Gas Prices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not saying the oil patch is clean, but show me how a pulp and paper mill is any better, the OSB plant here in town is pumping a lot of crap into the air, and what about the coal power generators out east, Chemical plants, ....... you could go on forever, just saying pointing fingers at one industry won't help us, we have to clean up everything.

Filled up with diesel this morning at Husky in Abby for 94.5 to go into Surrey. Gas her was $121.9 so that is about 27 cents a liter difference. Last weekend in Kelowna diesel was 101.9 at Chevron and gas was 114.9. The will do the same as last year in the summer and push diesel as close to gas as possible without having the trucking industry on the politicians backs. As for the every day Joe drivin their gasser, they don't give a damn as we are not an organized threat ---- YET! A boycott is one thing but say a civil disruption like a one day general strike is another thing. I have seen things like this in South America work very well with the support of small business. They are also getting gouged. From what Cruiser guy has told us, it is obvious that the world price of oil has little to do with it. Yes, governement taxes come into play also. However, if the oil companies think the population will support 130 a liter then they will charge it. Like was said, the gov is making a lot of extra money off the price increases, so they aren't going to do anything really about it unless they think their political careers are on the line.
My 2 cents
John

Deny,
The oil patch is having a large impact on the environment. Probably much more than the mills etc.
I have heard they are getting serious amount of acid rain in North Saskatchewan. In fact soo much that the soil is at critical.

Hey I'm not against mining. I am for it. I am for industry. But the sands are creating lots of green house gas, they are burning lots of energy to make energy. They use 9 drums I am told of water to create one drum of oil. That water is then leaching out into the ground water for hundreds of miles all around. Many places there is no good drinking water.

I am truly against the expansion of that resource. I would not want it stopped, but I would want it slowed down. keep the barrel per day where it's at. Lets keep the resource for the future not blow it all in 20 years.

And they need Nuke power up there to do this separation, they are using too much energy to make this stuff. Wonder why Gas is soo expensive?

Nuclear power is a dirty word in North America due to the Chernobyl and 3 mile Island crises, as well as concerned efforts by environmentalists in the 1970's to kill it. However, having said that, it is now apparent that nuclear power is the ONLY way to go on a big scale, providing the new plants are safer and cleaner. Environmentalists will embrace nuclear power because pretty much every other source of energy creates greenhouse gasses or some other problem except geothermal, solar and windpower. Nuclear power is forging ahead all over the world now and only North America is dragging its feet. China is constructing around 30 nuclear plants now. Japan and France get most of their electricity from nuclear.
I read that about 250 nuclear plants are being designed around the globe right now. They will generate electricity and they will also separate sea water by electrolysis to collect hydrogen to use as a clean fuel. They will also use heat and/or electricity to desalinate sea water for drinking. Nuclear is the power of the future.

I agree fully.

It is the way of the future.

My cousin works in the plant in Ontario.

That's funny you mention wind power Bill,
Up here in the Peace, we have a lot of wind, and there are a lot of private companies that want to set up wind farms, however there is a lot of opposition to them by the locals. You should hear some of their claims, like it will effect their health? They don't mention how, but some how it will (then again I don't blame them, because like I said before, everything we do effects the environment somehow). There is also huge opposition to putting another dam on the Peace River, so somehow, we need energy, and right now gas is the cheapest. So while the oil companies are rakeing it in, and the price of fossil fuels remains below other energy prices, looks like things won't change for a while.

That's funny you mention wind power Bill,
Up here in the Peace, we have a lot of wind, and there are a lot of private companies that want to set up wind farms, however there is a lot of opposition to them by the locals. You should hear some of their claims, like it will effect their health? They don't mention how, but some how it will (then again I don't blame them, because like I said before, everything we do effects the environment somehow). There is also huge opposition to putting another dam on the Peace River, so somehow, we need energy, and right now gas is the cheapest. So while the oil companies are rakeing it in, and the price of fossil fuels remains below other energy prices, looks like things won't change for a while.

We are on the verge of alternate power. I saw a big wind power farm in Chiapas, Mexico in the drive south that was not there 9 months ago. Drive east from LA or San Diego and if you don't see wind farms and maybe even a few photo-voltaic farms you probably had your eyes closed. In Canada we'd best get on the band wagon or we'll be left out. No one is saying that a wind farm is a beautiful thing but a few wind generators in someones wheat field in the Peace River is hardly raping the environment or giving someone cancer or whatever other complaints might be made!

I don't know about on the verge of alternate power, although there are a few hybrids, they still use fossil fuels, almost everyone uses natural gas to heat their homes, I don't see that dissappearing tomorrow, or even in my life time, and I'm not too old. I think most of this extra power is just to keep up with the expanding population, and our increasing dependence on being fat and lazy.
Cheers,
Deny

The geothermal has some potential. Like at Meager Creek, now some private outfits are trying to go ahead with some steam generation. Unfortunately that area is unstable with slides and maybe faults.
Also heat pumps to tap underground heat, although expensive now, may be feasible to heat houses in some areas without as much dependency on energy companies.
As for cars, electric in the city and hydrogen for longer trips. There will be recharge outlets at parking lots and parking meters. We'll be driving peanut size vehicles with a battery range of 100 - 200 km for the day. Made in China of course!

I like algae as a possible solution. My brother was doing some research on this for his biodiesel studies, and there are kinds of algae that are good for oil production. which could then be turned to biodiesel. Imagine the possibilities, since the majority of the worlds surface is covered by oceans. farm that stuff, and it is a double whammy, get the oil for fuel, and they are also using photosynthesis to convert CO2 into Oxygen. Probably just a dream though, but you never know.

Wind power is very eco friendly but not reliable enough. We make a lot of wind power in Alta but the problem is we can't store it. We need the power during the day and if it is not blowing then we fire up the gas turbines. If it is windy at night when the power demand is low we sell it to BC Hydro and they use it to pump water into reservoirs to make elec when it is needed during the day. We buy it back at about 3 times the price we sell it for. So far that is the only way to store wind generated electricity.

"Driving to work every day in a Cruiser is simply too expensive, unless you're filthy rich or own an oil company. Mat: get yourself an old 4 banger Toyota pickup to haul your tools and equipment."

The old '4 banger Toyota pickup' is harder on fuel than the 3B or the 2H. At current fuel prices I pay about 90 dollars evey two weeks and cover about 700 kilometres in commuting.

Biodiesel or WVO will be cheaper. I am going to start setting up this process at home as I have the space and lack of neighbours.

I like algae as a possible solution. My brother was doing some research on this for his biodiesel studies, and there are kinds of algae that are good for oil production. which could then be turned to biodiesel. Imagine the possibilities, since the majority of the worlds surface is covered by oceans. farm that stuff, and it is a double whammy, get the oil for fuel, and they are also using photosynthesis to convert CO2 into Oxygen. Probably just a dream though, but you never know.

I don't know if the link still works. It came out on the DTLC mailing list a few years ago. I'm not sure why nothing like this is happening though. It seems like it would solve alot of problems in the world today!

http://www.unh.edu/p2/biodiesel/article_alge.html

Point Roberts is usually pretty good. Last time I was in Point Roberts it was $0.92 CDN a litre while it was $1.18 CDN in Tsawassen. I've noticed they are generally $0.20-0.30 cheaper...

BTW, they also have a bio-diesel pump just over the border... also makes for a nice drive, and some nice little trails and beaches there ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom