Gasoline stoves? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a gasoline stove, something a bit more substantial than my Dragonfly, but not as big as the huge Coleman one I've seen. Anyone know of anything I may have missed?

Coleman 502 which I think is what is called the Sportster. Out of production but they are cheap, dead reliable, and have more BTUs and are more stable than a backpacking stove.

Coleman Peak1 series

Ditto the Peak series, my quest for a Peak brought me to a Coleman "Exponent" which seems to be a newer version of the same thing, came with two generators, one for diesel the other for gas and naptha/"camping fuel". Did not however come with the same nifty case I have seen with the Peak stoves.

Have both Coleman Peak 1 and also an older Coleman (bigger tank) that is also petrol compatible.

Both have been rock solid and the most I've had to do is re-vitalize the cup on the pump (though I do carry a spare generator and pump assy). Had them for 20+ years and they go on all camping trips. Decent simmer capability too. Flat out they push some serious heat.

Though, I do prefer to use the coleman white gas or equivalent just because it evaporates quickly with minimal lingering smell. I take a small bottle of extra fuel on longer trips and eventually resort to petrol when needed.

cheers,
george.

Ditto. I have 3 iterations of the coleman multifuel single burners, and all are rock solid performers with minimal issues. Peak 1, Exponent and the lastest version I bought last spring. I traveled in Mexico for 2 years in my '99 Tacoma where white gas wasnt readily available and had to use gasoline. Had some generator issues so now I have a back up to my back up, just in case. Seems like overkill, but I gotta have my cafe con leche.

While Colemans' work well and are reliable, a step up in reliability is the MSR range of expedition stoves. They are very light, and are very easy to service in the field. They'll also burn kerosene which the Colemans' dont' run well on. I have had an MSR Whisperlite since the early 80s which has worked flawlessly since then with only minor maintenance: jet cleaning, new gaskets.

,I have a small backpacking single burner gas stove I carry in my aircraft survival bag. Have used it over the 40 years without issue. Also have the Coleman single burner gas stove and use it a lot, again without issues. Good luck in you decision.

I use a MSR WhisperLite Universal. It is big enough to hold my coffee pot firmly and runs on multiple fuels. I love this stove.

IMG_0710.jpg

While Colemans' work well and are reliable, a step up in reliability is the MSR range of expedition stoves. They are very light, and are very easy to service in the field. They'll also burn kerosene which the Colemans' dont' run well on. I have had an MSR Whisperlite since the early 80s which has worked flawlessly since then with only minor maintenance: jet cleaning, new gaskets.
I assume youre talking about the Whisperlite International version?

I have the Coleman dual fuel, it works well. I've only used white gas but it will also run on unleaded.

View attachment 2314395
I have had one of these for a year now after being tired of trying to get gourmet on my Whisperlite. I have yet to run unleaded through it but plan to as soon as all of my white gas is one. Colemans are good old stoves. My only complaint is I wish it was wider so you could get two decent size pans on it. Once you start looking at those options is get expensive...

If weight and size are no consideration (vehicle travel) you just can’t beat white gas/gasoline/diesel stoves from Coleman or MSR. Almost any $5 Coleman you pickup at a yard sale ran be up and running fine for decades to come with $15 in parts. None of the whisperlite stoves from MSR simmer very well but otherwise very solid. It’s pretty common that PPL hard mount those to a base for convince. Kinda a “rich mans” Coleman single burner.

If weight and size are no consideration (vehicle travel) you just can’t beat white gas/gasoline/diesel stoves from Coleman or MSR. Almost any $5 Coleman you pickup at a yard sale ran be up and running fine for decades to come with $15 in parts. None of the whisperlite stoves from MSR simmer very well but otherwise very solid. It’s pretty common that PPL hard mount those to a base for convince. Kinda a “rich mans” Coleman single burner.

The MSR Dragonfly is pretty good for simmering.

I cut a diffuser out of some plate I had and that helps keep my oatmeal from getting baked to the bottom of the pan. Since I bought my dual fuel Coleman I don’t use my Whisperlite anymore. I do use it when I cook with my disc. Perfect for that.

The MSR Dragonfly is pretty good for simmering.
Yeah. Specifically the Whisper Lite does not. With the whisper Lite you gotta do some janky stuff to simmer well. Trust me: I know janky!

I cut a diffuser out of some plate I had and that helps keep my oatmeal from getting baked to the bottom of the pan. Since I bought my dual fuel Coleman I don’t use my Whisperlite anymore. I do use it when I cook with my disc. Perfect for that.
Same! I now use my Dads old Coleman duel fuel just for sentimental sake and it still works great. If I’m solo anything I usually just use Esbit as it’s hard to beat the weight and efficiency. Just gotta deal with the smell. Reminds me of that old Andrew Dice Clay joke every time about the fish market. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom