FZJ73 Rear Drive/Prop Shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.billstengel.com
Continuing the theme of "how many things on this 73 are toast?", I scraped the crust off the slip joint on the rear drive shaft and it's got a fair amount of pitting/wear in one spot circumferentially on the splines. My guess is it was maintained rarely if at all throughout its life. I haven't driven the truck yet to know if it's making any specific noises. I've begun to look for options on either a rebuild or a replacement unit. I haven't dug into the U-joints yet, but they're pretty solidly encased in a coating of dried out grease and grime. I could be overreacting and this may have life left in it, but my gut is telling me it's going to need attention in pretty short order.

Is there a supplier that's known to the community for quality driveshafts? I found Tom Wood's page which seems like a good solution, but if there are other's I'd love to know of them. Also, if there's a shop that rebuilds them I'm up for that as well.

Thanks!

U-Joint: ABQ.

Get 2 04371-60210’s and have them rebuild the shaft.

Also, if you aren’t familiar with High Desert Cruisers, I highly recommend getting to know their little section of MUD. They have a thread on all of the quality resources for LCs in the Santa Fe/ABQ area.

U-Joint: ABQ.

Get 2 04371-60210’s and have them rebuild the shaft.

Also, if you aren’t familiar with High Desert Cruisers, I highly recommend getting to know their little section of MUD. They have a thread on all of the quality resources for LCs in the Santa Fe/ABQ area.
Does the front shaft use the same? That particular diagram is tough to figure out.

Update: I ordered the OEM U-joints and brought them along with both shafts to Santa Fe Auto Machine. Thanks for the recco, @Onur, I just don't have time for 4 round trips to ABQ right now.

Turns out the rear shaft was all Dana spec to go with the rear axle but was also fully beaten up to the point that they advised just building a new one for slightly more $ than it needed in repairs. Fortunately, I was able to return the OEM rear U-joints.

Oward!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom