from the ‘root’. Is that way you mean by centering? You’re not taking about centering from toe to heel?

I'm talking about toe to heel. Your drive pattern should be centered.

I was thinking that adding more pinion shim would bring the drive closer to the heel, which is what I am suggesting. One section agrees with that, but the "ideal contact" picture says add backlash. You can't do that, because you already have too much backlash.

I'd add some pinion shim, then recheck, if it were my diff. At the end of the day, it's probably good enough, but I think it could be better.

IMHO that's perfect. Nice work man.

My pattern print isn't as clean as yours, and my ratio seems different, but the drive pattern is centered like yours. I've had no issues, and no abnormal wear, after a number of checks, 2.5 years and >20k miles later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom